New
Find
Notify
Tools

First MLoader
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm scheduled for a ML hunt for elk next year. I know next to nothing about front loaders and thought I might get some advise here on what rifle to choose. I'm looking for simple, flat shooting, accurate and with an adjustable trigger. Other than that I'm open to any suggestion.

THX

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mark, I PMed you.

This section is very broad. Traditional and modern M/L hunters try to share this area.

If it is a modern set up you want, call me.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rather important to know where you intend to hunt the Elk. Some states have specific requirements that make some choices of rifles less desirable. Thompson Center for one is rather hit and miss as to how they will shoot full bore conical bullets which some states require. Most states require a .50 cal although Arizona does not. Most elk states do not allow smokeless powder so the Savage is pretty much not a good choice although it will shoot other powder but not as well as rifles that are black powder specific. The only flat shooting .50 cal rifles are those custom ones out of Michigan that require a shooter that is not recoil sensitive, and even then the trajectory is pretty curved compared with cartridge rifles.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
ML -----pleez fill in the blank-------whom is the Michigan manufacture that you refer to??
Inquiring minds want to know
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLKeith:
Rather important to know where you intend to hunt the Elk. Some states have specific requirements that make some choices of rifles less desirable.

+1

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MLKeith,
Just curious as to why you say a Savage ML will not shoot BP or other sub's as well as guns that are specifically for BP or sub's? I currently own two Savages as well as a T/C Encore and an Omega and I'll be darned if I can see them shooting any better than the Savage with BH209...or T7 when I used that. I will admit that if I were limited to only non-smokeless powders I would likely not buy the Savage, mostly because of their cost.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my TC Triumph & Blackhorn 209 powder with a wide range of bullets. No need for an adjustable trigger - perfect from the factory.

Posts: 132 | Location: WI. | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Let's talk about this in AZ...I have a few opinions Wink!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Go with a T/C Encore, they have really done great things with this smoke pole.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also favorable to the t/c encore

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The T/C is way overpriced for what you get.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as uaing a Savage for other than smokeless my concern is that it is a little more complicated to clean due to the smokeless requrements in the breech area and it is pretty heavy compared with "standard" (non-smokeless) type of muzzleloaders. I'm sure it will perform just as well but not worth the extra money and complication. If you check the internet for magnum muzzleloaders I think you can find the expensive ones that shoot very heavy loads. Personally I have no need for such range or recoil.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I did the legwork. If you want to spend a lot of money and want a rifle that will kick the crap out of you contact:

Ultimate Firearms in Michigan
or
BP Express in Washington
or
Bad Bull in Kentucky

The Ultimate was the one I was referring to in the first message. These either shoot smokeless or some use up to four pellets (200gr. of powder). They are made on centerfire rifle actions with very special breechplug designs.

posted Hide Post
Accurate, adjustable trigger...

CVA Apex is a hell of a shooter for us.

Posts: 24 | Location: Boncarbo,CO | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote