Find
Notify
Tools

Boring Savage performance.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
12/29/06 I piled up a nice Whitetail buck and reloaded my ML10II in the field before retrieving him (uncleaned of course). 12/30/06 I hunted the same stand in the rain and took another beautiful buck at last light. I reloaded my rifle in the rain that evening and never had a chance to unload, I just decapped and placed it in the truck then in the safe that night.

Took it out of the safe last week(11 months later), primed, and fired a round at a target close to 100 yards. Dead center and 1.5" high with an instantaneous ignition. No corrosion and a nice shiney bore.

Boring ole Savage performance.

I just love this rifle.

Ya'll have a Good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can about assure you he was using smokeless, why else have the Savage? I just finished checking the two of them we have in preparation for our gun season. Boring is the word, they just keep hitting the same place every time!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:

Took it out of the safe last week(11 months later), primed, and fired a round at a target close to 100 yards. Dead center and 1.5" high with an instantaneous ignition. No corrosion and a nice shiney bore.

Boring ole Savage performance.

I just love this rifle.

Ya'll have a Good one,

Reloader

OK Reloader, I need the load data now, you have pushed me over the edge, and I have new Savage ML on the way. Damn I like good performing firearms!!!!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK Reloader, I need the load data now, you have pushed me over the edge, and I have new Savage ML on the way. Damn I like good performing firearms!!!!

No problem Fish, My load the past few seasons has been either 43 or 44 grains of IMRSR4759 under a Hornady 250 grn SST with the supplied HPH sabot and lit by Win 209 primers. I don't use the new Win ML primers, I use the primers intended for shotgun reloading.

You can't just shoot any sabots with these rifles, but there are several that will work. You will have the best luck with .452 diameter bullets as Savage recommends. The smaller dia bullets just will not give very good accuracy if you can keep them from blowing sabots.

The Hdy 250 SSTs are consistantly accurate from both of the ML10IIs I've shot. You will have to either modify your ramrod or buy one of those loading tips to protect the pointed plastic tips on the SSTs. I always take a 1/4" drill bit and go into the ramrod end just far enough for it to clear the plastic tip, then I round that edge with whatever tool is available.

Don't know if they are still selling the Savage with the flimzy plastic ramrod or not. I made an aluminum rod for mine and also made one for a bud. You can buy the replacement Traditions aluminum rods really cheap and they work well in the ML10. Heck, I've got a new one at the house, I'll cut it to length, mod the tip for the pointy bullets, and ship it to ya for free if you want it.

I would suggest for starters to buy some IMRSR4759, some HDY 250 SSTs, and some Win 209s. Try 41-42 grns of 4759 to start and see how she shoots.

These rifles come new with a layer of grease in the barrel, so a good scrubing will be needed from the get go. I scrubbed mine with JB bore paste when new.

You'll need to place one wrap of tephlon tape around the ventliner covering the head and all threads. The excess will cut off when you tighten. I tried lube on the VLs and ended up sticking one so badly I had to chunk the breech plug. Since switching to tephlon tape, they've come out with ease ever since. I also wrap one wrap around the breech plug threads as well.

Be sure to seat the sabot as hard as you can. I seem to get great consistency with a good solid seat of the sabots.

You'll love this rifle, it's quite a joy to shoot and just plain deadly on big whitetails. I've taken several of my biggest whitetails with this rifle while using the 250 SSTs. Some think the SSTs are alittle soft, but I've shot through several cropland bucks that weigh 200+ with ease. Shot a nine point head on 2 years ago and didn't get an exit, but it went through all the good stuff and dropped him on the spot.

Be glad to help you with anything I can concerning the new toy.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't own one but a friend does...a synthetic version that's probably one of the first run as it doesn't have the accutrigger. He loads VihtaVuori N110 exclusively. And treats it just as badly as Reloader...out in the rain, sleet, snow, doesn't bother to wipe it down, just rests it in the corner of his garage until next time. Which could be 10 months down the road. Like a Timex watch, it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. Savage Arms deserves a much better repetition for their products than they get.

I'd buy one just for the hell of it, but they're about $550 for the stainless laminated model I covet. Too pricey for my needs. I'll stick with my 45 caliber CVA Firebolt for the few days of inline hunting I do.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If I were limited to using just the Pyrodex or T7 type powders I wouldn't bother with the Savage. It's breechplug design is a real PIA to clean when those type propellants are used. I've tried them in mine and quickly decided the Savage would forever be reserved for smokeless powder only! Buy a Knight KRB or T/C Encore for the pellets or loose Pyrodex.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
I've had good success with mine using 43 gr of N110 VV and the same sabots as reloader. Use the hardened ventliners which last a little longer. Teflon tape is a good idea for the breechplug and vl.....been using antisieze and its a mess to apply and clean up. Did bed the action and target crown the barrel....target crown makes a great funnel for pouring the powder in. Alumunum ramrod with the flip over handle works good with a tip for the pointed sabots.....saves the palm. Nice rig for hunting.

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I had loaded my Savage MLII with 45gr of Vh N110 which gives me 2465 fps under a 250 Hornady SST in black sabot, and clover leaf groups. Didn't take another shot that year, so deprimed and put in my safe with a "LOADED" tag on the trigger gaurd. One year later I pulled the rifle out and went hunting. Saw a doe @ 127 yards, and at the last minute as she was making a quick exit, I shot her with pin point accuracy with no problems. All my hunting buds thought I was nuts when I told them I loaded the rifle the year before.

Smokeless doesn't corrode like BP. The Savage is an amazing rifle. It is as accurate as the average of my centerfire rifles.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I have a Savage also, it is the blued with synthetic stock. It is a tack driver. I am using the 195 gr. Duplex DC bullets from Precision Rifle. People told me they would not shoot well, but I found other wise. The are the .357 cal bullets and I am getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards with then. I use 42 gr. of IMRSR4759 and Winchester 209 primers. The bullets perform flawlessly on deer.

I am thinking of getting a stainless steel one with the laminated thumbhole stock. I sold my Encore Pro-hunter to my buddy the other day, but I still have an Encore 50 Cal muzzleloader as my back up muzzleloader.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
Some of the boring is the act of sending a 250 or 300 grain bullet boring through......

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some sample groups with the boreing savage:

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Redhawk, I'm surprised they shoot that well for you as well. Seems most don't like the smaller cal bullets in these rifles. I still have a couple boxes of the 200grn Shockwaves that I've never tried. May have to give them a go.

I picked up a pound of N110, and intend on giving it a try as well.

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin' Owensby!

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks reloader,I don't shoot these tight groups evrytime I go to the range but luck out sometimes..
Just to show more of what the savage is caple of will ad 2 more pic's.First one is a group (3-shot) measureing less than an inch at 300 yds.Now that is what you call L_U_C_K---y.
Next is a 9 shot group working on some loads useing R-7 powder and 250 xtp's.These were shot this year.Shot a pretty good group last week useing a duplex load 5-shot that measured 1.212in and two 3-shot groups that were less than an inch.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sweet.

Have you tried n110 for straight non-duplexes?

If so, did you like it as much as SR4759?

Thanks,

Reloader

One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
I prefer N110 to 4759 for accuracy in mine. It also outpreformed 5744. 43-44 grains usually gets you in the tight groupings area pretty good.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey reloader thanx for the info i was wondering what people have been using in the savage as i'm planning on buying one

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, i've always heard good things about it but, it's never been available locally so I just out a pound on my last big powder order.

Heck I may use it on my hunt next week. Sadly My rifle got rusty on my Iowa hunt during an ice storm. I'm going to break it down for a good cleaning this weekend and I'll probably send a few 250 SSTs in front of N110 down range. Thinking I'll start with a few at 42 grns and then try some at 43. You using subs or bare HPH (Supplied) sabots?

Thanks,

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader when you get the N110 try 42,43 and 44.5 grs with the 250 sst.
I sold a ML 11 this year that really like the 42 gr load.
The 44.5 gr load shot good for me in cold weather but had to reduce down in warmer weather.
The 4759 shoots good for me in cold and hot weather,as long as I let the barrel cool down between shots,then again I am shooting a pretty stiff load of it.