THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    Larry Vickers pleads guilty to multiple felony firearms charges in Fed Court

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Larry Vickers pleads guilty to multiple felony firearms charges in Fed Court Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Enforce the laws we have, correct?

https://www.justice.gov/usao-m...nd%20other%20weapons.

What is most damning to me is his admission to violate federal sanctions concerning firearms.

It appears all he had to do was demonstrate the firearms as he claimed he would, and most of this would nit be a crime.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s my understanding that Vickers has been seriously ill for some time. My suspicion is that he just wanted this to be done, and plead due to that.

I tend to agree, how hard is it to just demonstrate these weapons to a couple of PD’s, especially given Vicker’s training jobs-

I’m not arguing the facts of the case, he undoubtedly got these weapons under a law enforcement letter, and should have demonstrated them (from a historical perspective if nothing else) and I tend to doubt his intent to violate the law.

However, it’s kind of hard to deny he got the guns with a paper trail, and hard to deny that he didn’t demonstrate them to the signatory departments.

He gives collectors a bit of a black eye by doing what he did.

As I recall, Vickers did have quite an interest in historical small arms. It’s kind of problematic that the government makes so many goofy steps to get these (having to get a FFL, SOT, “LE letter” etc) all due to one silly 1986 amendment.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worse charge to me in violation of sanctions.

They are all pretty rough, serious, charges. I will assume he pled for the reason he swore under oath, being he was guilty.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have access to the case paperwork.

Was this getting something like MP44’s from the Middle East or an ex combloc country?

Or was it giving an arms deal for AK’s from Russia?

The purpose of the sanctions law is to stop significant financial transfers. Buying a few collector rifles is hardly significant money to a nation state. I get it’s a violation of the law, but gee, where is the criminal intent they found for politicians? The guy was a military veteran and special ops hero (bronze star)… fighting this would be a long and costly fight. You’re a prosecutor. How many defendants are convinced to plea due to the weight and severity of charges? Don’t play semantics. He had violated the law by what he did to some extent, his possession of the guns proves that. The rest is debatable. You don’t think he plead to get reduced sentencing?

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Correct! All of them!

Not just the ones used against right leaning forearm owners.

Is Hunter in jail for lying on his federal form?

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Half the right wing gun owners I know smoke dope. Think they all admitted that when they had the opportunity? As for this Vickers, I think it's pretty simple. He knew it was not legal.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am sad for Larry.

But he (and this group) knew the rules as well as anyone.

I pray he gets a probated sentence…I hear he is not well.

And as Dr. Butler states and EVERYONE knows…people regularly plead guilty for reasons other than actually believing they are guilty and LEOs know that and use it as bludgeon against people regularly as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I am sad for Larry.

And as Dr. Butler states and EVERYONE knows…people regularly plead guilty for reasons other than actually believing they are guilty and LEOs know that and use it as bludgeon against people regularly as well.

The feds don't typically indict unless they have a virtually iron-clad case guaranteeing a conviction. Take a look at the conviction rates if you doubt it.

Vickers is most likely going to prison even if he is ill. Sentencing range is 5-20. I bet he's looking at 7-9 year rec from the US ADA.

The DOJ doesn't fuck around when it comes to automatic weapons. Bad judgment.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15120 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I am sad for Larry.

The feds don't typically indict unless they have a virtually iron-clad case guaranteeing a conviction. Take a look at the conviction rates if you doubt it.

Vickers is most likely going to prison even if he is ill. Sentencing range is 5-20. I bet he's looking at 7-9 year rec from the US ADA.

The DOJ doesn't fuck around when it comes to automatic weapons. Bad judgment.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15120 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have very little sympathy for Larry Vickers. He made his bed.

My sympathy is only for the man he was.

One of the Chief Law Enforcement Officers who signed the letters stating Vickers would demonstrate too was an agency of one officer. That officer being the officer who signed the letter.

It was a scam. He got caught. He at least had enough integrity to own up to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Correct! All of them!

Not just the ones used against right leaning forearm owners.

Is Hunter in jail for lying on his federal form?

Vickers is not yet either. Hunter is being prosecuted. Your example is weak.