Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 horses put down at Churchill Downs Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
In Louisville for Derby week. Races run starting Wednesday.

6 horses have now ran races, injured, and had to be euthanized.

Forte, the odd leader, has been scratched.

The track has a new dirt surface.

Something terrible is happening.

Posts: 10947 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correction
2 horses just died after running their races.
3 have been euthanized from injuries.

Posts: 10947 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am not directly linked to the racing industry…thus I not claiming 100% accuracy here.

To the best on my knowledge 4 horses (not 6) have died at Churchill this week. Two of the deaths were from euthanasia due to irreparable catastrophic musculoskeletal injuries.

The other 2 deaths are a bit of a mystery and under the same trainer who is suspended pending the investigation. The scratched horse is also under this trainer and I believed only scratched due to it’s trainer being suspended.

Necropsies and a thorough investigation is under way on the mysterious deaths. They will figure out causes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36644 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am at the track. It is 5. 3 have been euthanized. 2 died from running.

Two years ago we had a horse die.

The trend desires more concern.

3 have been euthanized as a direct result of racing that we know. I am including the one that broke its neck in the saddling paddock.

The odds favorite had to be scratched due to a hoof injury.

Here is National Press reporting 5

https://www.sportingnews.com/u...fdcakmjkn3qlo30n0qga

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am at a TCU baseball game. I had not heard about the saddling paddock incident.

I am sure both Dr. Larry Bramlage and Dr. Al Ruggles are present — 2 of the world’s leading experts on surgical repair of catastrophic thoroughbred injuries. Both good people and good friends.

I am sure the right calls and the best of care is being provided.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36644 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 horses total have been pulled from the Main Event.

I know one of those 5 scratched due to fever, Forte was the hoof, and I have not heard why to the other 3.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One horse set to run The Derby was scratched bc his trainer, trained the two horses that died earlier this week. Churchill has banned that trainer and his horses.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
MONEY!

MONEY!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67016 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
A summary of the horse health events today at Churchill Downs to assist with any local media requests or questions you may receive from your clients. The following information has been reported in the media and is primarily intended to provide a convenient reference for you:

Derby favorite Forte was diagnosed with a right front foot bruise and was scratched from the race by Kentucky Horse Racing Commission veterinarians.

In the second race, Chloe's Dream sustained a severe injury to the right carpus and was euthanized following evaluation at the Churchill Downs Equine Medical Center.

Freezing Point fractured both sesamoids of the left front fetlock while competing in the 8th race. Following evaluation at the Churchill Downs Equine Medical Center, Freezing Point was euthanized.

Here Mi Song appeared lame in the left front while jogging back following the 9th race and was transported by equine ambulance to the Churchill Downs Equine Medical Center for evaluation. Radiographs were negative; the horse cooled out and walked back to the barn.

With seven total equine fatalities related to training or racing at Churchill Downs since April 27, this is truly a challenging series of events for horse racing.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
A summary of the horse health events today at Churchill Downs to assist with any local media requests or questions you may receive from your clients. The following information has been reported in the media and is primarily intended to provide a convenient reference for you:

Derby favorite Forte was diagnosed with a right front foot bruise and was scratched from the race by Kentucky Horse Racing Commission veterinarians.

In the second race, Chloe's Dream sustained a severe injury to the right carpus and was euthanized following evaluation at the Churchill Downs Equine Medical Center.

Freezing Point fractured both sesamoids of the left front fetlock while competing in the 8th race. Following evaluation at the Churchill Downs Equine Medical Center, Freezing Point was euthanized.

Here Mi Song appeared lame in the left front while jogging back following the 9th race and was transported by equine ambulance to the Churchill Downs Equine Medical Center for evaluation. Radiographs were negative; the horse cooled out and walked back to the barn.

With seven total equine fatalities related to training or racing at Churchill Downs since April 27, this is truly a challenging series of events for horse racing.

This is bizarre to me.

So, what is suddenly causing all these horses scheduled to run the derby to die? Is it the track conditions causing these injuries?

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15127 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know they have changed the dirt surface.

A dirty piece of business on horse racing is horses are drugged to run through pain which results in severe injury that requires euthanasia. That has happened in the past. It is suspected what happened to the KY Derby winner that had to be put down a few years ago. That Trainer is the winningest trainer in Derby History. That trainer’s ban is only 2 years long and expires this year.

That trainer actually had a horse in this Derby he was banned from. He trained a horse, and transferred it to another trainer to enter the horse.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

A dirty piece of business on horse racing is horses are drugged to run through pain which results in severe injury that requires euthanasia. That has happened in the past. It is suspected what happened to the KY Derby winner that had to be put down a few years ago. That Trainer is the winningest trainer in Derby History. That trainer’s ban is only 2 years long and expires this year.

That trainer actually had a horse in this Derby he was banned from. He trained a horse, and transferred it to another trainer to enter the horse.

The above is a significant misstatement in today’s racing industry. There are strict medication governance rules in place today and security and testing are very rigid and very difficult to get around. If you medicate…you will get caught. In Baffert’s case Medina’s Spirit had a trace of betamethasone (synthetic cortisone) on race day. Not enough to mask pain to any degree. It is a commonly used medication and every once in a while horses will hang on to non-therapeutic traces well past recommended withdrawal periods.

You would find many many human professional athletes getting injected with it (a recognized joint therapy) routinely around competitions.

The 2 cases of the sudden deaths after races will be thoroughly investigated and cause attributed. If it was nefarious…that will come out and discipline will be handed out.

The 2 breakdown injuries that occurred can be influenced by the surface. Extensive research has gone into finding the safest surface.

But 2 in a week period of racing, while sad…is not out of the norm.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And like getting rid of horse abattoirs, getting rid of horse racing is likely to cause a significant increase in the problems for horses.

I don’t have much of a position regarding horse racing… because LHeym mentioned the derby here it was the first time I’ve watched it in maybe 20 years…

It can be a fun spectacle to watch, but is no different than any other form of racing- AFAIC.

Posts: 10656 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
And like getting rid of horse abattoirs, getting rid of horse racing is likely to cause a significant increase in the problems for horses.

clap

Leave it to Dr. Butler to almost always come to the correct conclusion. He is 100% spot on correct here.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

clap

Leave it to Dr. Butler to almost always come to the correct conclusion. He is 100% spot on correct here.

So, a significant number of horses have to die while racing or getting ready to race for our pleasure in order to save the rest of the horses?

What the fuck?

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15127 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:
quote:

clap

So, a significant number of horses have to die while racing or getting ready to race for our pleasure in order to save the rest of the horses?

What the fuck?

There really is no mandatory need for horses today. They only exist because we want them. Take away there purpose and they don’t exist.

It is usually the female lawyer who has an expensive horse in training somewhere who when the horse becomes too worn out for them to show usually asks me if they can euthanize it and collect mortality insurance on it to buy a new new one.

Horses break their legs playing at pasture not uncommonly. Race track fractures just tend to be highly explosive in nature due to speed, the kinetic energy put into them, and huge momentum.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The above is a significant misstatement in today’s racing industry. There are strict medication governance rules in place today and security and testing are very rigid and very difficult to get around. If you medicate…you will get caught. In Baffert’s case Medina’s Spirit had a trace of betamethasone (synthetic cortisone) on race day. Not enough to mask pain to any degree. It is a commonly used medication and every once in a while horses will hang on to non-therapeutic traces well past recommended withdrawal periods.

You would find many many human professional athletes getting injected with it (a recognized joint therapy) routinely around competitions.

The 2 cases of the sudden deaths after races will be thoroughly investigated and cause attributed. If it was nefarious…that will come out and discipline will be handed out.

The 2 breakdown injuries that occurred can be influenced by the surface. Extensive research has gone into finding the safest surface.

It is not a mistake r when the KY Derby winner is euthanized because his trainer, the most successful Derby Trainer, dopes him.

Bob Baffert should be permanently banned from all tracks, and no horse associated with him allowed to be entered.

https://www.si.com/horse-racin...y-horses-daily-cover

I like horse racing, but it has been and continues to dirty business practices dirty at the highest levels.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is not a mistake r when the KY Derby winner is euthanized because his trainer, the most successful Derby Trainer, dopes him.

I have no idea what you are referring to here. If you are speaking about Medina Spirit…this horse died months after the Derby of natural causes — heart failure. Further, betamethasone is a commonly used anti-inflammatory medication in humans and horses and has no direct effects on the heart.

Bob Baffert should be permanently banned from all tracks, and no horse associated with him allowed to be entered.

Wow! No one is perfect and Bob Baffert has done NOTHING horribly wrong.

Horse racing is an expensive game for owners. Thoroughbred race horses who compete at the highest levels are finely tuned machines. They like human athletes require cutting edge healthcare. Veterinarians and trainer walk a thin line daily ensuring the health of the horse but also making deadlines for competitions. Huge amount of money is expended and at stake. Medications like betamethasone are normal medications. Trainer HAVE to push the envelope to get those horses back based on known general withdrawals. Sometimes individuals hang on to traces. Nothing more than this occurred with Medina Spirit.

I like horse racing, but it has been and continues to dirty business practices dirty at the highest levels.

That^^^is such an over the top statement.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is undisputed that horse tan tge KY Derby doped.

You know what I am talking about. You just do not want to put your toes to the line.

Bob Baffert is the most successful Trainer in Derby history. He won Seven Derbies. He was doping horses.

Like baseball, he is not the only one. He is just one of the few who got caught.

I really do not know what your angle is, but when you refuse to admit horse racing has a drug problem, a trainer problem; you loose credibility.

Again, when the most successful horse trainer is caught doping the KY Derby winner, that horse dies under his care (drugs were an issue), and that trainer is banned, hordes racing still has a problem.

I guess you believe Bonds was clean too.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is undisputed that horse tan tge KY Derby doped.

You know what I am talking about. You just do not want to put your toes to the line.

Bob Baffert is the most successful Trainer in Derby history. He won Seven Derbies. He was doping horses.

Like baseball, he is not the only one. He is just one of the few who got caught.

The violations Baffert has had have all been from small residues of legitimate therapeutics. No illicit drugs are on his violation list. It is hard to keep horses healthy and also meet deadlines. And there are no hard and fast guidelines that hold true for ALL individuals. Baffert trains 100’s of horses.

I really do not know what your angle is, but when you refuse to admit horse racing has a drug problem, a trainer problem; you loose credibility.

You have lost total credibility as you keep stating untruths or partial truths.

Again, when the most successful horse trainer is caught doping the KY Derby winner,

The horse had a very small residue of an anti-inflammatory in his system at the time he raced. The amount precludes athletic enhancement. It is a drug that probably 100% of athletic horses receive and some point and has legitimate therapeutic use. In fact it is a main stay drug to keep joints healthy in athletes who constantly sustain trauma from the nature of sports.

that horse dies under his care (drugs were an issue), and that trainer is banned, hordes racing still has a problem.

The horse did die months later — a fact. (The horse died from heart failure.) But the rest of your statement is TOTALLY unsubstantiated. Quit lying about Baffert and I will stop refuting.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those drugs do not affect heart?

You know they do.

The horse was doped by the most successful trainer. You cannot get around that.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those drugs do not affect heart?

You know they do.

The horse was doped by the most successful trainer. You cannot get around that.

Wow. 2020

Betamethasone is administered intra-synovially or topically and has no known cardiovascular effects. I personally have injected 10’s of thousands of joints in equine athletes — NEVER a related cardiovascular event.

Every successful racehorse alive gets a joint injection at some point in its life — most likely with betamethasone.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IV steroids can have cardiovascular effects in people.

However, they are pretty well tolerated.

Can there be an erroneous injection into a blood vessel? Sure. But then it tends to not help the joint you were injecting.

For Pete’s sake, this is Dr. E’s bread and butter…. My comments are fully from my knowledge of pharmacodynamics, not any special understanding about horses.

Do I think there is a motive to dope if you can get away with in in horse racing? Yes.

I think the various state regulatory agencies do a decent job trying to hold it down. Yes, strange things happen in drug testing.

If the trainer tried to get around the ban, that should be grounds to permanently ban him even if he really was the victim of a wonky drug clearance violation.

I kind of doubt anyone wants his multimillion dollar horse to die.

Now, insurance fraud and doping I am sure go on. That’s for regulators and lawyers to deal with.

I also wouldn’t be surprised that a change in track surface cause an issue… but who is it advocating that “change is good” here?

Posts: 10656 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We do not know what all this horse was on do we.

Yes, I am speculating.

I am fine a that seeing the trainer was banned.

I will go ahead and state my Angle;

Feds should pass a law allowing the Department of Ag to regulate the industry including creating a schedule of banned drugs, testing policies prior to running races, and one strike lifetime bans with total removal from the industry.

Oh look, race horses given anti bleeding meds to run on.

https://www.courier-journal.co...how-used/3495967002/

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
We do not know what all this horse was on do we.

It had a necropsy and toxicology study? What more could you ask?

Yes, I am speculating.

I am fine a that seeing the trainer was banned.

I am not. He was among the better practice group of trainers. And, I don't believe he has a lifetime ban...just a suspension period. Which I agree is appropriate. I welcome him back. He advanced life quality for race horses as a whole from learning from science.

I will go ahead and state my Angle;

Feds should pass a law allowing the Department of Ag to regulate the industry including creating a schedule of banned drugs, testing policies prior to running races, Already being done. and one strike lifetime bans with total removal from the industry. This is why you should be in charge of NOTHING. It is obvious from this thread that you have little understanding of the topic. It is difficult for trainers/veterinarians to keep these horses healthy and meet their needed goals. Minor mistakes happen and YES...a betamethasone overage is a MINOR mistake.

Oh look, race horses given anti bleeding meds to run on.

Is it not a veterinarian's charge to help horses with medical conditions? Furosemide is a fairly benign drug in horses. It is recognized efficacious medication for exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage. Horses will suffer/die without it. The vast majority of experts don't believe it has athletic enhancing properties. Horses that have the condition (a significant percentage) will get euthanized because they have no value -- fact.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those feud are being given as performance enhancers to the determent of the horse.

You know it.
Churchill Downs knows it.
We all know it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9673965/

Despite your position horse racing does not have a problem. You cannot get around the fact the trainer, who is most successful, got busted doping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is why you should be in charge of NOTHING. It is obvious from this thread that you have little understanding of the topic.

Well said Doc!

He will make a great politician one day ( we know that's where he's headed ) he can pontificate extremely about things he has zero knowledge of..... He'll make a great democrat!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He got in trouble because the horse had a drug that can be used for doping in its system.

The human ADA for sports have a lot of similar rules. Many drugs have legitimate uses, but it’s the intent of use that is the problem.

I assume you golf. Look at the banned substances in golf. Do you think you should not be allowed to play if you have a medical condition that demands the use?

Horse racing is highly regulated not because it can hurt the horse. It’s highly regulated because of the money being bet on the activity.

I don’t think there is more of a problem in horse racing than any other sport. Further, it looks like we are going down the road of increasing gambling rather than restricting/banning it.

I don’t think Lane went into veterinary medicine just to enable someone to make money off horses. Most vets actually care about animals and treating them right.

I’m sure the veterinary organizations and the racing commissions in various states would be all ears if you could suggest a good workable way of dealing with it.

But there are places that ban horse racing/gambling. Therefore, it’s not appropriate to have a federal law relating to it. It’s rightly a state matter. If there is too much chicanery, the sport will lose betting legitimacy, and it will wither away and die.

Can you give me a good argument as to why this is a federal issue (animal welfare)?

quote:
Those feud are being given as performance enhancers to the determent of the horse.

You know it.
We all know it.

Despite your position horse racing does not have a problem. You cannot get around the fact the trainer, who is most successful, got busted doping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t think Lane went into veterinary medicine just to enable someone to make money off horses. Most vets actually care about animals and treating them right.

Our vet is so obviously fond of his patients it's almost comical to see him with the pests. Another thing he loves, judging from the bills, is money......

Posts: 15882 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
This is why you should be in charge of NOTHING. It is obvious from this thread that you have little understanding of the topic.

Well said Doc!

He will make a great politician one day ( we know that's where he's headed ) he can pontificate extremely about things he has zero knowledge of..... He'll make a great democrat!

Just an easy and recent example of his youthful ignorance I was thinking.

Posts: 9125 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know it.

As I told Steve…quit saying this. It is a lie on your part. Quit lying! If I knew it I would say. I don’t know or believe that to be true.

We all know it. If you think you know that…it just reveals you are a blithering idiot. Because it is simply not completely understood by anyone and the drug is efficacious.

