Find
Notify
Tools

Re: what is in pyrodex
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I don't know that sodium is corrosive but for sure Pyrodex is VERY corrosive, esp, the fouling. Why not use the real thing? Works better, less corrosive by a lot, and way cheaper. Also doesn't degrade with time.
Brent

One very good reason not to use Goex or other original powders is availability....Pyrodex and T7 are available just about anywhere smokeless powders are sold, but black powder isn't. I prefer Goex myself, but because no one sells it locally, I don't use it much.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pwm,
No, it is not. Bill Knight and others have researched this pretty well.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's true, but then you have to pay the hazmat fee which adds to the cost, the only way that works out is to split an order amoungst others, but at that cost, you might just as well shoot pyrodex or for a little more power and cost, T7 or even BlackMag3. Link below for those interested...

http://www.powderinc.com/

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how you do the math, but I paid less than $10/lb for Goex last time I ordered, and $15/lb for Swiss, and both of these FAR exceed the quality of pdex or t7, or any other of the fake stuff. More power? Not that I've seen - less in fact. Cheaper than smokeless I believe as well.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swiss FFF is potent stuff. Ya' better have a strong, good condition T/C, Knight or White barrel ML when using above 80 grains. If using customized barrels, check with the manufacturer first. BIG difference between Swiss FF and FFF as far as bore pressures go. If you're using 110-120 grains of loose 777 & switch to Swiss FFF, ya' better have a long string attached to your trigger if doubts about barrel durability exists in your mind.

Use FF or 1.5F Swiss.... especially if you own Italian or Spanish barrel rifles!

Posts: 138 | Location: Not Tellin' Michigan USA | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote