ACCURATERELOADING.COM MUZZLELOADING BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Muzzleloading Big Game Hunting    What is the best way to clean breach plugs and nipples

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best way to clean breach plugs and nipples
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Nasty grungy slag!! Whatever you call it? How do you clean up your 209 fouled breach plugs?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I use Windex. When I'm ready to clean the gun, I stick a round toothpick in the primer vent and fill the barrel with Windex. Set it aside for 30 minutes or an our. Pull the toothpick and let some Windex wash out your primer hole and then pour the remainder out the muzzle. Then remove the breech plug and I use a stiff bristle artist brush to "sweep out" any residue the Windex didn't dissolve. Run a clen patch down the barrel several times, then an oiled patch. Grease the breechplug threads, reinstall and you're ready to put the gun away.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot primarily BP substitutes, but will use black on occasion. I use a lot of citric acid based cleaners. They clean quickly, w/o much fanfare. They just work... I spend less than 10 minutes, and the rifle(s) are ready to shoot again.

Now having said that, to clean the breach plug, I brush the threads out with a plastic-bristled cleaning brush, and then if necessary use a wire wheel after I get home to get rid of the stubborn stuff... The flash hole (and I use #11 caps) comes clean with the citrus cleaners and maybe judicious application of a toothpick.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will need a laundry sink, pair of pliars, spray can of auto Brake Cleaner with nozzle. You will also need a sewing needle that barely penetrates the flashhole. Add a medium bristle, full head toothbrush - couple of Q-tips and a spray bottle of Simple Green undiluted.

I use the pliars to hold the plug under very hot water to dissolve the intial crud. Then clean with the products I described above. Most of it is self-expanatory.... like the sewing needle for clearing the flashhole - Q-tips for cleaning around the primer hole area.... brake cleaner inside the plug - Simple Green outside of the plug.... etc.

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
May not be the best but, just soak it in hoppes bp cleaner and scrub with a old tooth brush. Then pick the small stuff off with a flat head eye glass screw driver. You can clean the nipple with a toothpick and needle.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do it pretty much the way Reloader does it. I use regular Hoppes, since most all of the residue is shotgun primer residue. That ia what Hoppes is best at IMHO. I do use a pipe cleaner and nipple pick on the flash hole. I just soak the breech plug while I am cleaning the rest of the rifle and do it last.

A tooth brush works well for removing the rest os the crud.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have done just about all of the above. I have found that (sand blasting) with fine silaca media and low pres. about 40psi. gets them 100% but there is no super fast quicky gimmick to get these little suckers clean.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I never clean them. I just buy a new one every year and give the last one to someone else and tell them it needs to be cleaned. Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
George knows what works. Windex windex windex. Try it, you'll be surprised. Even you ted thorn.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I use the Multi purpose Windex with Vinegar. It works great.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
hot soapy water and toothbrush.If you think an inline breechplug is hard to clean,you should own an expensive sidelock.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Nasty grungy slag!! Whatever you call it? How do you clean up your 209 fouled breach plugs?

Dish Soap, and old tooth brush, and plenty of hot water.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I had to bring this back up to the top.....I just cleaned my breach plug in my Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner!!!

I will never do it another way again....like new!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tip cleaners for Acetylene torches ar good for getting the holes reamed out

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have even boiled plugs that had been long neglected. Boiling water, dish soap, 10 to 15, even 30 minutes. Then re-grease and your good to go.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote