New
Find
Notify
Tools

pics of my 2 bore(some 1 wanted them)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I no longer owen this gun but here are a few photos of the gun incase some 1 here is thinking of building 1 and wants to see 1 type of design.

heres a 10 bore ball on the left a 2 bore ball on the right

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
That thing is ENORMOUS! Bet it kicked like all hell What on earth would that beast be used to hunt for? Probably would not take long to burn through a can of powder LOL Or KEG of powder!!!

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
iron buck i used 550-600grains of fg swiss black powder a 18 thou patch and a 1.300 dia ball

that means 11-12 shots to the pound of powder.

i could only fire 5-6 shots then i would have to break for at least 1 hour then fire some more recoil was absolutly terrible.

the main purpose of the gun was elephant but i desied to go to something with more fire power(something with more than 1 shot and can be reloaded in a hurry)

one of us
posted Hide Post
700nitro... If I remember right, you had hunted a few hogs with that 2 bore, how did it work out?

I would like a 4 bore.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i never got to shoot anything real huge but i did shoot a few hogs with it it is absolutly devistaing nothing ran after being hit.

if your interested in a 4 bore i have 1 for sale its a german jager type rifle in mint condition there a ver robust very strong gun it has a fiber optic front sight a shallow v express rear sight the hunting charge is 400 grns of fg swiss black powder.

email me if your interested.i am asking about 2800$

one of us
posted Hide Post
700nitro what was the actual physical effect of the shot when fired?

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OUCH , is all I got to say about that gun.

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought my 4-bore with 350gr of powder was pleanty of fun! I have a 1.375" cannon. With 500gr of 2f it is quite scarry. I would be quite afraid of sustaining that kind of recoil. A guy could get hurt!

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
karl do you mean what happend when the ball hit its target. if so the hog was rolled sideways and fell to the shot it did not twitch it just stopped. blood and organ matter was blowen out of the exit wound for yards and where the ball hit the hog the was a huge amount of blood on the ground.
all of the organs in the front half of the hog were liqufied.

posted Hide Post
I had the pleasure of holding that gun to my shoulder when I was back east visiting last winter at 700 nito's folks place.
Man, that is one heavy brute of a gun. I think a guy shooting that rig, would be almost thankful after it bowls you over and you finally get to lay down and take a break ....LMBO

Posts: 6 | Location: Mid-Vancouver Island, BC | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No 700nitro, I meant a description of recoil on you.

You may want to check your old posts before you answer..

Karl.

one of us
posted Hide Post
recoil was brutal i could only fire 5-6 shot and i would start to get a headach i then took a 1 houre break and went at it again. it helps if you take a asprin or a tylenol befor you shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see you have neglected to answer my question on the other thread as to how you managed to chronograph these loads, when you had already sold the gun by the dates given...

Since you were 'rehabilitated'in 2002 ,and no longer lie compulsively, you should have no problem explaining these small impossible matters.

However, getting back to this thread, by recoil effects, I meant what was the effect of firing the 2 bore upon your mass?
Eg stance, positioning from the shot, and muzzle-rise etc.

Karl.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That thing is huge...I dont think an aspirin or tylenol would help me after shooting it...I think it would take bourbon or tequela to make the pain go away...then the pain starts when you wake up...so it goes...
Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
It certainly hasn't helped 700nitro's spelling!

Quote:

recoil was brutal i could only fire 5-6 shot and i would start to get a headach i then took a 1 houre break and went at it again. it helps if you take a asprin or a tylenol befor you shoot.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hobie maybe it will come to you sooner or later but i dont care about editing my typing every one here seems to know what i am saying so why even bring it up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I thought my 4-bore with 350gr of powder was pleanty of fun! I have a 1.375" cannon. With 500gr of 2f it is quite scarry. I would be quite afraid of sustaining that kind of recoil. A guy could get hurt!

Sir Samuel White Baker, one of the old time hunters, used to 'get hurt' firing his gun in the 1800's.It fired a 3500gn projectile but with a reduced charge. The recoil used to spin him around, and sometimes bloody his nose and give him a concussion. It knocked two of his gunbeares down when they were cleaning it.
Baker was an old stlye strongman but he admits he was never able to handle more than a single firing, and he eventually retired braindamaged from the recoil of his big guns.

At '1300fps'(700nitros claim) a 20lb 2 bore will be clocking up an extra 1/3 recoil over Baker's gun.
This is in the vicinity of 600ftlbs, 10-12 times higher than a 458win mag to put it another way.

I've been researching 2 bores for years and when they occasionally surface, I have always found they are either

A .Used with greatly reduced charges.(the ball rolls out of the barrel and keeps the whole thing at '4 bore kick')

B. Reduced payloads (As in the 2 guage the Brits have, uses only 5 ounce loads so might as well be a 4 guage)

C. A and B but the owner does not admit to it.

Karl.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Strange we do not hear any of the effects Sir Samuel White Baker suffered at the hands his 2 bore, from 700nitro.
hmmm...

Karl.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think the recoil would be all that bad for me.... I would quickly become airborn and would only have to worry about where I was going to land

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
karl that is why i got rid of the dam thing you could only fire a few shots then you had to wait a while befor shooting some more.(the gun as far as i am consered was a wast of time)it was fun but had very little practical use it would be differnt if we were back in 1850 and thats all we had. butwith smokless power why use it when i can use a 470 or 577 nitro or the like.

one of us
posted Hide Post
700nitro I'd say the fact the recoil made you sell it is about the only truthful post you have answered me with.

Whether or not you were firing dozens of shots in a day at the levels you claim, when old time hunters could only manage the same amount in their entire careers is the question.

On the strength that your 'updated velocity
testing' seems to have occurred almost a year after you had sold the 2 bore(somehow?), we can probably treat anything you say with similar seriousness.

Karl.

PS I am still waiting for explanation as to how you performed the load testing once you no longer had the gun.
Or would it just be easier to say most of your posts in reference to it were bullshit?