He got in trouble by pushing the limit on withdrawal time on a good medication used for a legit medical issue and that is it. It was not intentional and at the concentration in the horse had zero effects on performance.

Funny you pick that article. It was used on my board exam in 1998…25 years ago. The mechanism of action of how furosemide reduces EIPH is still poorly understood and likely multifactorial. But, it is efficacious and does, 75% of the time, prevent EIPH and nearly 100% of the time reduce it. It has stood the the test of time as now 25 years later…it is just as widely used. Today, with drug testing as it is now done, labs have zero problems of picking up other drugs as it used to be thought of as a masking agent.

The bottom line is that furosemide is used to treat a legitimate health issue in racehorses. Taking it away is NOT in the best interest of horses.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:

Well said Doc!

Just an easy and recent example of his youthful ignorance I was thinking.

Yeah....he is a prime example of " ignorance is bliss"..... Youth is wasted on the young...

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny that you claim doping is not a problem when Baffert got busted for doping.

Too bad he is getting by the current rules, and will be back next year.

As you say funny we have had 7 deaths at Churchill after asserting “ only” four.

The sport is not clean.

The fact you will not admit it is not clean is evidence enough of who you are.

Go vote for another insurrectionist.

Tell me again, how is the sport clean when the most successful trainer is setting under a ban because he drugged a horse to the Derby? A horse who died under his care.

It is not a lie. The only lier between you and me is you.

Your self declared greatest president proves that.

You know and Churchill knows these drugs need to be banned. That is why Churchill agrees.

I have lost all respect for you. He drugged the horse. Every major track and state commission has said so.

He should be banned for life.

Anything that does not conform to your preconceived agenda you call out of context and half truths.

The truth is you are an ideological hack.

As I said long ago. You are not welcome to drink w me or my table.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are all you cowboys another on the problem of drugs in horse racing.

But, but, the trainer that got banned did not really dope a horse.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news...-rocked-horse-racing

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny that you claim doping is not a problem when Baffert got busted for doping.

Too bad he is getting by the current rules, and will be back next year.

As you say funny we have had 7 deaths at Churchill after asserting “ only” four.

The sport is not clean.

The fact you will not admit it is not clean is evidence enough of who you are.

Go vote for another insurrectionist.

Tell me again, how is the sport clean when the most successful trainer is setting under a ban because he drugged a horse to the Derby? A horse who died under his care.

It is not a lie. The only lier between you and me is you.

Your self declared greatest president proves that.

You know and Churchill knows these drugs need to be banned. That is why Churchill agrees.

I have lost all respect for you. He drugged the horse. Every major track and state commission has said so.

He should be banned for life.

Anything that does not conform to your preconceived agenda you call out of context and half truths.

The truth is you are an ideological hack.

As I said long ago. You are not welcome to drink w me or my table.

This thread is proof that you cannot understand things outside of reading written law. You throw around a term like “doping” as if illicit non-therapeutic medicines were used by Baffert when the “truth” is that these were small residues left from legitimate medical treatments where these individual horses took slightly longer to metabolize than the majority on a bell curve. Or, I will give you that he may have been guilty of fudging a day or two too early — his bad and he paid.

Science tells us from the amounts found a probable administration date timeline and dose. With two variables it can only give ranges but we have reasonable theory. Baffert did not medicate immediately pre-race. He is an intelligent guy. He knows he would be caught and the serumal concentrations would hang him.

Again, Baffert got caught with “small” residues of legitimate therapeutics commonly used in almost all equine athletes. It was NOT a dangerous drug and did not change the outcome of that race. It could happen to ANYONE who trains a lot of good horses whose job is to win races. He may be guilty of pushing envelope on time too close…obviously he did for those individuals. This does not make him a bad guy and he does not deserve some ignorant unteachable overzealous prosecutor like yourself taking away his livelihood. Yes he made a slight mistake. Yes the rule was violated. Yes he should have been reprimanded. He was reprimanded so let the man move on. He is a good horseman.

As to whether horse racing has a problem…NO industry in life is perfect. I don’t claim racing is perfect. It NEVER will be. But in the 21st century the Racing Industry has worked hard to make itself reputable and today the standards are high. Can improvements still be made? Sure! But don’t act like it is sinister and dark because that is simply untrue.

J. Lane Easter, DVM