New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is going to fight? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted
Many predict China will invade Taiwan. Once that occurs, government will reinstate the draft. My concern is who are they going to get? Our youth today does not seem to be that patriotic. Many of our new citizens will simply go back over the Southern border. Can we pull together to win another World War?

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are not going to put boots on the ground in Taiwan is my bet. Hence the push to build semiconductors Stateside.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not worried about it.

The army knows how to turn recruits/draftees into soldiers.

If push comes to shove, they will do what they have to, and let the legal system work afterwards like Lincoln and Roosevelt’s suspensions of civil liberties in wartimes before.

Who knows, they may become the greatest generation part II?

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Gen X,Y or Z become the next greatest generation?? Really?? Only if they can take their Gameboy or PlayStation with them……rotflmo animal cuckoo

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13147 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Gen X,Y or Z become the next greatest generation?? Really?? Only if they can take their Gameboy or PlayStation with them……rotflmo animal cuckoo

Get into a war, put them all in uniform and under discipline and you might be surprised.

Absent that, not a chance.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
actually the politics of the Z's appear to show-
patriotic tendencies in the males higher than the X' & the M's

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Imagine if it’s just like it used be…college boys get deferments but now they also get student loan forgiveness.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
American men are a cocky, arrogant bunch, I'm not the slightest bit worried about their ability or interest in fighting for their homes and families.

But go fight China for Taiwan? Why? These young folks are Google savy and it'll have to be explained to them in a manner they understand why they should get their limbs blown off on foreign soil for people that ain't from their hometown.

Posts: 9093 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
American men are a cocky, arrogant bunch, I'm not the slightest bit worried about their ability or interest in fighting for their homes and families.

But go fight China for Taiwan? Why? These young folks are Google savy and it'll have to be explained to them in a manner they understand why they should get their limbs blown off on foreign soil for people that ain't from their hometown.

I like to think that American youth have the mindset to answer the call, but I'm not as sure as you.

Most American men don't know one end of a rifle from another. And, based on what I see at the food court in the mall, most of them are going to need to drop 25 or 30 lbs. if they're going to hump a rifle and a 60 lb. ruck more than about a 100 yards.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We should remember Viet Nam and the shit show that turned into. People only fight if they're threatened or feel threatened. It would be one Hell of a sell job to the average citizen. How many Americans would enlist to intervene directly in Ukraine ?

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Take a walk around the food court at any mall. Then tell me about how the Gen Z’s will suck it up, adapt to discipline, and become a fighting force. Most of them have to fight to keep their pants up…. popcorn

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:

I like to think that American youth have the mindset to answer the call, but I'm not as sure as you.

Most American men don't know one end of a rifle from another. And, based on what I see at the food court in the mall, most of them are going to need to drop 25 or 30 lbs. if they're going to hump a rifle and a 60 lb. ruck more than about a 100 yards.

Three points:

1) I live where I do, so you probably have a better idea than i do.

2) I think our professional and amateur sports teams are full of dedicated and motivated young people. These athletes get up early, go to bed early and seriously train. I'm talking NFL, college and high school sports, Little League. I think our universities are full of the same, albeit exercising their minds. That they may or may not be exercising wrong is besides the point, they volunteered for that tough course, degree, program.

3) Give the boys a real reason to fight, give our young Americans a priority to respond to and then let's see. We know better now than to bang the war drum because Iraq invaded Kuwait/ North Vietnam invaded South Vietnam/ the Somali warlords are getting cheeky. Four years after we invaded Afghanistan it should have been obvious we were there to be led to death, not to win and the parent of every single American 18 year old should have said, " hell no you ain't enlisting!".

Sure I may be wrong, but our friend Lheym didn't spend a lot of time over eating in the food court 10 years ago I'm thinking. Big Grin

Posts: 9093 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
There is a huge difference between a volunteer armed forces and a bunch of fat assed draftees…

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
2million 6hundred thousand Little League players in the USA in 2022.

Quite a squad of future Army Rangers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think our youth would fight if faced with a legit threat. But this generation is clued in on the "military/industrial complex". Every conflict since Korea has been manufactured to enrich big industry and politicians. They don't want their name on some memorial for that.

Posts: 3675 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would still boil down to the hicks, the spics and the niggers just like every other military conflict - all the frat boys would hurry up and run for office.

Do you recall the interviews with the delegates to the Young Republicans convention when Dubya was POTUS? They voted overwhelmingly to support the invasion of Iraq, but when asked if they were off to enlist, to a man they had “other priorities“. Fortunate Sons leave the dirty work to others.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smedley Butler told everybody how it works.

Posts: 15878 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed:
It would still boil down to the hicks, the spics and the niggers just like every other military conflict - all the frat boys would hurry up and run for office.

Do you recall the interviews with the delegates to the Young Republicans convention when Dubya was POTUS? They voted overwhelmingly to support the invasion of Iraq, but when asked if they were off to enlist, to a man they had “other priorities“. Fortunate Sons leave the dirty work to others.

I know TR's father paid another to fight in his stead in our Civil War and that's why Teddy thought he should get his hands dirty.

Not broadly applicable. I have heard it said that Britain suffers from a "brain drain" because all its best and brightest were executed in two World Wars. Not just the "Spics".

America has sent to slaughter it's West Point and Naval Academy grads, it's sports stars like Pat Tilman, great American patriots like Bob Dole, John McCain.

It's 2023, we need a reason, we need justification. I know better than to meet the call for, "Over there!" or, "Fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here!". North Vietnam taking the South, Iran taking Iraq or vis versa doesn't change my day in the slightest. What happens in Somalia stays in Somalia.

I hope we've learned from past mistakes, maybe I need to head for the Food Court at the Mall. Big Grin

Like I've said before, if our friends in New Zealand or the Frenchie in the Ukraine is so wound up about it, they shouldn't let the USA slow them down, Get Some!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
Smedley Butler told everybody how it works.

How many Ukranians owe how much money to Delaware banks? Simple question...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote