New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What to build next?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
you know, I'd like sometime to build a .50 cal double rifle (percussion). The right bbl would have the lock/hammer on the right side of the bbl and the left would have just the opposite. It's the only way to get a quick second shot from a muzzle loader. Anyone have experience in building these or a source of parts for the left-sided lockwork? maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 58cal buggy rifle.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The drums, they've stopped... Where is everyone?

So, having aquired most of the tools and accessories needed to build muzzleloaders when assembling my Tulle Fusil de Chasse it seems shame not to use them again. So what should I build next? Trade Gun; Chief's Grade or plain? French Type D, Type C, or a brass mounted Tulle Fusil Fin? All these but the Fusil Fin would be 20 ga smoothbores. The Fusil could be a 44 inch .58 caliber rifle without getting too heavy. Otherwise been thinking on a schimmel, barn gun, or poor boy rifle. Suggestions welcome, jawjacking appreciated. Good hunting! McB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
Neat idea. I've often been tempted, being a handy kind a guy. I've built a Hawken kit and re-furbished a .58 Zouve but I have been put off by trying to source the necessary parts. Dixie arms seems to have a very limited selection and I can't see anything there that turns my crank. My thought leans toward re-producing a revolutionary era pistol . Anybody have any suggestion for parts sources?
Grizz
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Though I am not necessarily a fan of German guns, I once saw a home-built German Jaeger in 62 caliber rifled barrel - quite spectacular. It was a flinter.

The Jaeger is a rifle that gives you almost infinite options for decorative carvings and inlays. It will keep you busy for a long time and be a very useful rifle in the end.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Track of the Wolf; I've purchased a fair amount from them in the past and they always seem to have the highest quality items- much better selection and quality than DGW IMO.

Posts: 31 | Location: Maine | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
How about a Westley Richards Monkey tail carbine?

The originals were actually breech loading but one would make a cute and interesting project.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote