New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pyrodex and no. 11 caps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
IS pyrodex just as good as black powder when using no. 11 percussions caps?

A few years ago I tried Goex clearshot with the no. 11s and I guess they did not have enough fire to get the clearshot going good. The recoil with the clearshot was about half of what it was with blackpowder.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problems with loose Pyrodex and no.11 caps. I used Pyrodex RS for years in my side hammers with no trouble.

Posts: 44 | Location: Winkler, MB | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make it a point to use RWS caps only, and they will light anything! I actually prefer Pyrodex P for all my blackpowder hunting. Not as fast as 777 on the chrono, but no crud ring and easy to get the breech plug out. With any oil fouled powder you may notice a slight hesitation, but it will still shoot.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
no,pyrodex is nowhere near as easy to ignite as blackpowder.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the link below and take a look at the Mag Spark. They allow the use a 209 primer. I use them on my side locks and they work great. I have a Pedersoli double 50cal, and a 50cal T/C Hawken and use them on both. They are weather proof and the 209 primer will light anything. I live in Southeast Georgia, and it is damp and sometimes rainy during our black powder season. I have never had a misfire even in a downpour.

www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something that I found that worked well and was closer to being authentic was to order from Dixie Gunworks a 1/4 X 28 nipple that would take a musket cap. It will set off about anything with reliability.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have not had any trouble lighting Pyrodex powders with the #11 RWS percussion caps. I know Doc White prefers the musket cap on his rifles because the flame is enough to light anything but not enough to move the charge forward like the 209 does, and the violence of the cap detonation blows the fragments off the nipple (you don't have to remove anything to reload).

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. They are helpful. I leave Friday for a muzzleloader deer hunt in Southern NM. Wish me luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:
Thanks for the responses. They are helpful. I leave Friday for a muzzleloader deer hunt in Southern NM. Wish me luck!

Stevie, first of all Good Luck Indeed!
I was reading a bunch of online reviews at different web sites today re: No 11 caps, and the OVERWHELMING commentary was that folks had a lot of misfires, non-fires etc. with the various #11 caps, especially the 'special' Winchester caps specifically made for the Triple 7 pellets, which speculation was that hey were just 11's in 209 clothing....

I would stick with straight up 209 primers.
It's interesting, but the only 2 primer mfgs. I'll hunt with their primers is Winchester and CCI, I've never had one fail on me, had LOTS of Federals fail, and a few of the others, but for hunting, it will always be a CCI or Win. primer for me........

Saw some whopper Mulies in southern NM a few weeks back while poking around looking at antelope, get you a good one!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No luck on the deer. Saw two or three spikes and a few does. The Guadalupe Mountains still have not recovered from the 10 year drought.

Had a great time though. I took my 9 year old daughter along and she had a wonderful time.