New
Find
Notify
Tools

I feel I have to brag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sunday my son got his elk. This makes 8 elk in 9 years between the two of us (all cows).You have to be drawn here in AZ. All shot with the same TC Hawken. All were one shot kills except for the one Sunday and it was the only one where we used a sabot instead of a round ball. Took 3 shots with the sabots to put her down so we're going back to round balls.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats to you and your son!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had similar results with 300gr. bullets in sabots. Usually requires more than one to put a big cow down. I am switching to 460gr. No Excuses solid conicals as I just got a White that will shoot them. I have only been drawn four times in seven years. How do you get drawn so many times? I also put in for antlerless muzzleloader but didn't make it this year. What area are you hunting? I usually hunt 6A

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually hunt unit 8 and what we do is put in for the draw seperately so if only one of us is drawn we both go and help the other one out.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzzle,
I'm just curious about the saboted bullet that you're using. Sounds like it's failing. Please take a look at my new bullet at www.mzldrproducts.com
Let me know if you would like to try them, I guarantee that you won't be disappointed.
wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bullet was a "Harvester".

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is one of the older Harvester LBT series, they are extremely hard-cast, and do not expand at all. Just make a nice hole with that wide flat nose, thru and thru, and leave a good blood trail. I can imagine the elk was soon-to-be dead, and didn't know it yet. I have never had an elk or moose walk away from the spot with a 300-480 grain quality bullet.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first shot was quartering away and hit on the right side, through the lung and exited behind the left shoulder, second shot was high on the back and clipped the backbone which broke her down in the back, the last shot was under the left eye and exited by the right ear. She was still moving so son used a knife to the throat.
This is the first time we've ever had one that was still moving after even one shot. With the other 7 elk none lasted more than 20-30 seconds.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
First of all congratulastions. A trophy to be savored during many GREAT meals.

It is like someone I know says, "Round ball kill all out or proportion to their paper ballistics."

He has been shooting round balls since the 60s.

As I was getting ready to hunt elk in Colorado a few years ago I talked to one of his coworker that used 50 cal round ball. He said the elk took the ball, stood there a few seconds lowered its head to get some grass and settled straight down to the ground DEAD.

You hunting with 50 or 54?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 50 although I've taken 2 deer with a 54. I really wish the TC was a 54 but can't change my son's mind on the need for the change and with all the elk that it has taken.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
The last cow elk I shot had two 300gr. bullets. First one was a SST and the second was the 295gr. copper aerotip Powerbelt. Both had gone though the lungs and one clipped part of the liver. Both were complete pass throughs. She saw me and would not quit. I tracked her for 1/4 mile and she was going on and off the trail to try to shake me. I finally shot her in the brain with my last Powerbelt. She dropped to the ground but kicked violently for almost 10 minutes. When they build up adrenaline they are hard to stop. If they do not see you they will likely just walk off until they die.

Posts: 207 | Location: Mesa, Arizona | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Tell your son congrats!

Good to hear some more info on roundball hunting elk as well Big Grin What kind of performance/distances were you using the roundballs with? Complete penetration? any recovered?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll tell him.
So far the longest distance we have had to shoot one was about 120 yards. That was a round ball and it passed through where the neck meets the shoulder.
So far every shot that we've taken has gone all the way through the animal. One was a straight on shot from the front that hit low just above the sternum and went through and exited on the inside of it's left back leg. It dropped on the spot and I thought that was weird as I still can't figure out how that could have brought it down so easily.
Oh by the way, lived for several years in Midland off of county road 118 (I think it was 118). Still have a sister that lives there.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzle:
Sunday my son got his elk. This makes 8 elk in 9 years between the two of us (all cows).You have to be drawn here in AZ. All shot with the same TC Hawken. All were one shot kills except for the one Sunday and it was the only one where we used a sabot instead of a round ball. Took 3 shots with the sabots to put her down so we're going back to round balls.

Congrats on your ELK hunt.
What type of powder and how many grains did you use with the round balls?

I have taken several deer with my 54 Knight MK85 using 80grains Pyro RS and a patched round ball they all dropped and did not get up. Some were double lung other were head & neck shots.

One day I hope to have a chance to hunt ELK it will probably have to wait untill I retire to have the time to do it properly.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzle:
Thanks, I'll tell him.
So far the longest distance we have had to shoot one was about 120 yards. That was a round ball and it passed through where the neck meets the shoulder.
So far every shot that we've taken has gone all the way through the animal. One was a straight on shot from the front that hit low just above the sternum and went through and exited on the inside of it's left back leg. It dropped on the spot and I thought that was weird as I still can't figure out how that could have brought it down so easily.
Oh by the way, lived for several years in Midland off of county road 118 (I think it was 118). Still have a sister that lives there.

Very interesting! I am kind of surprised about you having lived out this way! I have plans to eventually move back to Arizona. I think I still have some ocean front property up there hillbilly

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede, we have used in the past is a .490 round ball with spit patched pillow ticking and 90 grains of 2F Goex.