Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: smoke poll roll call
 Login/Join

posted
I'm a "One gun at a time" kinda guy so, right now, all I have is a Lyman GPR .54. Killed 3 deer here in MD with it this year. Prior to that I had a Rem 700ML .50, a T/C Renegade .50, and a T/C Hawken .50 that I built from a kit in the early 80s. Just like every centerfire needs a good .22 companion, I think I need a .40 flintlock longrifle to go with my Lyman.

Posts: 8 | Location: Mt, Airy, MD | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
700 Nitro,

I have owned 4 different muzzle loading weapons to date. My first was a Thompson Center New Englander 50 cal., very nice rifle, but sold it due to the fact it did not like shooting sabots.
Second was an old army .44 cap and ball revolver that was given to me as a gift from a co-worker.I still have the pistol but have yet to load and fire it.
Third was a CVA Firebolt 50 Cal that shot pretty well for the price. I took my first muzzle loading whitetail with the CVA, a big doe that I shot while sneeking corn rows.
My fourth and favorite weapon, which replaced the CVA, is a Knight Disc 50 cal stainless with a 3-9 Nikon scope. This is by far the most accurate front stuffer I have had the pleasure of shooting, and plan on shooting a hog with it the end of this month in Texas.
Fordfreak.

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 Hawken types a 45 turned 54,another 54 and now a 50. I only use them for small game and fun but oh what fun. I also like introducing other people to the sport. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lol i love your little animation fordfreak now if i could just find one that says chevy we will be all set.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
BH1 present and accounted for....

Currently have a.50 Cal Knight LK93 Wolverine inline, want a Lyman GPR Hunter in .54 and a Kentucky or Tennesse flinter kit.

So far have taken 2 deer this season with the Knight.

BTW - Make mine a Mopar !

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dont know if any 1 here is interested but i have a friend of mine a custom gun smith who makes german jager gun who has a 62 caliber and a a 4 bore the 62 caliber is a flinter and is made to be a little on the light side for to make it easy to carry and the 4 bore is percussion and comes with 100 balls and a mould i belive.

the 4 bore is 2600 and the 62 caliber is 1100 both are engraved with stirling silver inlays but the 62 is far more heavly engraved and inlayed both have hooked breeches

if any 1 is interested post here or pm me or email.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I build custom Muzzleloaders, so for favorites: my favorite is a DIMERICK, ( a heavy Hawken style) in the .58 cal. percussion. For small game it would be a .32 cal flinter, copied from a Jacob Small.
On the bench now is a .58 cal. flint. perrevoultion, transition rifle.
The Dimerick has taken 23 deer, 1 elk, and 1 Buffalo. < !--color-->

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool its nice to see some people here who like to build there owen rifles.

My favorite custom gun maker for black powder rifles is Jim Gefroh from fort Collins Co he makes one heck of a gun

His engraving and silver inlays are beautiful I highly recomend his work.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Current favorite is a .63 Caliber Swedish Alg (European Moose) Rifle. The metal parts were made in 1848. My dad found it with a broken stock while working in Panama in 1957, and had a Panamanian gunsmith restock it with Rosewood.

Also have a .54 caliber TC Renegade.

I have owned several others over the years, including one I built from a kit.

My dream muzzleloader is to find one built by a Maryland gunsmith by the name of David Anderson. David was a family friend and was like an older brother when I was a teenager. He moved to Colorado and went to work for an outfitter in 1973, and we lost contact with him. He would be about 60 now, and I would love to find him or at least one of his guns. He built Pennsylvania and Kentucky style rifles that were one-of-a-kind. A customer would tell him the locality and approximate time of construction that was desired, and David would build the gun.

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Let's see smoke poles:
40/65 Sharps
45/70 Rolling Block
45/70 Sharps
45/120 Sharps
50/70 Sharps

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i take it you like the old buffalo guns the only bp breech loaders i ever had were a 45/120 sharps from pedersoli and a custom 50/70 rolling block maker unknown

one of us
posted Hide Post
canuck the reason i ask is i have a few friends from victoria thats all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GrizzlyClaus here. I currently own 5 muzzleloading and 1 cartridge blackpowder guns. 2-45 cal. Traditions in-lines, 1-50 cal T/C Renegade percusion, 2-54 cal Flintlocks- a Lyman Deerstalker and a Custom w/ Green Mtn barrel and a 1851 Navy Sherrifs model in 44 cal. The Cartridge gun is an 1886 Win extra lightweight. Love them all but shoot the flintlocks the most.

Posts: 32 | Location: York, PA | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
700, that's how I took your question. I was just answering, although somewhat smart-aleky (sp?). I live in north eastern BC, which is a long ways from Victoria (distance wise, climatalogically and politically speaking).

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had cva hunterbolt 50 cal. ,own the 45cal. firebolt, 45cal, optima pro,winchester apex 45 cal. and soon will be the proud owner of a .451 white whitetail97 m/l.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm brand new to BP Just got a CVA Optima.50 cal. and am learning to load it now. Hope to hunt with it this year !

Posts: 231 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I don't have one yet, but, on my wish list is the Savage. Just as soon as they get the Accutriggers in and are selling again, I will buy one.

I am in a shotgun only area for deer and my hunting area is huge open fields (farm country) and I could use the extended range the Savage will offer.

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smokepoles....Currently have a TC .54 Hawken that was a
kit gun. A CVA Kentucky Rifle (kit) that I have added several inlays to. A TC Seneca .36, and a couple of replicas hanging over the fire place that I reworked.
With the Hawken, I can keep them inside 4" at 80 yrds. the CVA about the same. The Seneca, when I do my part, five inside my thumbnail at 35 yrds. All using roundball.
Overall, the Seneca and the CVA are my favorite. The rifle has an excellent balance and I have taken Whitetail with it
out to 80 yrds. All are caplocks and I shoot black powder
and patched roundball. One recommendation, if you shoot
round ball and are having accuracy problems, find the add from Dutch Shultz and order his info. My .54 was dead on at 70 yards and 18 inches low and to the right at 100. CVA was ok. Now, both are in the kill zone for whitetail at 100yrds with iron sights and old eyes.

Posts: 49 | Location: Indiana by way of Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.54 flint Pedersoli Mortimer; said to be the epitome of flint target rifles. It will shoot 2" groups @ 100yards with my own cast roundballs and 90 grains of 2Fg. Killed a whitetailed doe with it 4 years ago. That gave me a lot of satisfaction.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also a muzzleloader fan. In fact, I earn My living making them. I live in central Wyoming, and I have been a "muzzleloader gunsmith" for 14 years, and a gunsmith for 31 years.

SZ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Whale,

Sorry I've been away for so long. I didn't see You question until now

Yes and Yes, but only when I have to.

I make barrels and locks when I can't buy what I need, or at least buy something I can modify into what I need. I have a picture of a Left Hand Jaeger lock which is 100% hand made by Me, and I have tried to post it but the computer won't let me. No one makes a Jaeger lock in L.H., so I had to make this one. It drives the price of My guns up in a hurry, but sometimes there is no other choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
have you tryed l&r locks they should make 1 i have there locks on both of my jager rifles.

posted Hide Post
I own many T/C muzzleloaders, too many to list, a Lyman Deerstalker, .54 cal., a N.E.F. Huntsman, .50 cal., a Pedersoli 12 guage sxs, Ruger Old Army Revolver, .45 cal. My favorite is a T/C White Mountain Carbine, in .54 cal.

Posts: 2 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,

There is....

A Martini 45-70
A Greener 45-70
A Parker-Hale Volunteer .45

And some originals:
Westley Richards ZAR 577-450 (2 of them)
Steyr - Martini 500/450 #2 musket
Another african sporter Martini in the same calibre
A Swinburn 577-450
A Brit military Martini Mk II
2 Sniders in .577 Snider

one of us
posted Hide Post
I make muzzleloaders for a living. I hunt with a .62 cal flinter, made in the "1745-1750 Christian Springs" style. It's an "American Jaejer" with a 37" barrel. The butt of it is shown in the single shot forum. It's the one with the maple stock and the carving. The other butt stock is of a blunderbuss with a walnut stock and wire inlay. The longrifle is also a Christian Springs style, but of cerca 1770.
(I am ignorant of computers to the point I can't move the pictures to this forum. )

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Lessee, for muzzlestuffers:

A brace of Uberti 1860 Army .44s

Colt 'Signature' 1862 Police .36

.54 flint Pedersoli Mortimer

14 bore percussion double rifle from 1850s

Ctg :

.450/.400 2-3/8" BPE

.450 3-1/4" BPE

.577/.450

.577 Snider

Repro '66 in .38-40

Taylor Spencer repro .44 Russian

A brace of repro 1872 Colts in .44 Colt & Russian

A smattering of old 12 and 16 bores

Smoke 'em!

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi 700
Yeah, I know the L&R company well, and I'm friends with Bill Cox. I've been tring to talk him (and Jim Chambers) into doing a left hand jaeger for about 8 years now, but so far, no leftys in that style.
I have read that 11% of the population is left handed, but about 1 in 5 of the guns I build is lefty. I have to make some of the hardware for these guys, because I can't buy it. The closest L.H. lock I know of which can be made into a "jaeger" is the Siler, but it is a little small for guns of the 1760 era and before.
I don't mind making totally hand made locks (or guns for that matter) but I can't do it inexpencively, and most people don't or can't pay what it takes to make such guns. I make a lot of very nice guns in the $3000 to $3500 range, but if I make a similar gun from scratch with all hand made parts, it becomes a $6500-$7000 gun. It's just the cost of the time.Even at $7000 I am not making much money. Such a gun takes Me about 8-10 weeks to Make.