Tools

HAHAHAHA! Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
Soros on one end, and….

Corruption is LEGAL in America!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66999 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And so is a free press.

Unlike in your country.

Posts: 6133 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
And so is a free press.

Unlike in your country.

You don’t have free press.

Every media has an agenda, paid for by someone.

Just like your political system!

Posts: 66999 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's true that most media have agenda. It costs a lot to run a media press or station, so only billionaires and large corporations own them. Not all of these individuals and companies take the same view of current affairs.

That's a free press for you!

How does your press work?

Posts: 6133 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ask Assange!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Ask Assange!

Or Khashoggi....oh wait, a bit late for that Wink

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
And so is a free press.

Unlike in your country.

My definition of a free press is that a publisher, an individual or a broadcaster can air material critical of the government/ king/ ruler/whatever without being arrested, raided, detained or sanctioned.

By this metric the UAE has not got a free press.

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
quote:
quote:
And so is a free press.

Unlike in your country.

My definition of a free press is that a publisher, an individual or a broadcaster can air material critical of the government/ king/ ruler/whatever without being arrested, raided, detained or sanctioned.

So by your own definition, “free press” means not telling the truth, but criticizing someone you don’t like!

I LOVE it!

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
And so is a free press.

Unlike in your country.

So by your own definition, “free press” means not telling the truth, but criticizing someone you don’t like!

I LOVE it!

Not at all, it means having the freedom to do so without fear of persecution.

I can take out a full page add in the Times saying that Blair was lying when he took us to war in Iraq. I can do so without fear of the police kicking my door in at 3am and my ending up in a cell being beaten up or worse.

If I put a similar add in the Dubai times I think the result would be different.

Blair has the right to sue me if I am dishonest, but that is a civil matter between he and I.

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
And so is a free press.

Unlike in your country.

I LOVE it!

Not at all, it means having the freedom to do so without fear of persecution.

I can take out a full page add in the Times saying that Blair was lying when he took us to war in Iraq. I can do so without fear of the police kicking my door in at 3am and my ending up in a cell being beaten up or worse.

If I put a similar add in the Dubai times I think the result would be different.

Blair has the right to sue me if I am dishonest, but that is a civil matter between he and I.

What would that achieve?

He has committed his crimes, and running all the way to the bank lining his pockets!

Is that what you call freedom?

Criminals start wars and get rewarded?

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
We are discussing a free press, not Tony Blair.

Boris the oaf lies about what he was doing in lockdown and the press quite rightly publish it = Boris resigns as PM and MP, no longer in parliament. That’s how a free press works.

Middle Eastern public figure does something he shouldn’t but it never gets published as the journalist / publisher would end up in a cell with electrodes attached to his nuts. Btw I’m not specifically referring to the UAE here, your neighbours are the experts. Ask Kashoogi.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are discussing a free press, not Tony Blair.

Boris the oaf lies about what he was doing in lockdown and the press quite rightly publish it = Boris resigns as PM and MP, no longer in parliament. That’s how a free press works.

Middle Eastern public figure does something he shouldn’t but it never gets published as the journalist / publisher would end up in a cell with electrodes attached to his nuts. Btw I’m not specifically referring to the UAE here, your neighbours are the experts. Ask Kashoogi.

Remember the UAE has one of the worst records on human rights of just about any other "free" country.

Posts: 506 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote