New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flintlock venison
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took my .54 caliber flintlock Lyman Great Plains Rifle into the woods for the last weekend of our muzzleloader season. Anxious to avoid a "no spark" misfire I took pains to be certain the frizzen was dry and the flint sharp and kept the lock covered with a cow's knee until the last moment. The GPR sparked just fine and a .530 ball, 0.010 Wonderlube patch, and 90 grains by volume of Goex FFFg sealed an adult whitetail doe's fate as quiting time approached on Saturday afternoon. The shot was pretty straightforward affair from an improvised rest at 30 yards or so, but tracking was a challenge and recovery was delayed until Sunday morning. I was reminded that shots are frequently less broadside than they appear over the sights, that even a lungshot deer does not always leave a blood trail right away, and that when you think you've looked enough you should look some more. Good hunting!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey congrats MB!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations........I'd love to try hunting with flints.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd love to try hunting with flints
It is great fun. I've taken three whitetails with my rocklocks now, one with a Tulle 1734 pattern Fusil de Chasse I built myself. The Lyman and T/C locks are pretty good for an affordable off the shelf rifle. You should try it; then there would be two flintlock users here at the "muzzleloading big game" forum...

One of Us
Picture of Sixgun Symphony
posted Hide Post
Excellent! cheers

Got any pics?

Posts: 1254 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote