Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only In America! TIPS For Self Service?? Login/Join 
Administrator
posted

Posts: 67046 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing about tips, Saeed, is that they are optional. Don't give them a penny. Hell, don't even go there. The farce will continue ONLY if people are stupid enough to actually give.

Posts: 15883 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend left a 15% tip at a restaurant in New York.

His server complained!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67046 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to four direct service or material providers in the last month that want to charge 3.5% more if you use a credit card...
Soenthing new every day.

Likely will start a trend.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
The thing about tips, Saeed, is that they are optional. Don't give them a penny. Hell, don't even go there. The farce will continue ONLY if people are stupid enough to actually give.

The trouble is it's not a discretionary reward for good service any more, it's an expectation.
Restaurant wait staff, taxi drivers, bar staff ... bloody everyone in the US seems to expect it. And its spreading here too now...

Posts: 7188 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most restaurant staff depend on tips for their living. It's the way compensation systems are set up at those establishments.

If you don't want to tip, don't. If the restaurant you've chosen adds the tip to the bill and you've got a problem with that, don't eat at that restaurant. If a self-service establishment adds a tip to the bill and that pisses you off, don't go there.

Seems pretty simple. Or, I guess you can bitch about how the United States created the tip system....even though we didn't. Roll Eyes

https://www.7shifts.com/blog/h...ellent%20performance.

I mean, we certainly know the UAE or whatever it's predecessor was in that area of the world didn't create it. Nobody leaves a tip for camel meat and dirty desert water.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15134 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
Most restaurant staff depend on tips for their living. It's the way compensation systems are set up at those establishments.

If you don't want to tip, don't. If the restaurant you've chosen adds the tip to the bill and you've got a problem with that, don't eat at that restaurant. If a self-service establishment adds a tip to the bill and that pisses you off, don't go there.

Seems pretty simple. Or, I guess you can bitch about how the United States created the tip system....even though we didn't. Roll Eyes

I mean, we certainly know the UAE or whatever it's predecessor was in that area of the world didn't create it. Nobody leaves a tip for camel meat and dirty desert water.

Why.

Why not pay a decent wage?

Stupid communism in action! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, often times, you prepay for your meal. Of course, there is often times a “tip” request as well. Quite amazing that one would expect a tip based on potential good service.

It’s out of hand and like it was mentioned, if you don’t like it, do not patronize the restaurant. I’ll certainly take that advice.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just saw a report that Apple stores are requesting tips when you buy a laptop!

What a fucked up society! clap

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
There is a Ramen restaurant nearby that has great food. It’s run by people from Asia, complete with signs and menu in Jinglish. There is now a sign that says you can order at the electronic kiosk. That means you are required to order at the electronic kiosk. Ok. I still eat there, but I never give a tip. If they can’t even take my order face to face, they don’t get a tip. Refills on beverages are self-serve and the only thing the staff does for guests is clean up the table when we’re done eating. That’s a bus-boy’s job. They get paid hourly.

Also: Fuck self checkout lines. I’m not a cashier. I’m not ringing up my own items. Give me 10% off and we can talk about it.

Posts: 7494 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I generally use a car service when I travel and have a preferred one where I go regularly, as opposed to a cab or rent car. I encountered one recently that after I paid the little electronic device they use now gave me the option of a tip starting at $25% and ranging up to 45%. I like this guy as he's reliable, but needless to say, I opted for a "custom" tip, which was less than his suggested minimum.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do tip more generously if my plane was late, or if the arrival was particularly late.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Why.

Exact opposite of communism actually. Employers in the restaurant and lots of service industry don't pay a wage that their employees can live on. Tips are necessary to survive. The government refuses to put a minimum wage rate in place that is at a level that allows people to live off minimum wage. Or, they put in a minimum wage that requires a full-time employee and they don't give the employee the requisite number of hours to qualify for the wage. Or, they require that the business have sales volume of $500,000.00 or more.

The restaurant business is crazy risky too. Most fail. I guess they cut corners on costs/expenses where they can and unfortunately, it's the servers that bear the brunt.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15134 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tip is optional.

Then they brought up service charges.

I have been to places where service was not up to scratch!

And I refused to pay the service charges!

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Why.

Exact opposite of communism actually. Employers in the restaurant and lots of service industry don't pay a wage that their employees can live on. Tips are necessary to survive. The government refuses to put a minimum wage rate in place that is at a level that allows people to live off minimum wage. Or, they put in a minimum wage that requires a full-time employee and they don't give the employee the requisite number of hours to qualify for the wage. Or, they require that the business have sales volume of $500,000.00 or more.

The restaurant business is crazy risky too. Most fail. I guess they cut corners on costs/expenses where they can and unfortunately, it's the servers that bear the brunt.

...but its not just that. Everyone and his dog expects a tip, even for the most peripheral of anything to do with service. The guy in the bar who pours your drink, the (owner operator) taxi driver, the guy who cuts your hair, the girl that makes your ice cream on the boardwalk...

Posts: 7188 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote