Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best sabot out there
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
Some load easy some load hard some are just better than others what's your opinion

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You want the one that holds up best - provides the best shot groups & won't create grunts and groans while loading. Both Harvester and MMP make thick & thin sabots. Both sabot makers are very good - very trustworthy.

If you are trying to find out what color sabot works best for 50-cal MLs, I by-far prefer the high pressure 45/50 black. My 2nd & last choice choice is the blue 40/50. I no longer have any faith in the green 44/50 sabot for shots beyond 100 yards. No matter what bullet I try - what gun I try - what powder I try.... I get occasional flyers.

........ Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas" ............

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The sole and only reason I am now shooting powerbelts is because of the ease of loading. I want to find an easy to load sabot. They are just so much cheaper to shoot. I'm not sure if they are more or less accurate than powerbelts but I do no they are far less expensive. I shoot a Knight Disc Elite .45 cal

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
The sole and only reason I am now shooting powerbelts is because of the ease of loading. I want to find an easy to load sabot. They are just so much cheaper to shoot. I'm not sure if they are more or less accurate than powerbelts but I do no they are far less expensive. I shoot a Knight Disc Elite .45 cal

Powerbelts are great, that is until you actually hit a deer with one !!!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Inlines 45 & 50 I only use TC and hornady bullets in all of them and accuracy is great with Hodgton Triple 7 3F powder 2x caliber powder load My Encore .50 does best with 80 grains Volume measure and power belts wipe between shots !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I seem to get the best accuracy in several Mlers with HPHs.

They load very hard in almost every rifle I've used them in but, have proven to be very accurate in each.

MMP makes alot of good sabots, I'd say IMO they are the best sabot maker.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Powerbelts are great, that is until you actually hit a deer with one !!!!

I have only pulled the trigger on two powerbelts at two deer. So far two dead deer full passthrough behind the shoulders no bone realy to test yet. I do shoot 120 grns of 777 behind my 225 hollow points

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:

They load very hard in almost every rifle I've used them in but, have proven to be very accurate in each.

Good Luck

Reloader

Are the MMP sabots easy to load?

posted Hide Post
Depends upon the bullet/sabot combination. Their HPH12 coupled with a Hornady XTP is a snug fit in my rifles, whereas the same sabot paired with a Barnes 275gr XPB is no problem to get down the barrel, even after several shots with no patching between shots. Their orange colored HPHs are designed for .458" bullets and everything I load with them goes down the bore quite nicely and produces very good accuracy. They have an HPH24 that has thinner petals and is made for very easy loading, which it does accomplish. But, I haven't seen much accuracy while using them with various bullets. In my experience, there needs to be a fair amount of resistance when ramming the bullet/sabot down the barrel if good accuracy is the goal.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Ted,

I agree with John, some of the easy to load sabots are not very accurate. In fact, in my Knight rifle I never really saw good accuracy until I switched to the HPH 12s. They are very tight but not too hard to load(this is with .452" bullets). If you dropped to a .451" they may be alittle easier but, I'd question the accuracy until I tested them.

Some muzzleloaders do the best with tight fitting sabots.

You may have luck with the new easy load variety of sabots. It really depends on the Muzzle loader barrel. IMO it depends alot on the land diameter vs. groove diameter in the barrel. By that I mean the barrels with more of a raised rifling seem to do better with the looser loading sabots.

I've had descent results in CVAs and Remington 700mls with the looser sabots due to the rifling but, In my knight with its larger land diameter I cant get much accuracy at all with loose fitting sabots.

Check out MMPs website:

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

They are the best IMO.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my experience with sabots is limited to 1 rifle a T/C thunderhawk, but it seems to shoot any of them well. For the last 2 years I've shot the traditions sabot with the BT 250 gr bullet, last year they called it the T-shock XLR, this year the same bullet was the traditions APB. they load easier than most sabots and in my TC they make 1 ragged hole at 100 yds. to date there have been 5 deer taken past 150 yds with them. one was a bang flop at 208 yds.
shooting the hard loading sabots I always just put a lil bore butter on the sabot, helps loading and doesn't effect accuracy in my rifle.
RR

Born to Hunt, Forced to Work.

Posts: 103 | Location: Mathias wv | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I might be one of the few shooting the yellow sabots with the Barnes (Knight) spitfire and spitfire TMZ. They start very slowly but once they are about 1/4 way down the Omega they go easily.
Still shoot the best so that's what I'm after...

Still waiting for Peyton to win the big one...

Posts: 7 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 09 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of woodseye
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats been my experience also although I'm blessed with a gun that doesn't fight me when pushing them down. I like the sst/shockwave
with the MMP sabots in my savage and beartooth ML'ers.

Savage ML'er....... a New Generation Traditionalist....... Thanks to Henry Ball

Posts: 672 | Location: Northern Border Country | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
I had many problems finding a sabot for my Knight .50 that worked for me. I tried Hornady's SST 300 Gr. It was accurate, but would not open when it hit the animal. I tried Powerbelts, I loved the ease of loading, but my gun and my dad's Omega scattered them. I found the best bullet for my gun and the best penetrating and performance came for the 300 gr. Barnes. On a hunt for Elk in New Mexico, I witnessed several bullet performances. From that I concluded I would never use Powerbelts or TC Sabots for Elk. There were three bullets recovered on Elk. The TC and Powerbelt fell apart. This is a picture of the Sabot recovered from my dad's Elk at 206 yards. The Sabot entered behind the rib cage and was recovered in the hide on the off sholder:

I shot a bull the next day at 210 and the bullet went through not to be recovered.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote