Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educated idiots Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Last wed I made the trip down to the statehouse.
There were a couple experts to speak on water quality and algae growth in lakes. It had been advertised for a month, so I put together some photos and went to it.
After 40 min of listening to global warming this and fossil fuel that, they asked for questions.
I asked why this summer was cooler than average here in the far northeast, algae growth was worse?
The two kids went on a long winded speal. I said I had photos they should see.
It was streams and river photos of the same areas through town, from the 50's-60's and the present.
The early photos showed narrow, deep water with trees and growth on the banks. The recent photos showed wide stretches of shallow water. Banks far out from flat gravel, where trees fell during floods that washed out the roots. Water only inches deep, with algae growing in pools on the edges of the river.
I gave them the numbers of culverts, from the 50's and the present, with all the driveways and roads added, that funneled water into the streams and rivers.
Everyone passed the photos around, with oooooh, oh my, and so on. The experts just sat with their face sagging.
There was a state engineer there. He said he was ashamed to admit, he only looked at how to stabilize a bank near roads. He never thought of what should be done to fix things. And he saw the same thing all over the state.
The experts said they were never taught things like looking for other solutions ( Cornell grads) and that altering streams was against the law.
I told them the rules were amended all the time by the state to put in bridges and roads. The legislators present nodded their heads in agreement.
I said if they dredged the sections of water that were so shallow, they could use all the gravel that were laid open from the washouts to secure the banks. Riparian growth would come and stabilize the banks and keep the water cool, like it used to be.
Lots of chatter among the 100+ people who were there.
I left them the copies of the photos, and the road data, and headed home.
Even the liberals and city dwellers were questioning why the state let things get so bad without repairs.
Odds are they will twist it to being a fossil fuel issue instead of man made, non-fossil fuel issue.
Hard to get educated idiots to see what is out there, they can only parrot what "experts" tell them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This summer saw temperatures in Canada get to 120 degrees. It was 90 here this week in October.

You are not seriously going to argue this summer was not above average hot across Europe, Africa, and N. America?

121 in Canada see below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...-heat-experts-react/

Now, your observations, suggestions to the Algae in your area/state may well be the solution. I do not know. I would be willing to vote for it and find out.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It will be 100 degrees here today...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
The man just spelled out, after some deep research what the problem was in his specific area AND how to fix it. Well done!! And you respond with typical lefty rhetoric, knowing nothing other than what you can find on the internet. This man has boots on the ground, showing up in person, taking the time to be a true custodian of the land. And you sit behind your keyboard saying the same tired tropes the left wants you to. Get a grip

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not criticize his research, which sounded ok to me.
I fail to see what that has to do with warming weather.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Last wed I made the trip down to the statehouse.
There were a couple experts to speak on water quality and algae growth in lakes. It had been advertised for a month, so I put together some photos and went to it.
After 40 min of listening to global warming this and fossil fuel that, they asked for questions.
I asked why this summer was cooler than average here in the far northeast, algae growth was worse?
The two kids went on a long winded speal. I said I had photos they should see.
It was streams and river photos of the same areas through town, from the 50's-60's and the present.
The early photos showed narrow, deep water with trees and growth on the banks. The recent photos showed wide stretches of shallow water. Banks far out from flat gravel, where trees fell during floods that washed out the roots. Water only inches deep, with algae growing in pools on the edges of the river.
I gave them the numbers of culverts, from the 50's and the present, with all the driveways and roads added, that funneled water into the streams and rivers.
Everyone passed the photos around, with oooooh, oh my, and so on. The experts just sat with their face sagging.
There was a state engineer there. He said he was ashamed to admit, he only looked at how to stabilize a bank near roads. He never thought of what should be done to fix things. And he saw the same thing all over the state.
The experts said they were never taught things like looking for other solutions ( Cornell grads) and that altering streams was against the law.
I told them the rules were amended all the time by the state to put in bridges and roads. The legislators present nodded their heads in agreement.
I said if they dredged the sections of water that were so shallow, they could use all the gravel that were laid open from the washouts to secure the banks. Riparian growth would come and stabilize the banks and keep the water cool, like it used to be.
Lots of chatter among the 100+ people who were there.
I left them the copies of the photos, and the road data, and headed home.
Even the liberals and city dwellers were questioning why the state let things get so bad without repairs.
Odds are they will twist it to being a fossil fuel issue instead of man made, non-fossil fuel issue.
Hard to get educated idiots to see what is out there, they can only parrot what "experts" tell them.

Thank you sir for taking the time to do that. More of that kind of action is needed by the citizenry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I said nothing about the country Heym, only here in my state.
I said this was about lake temps and algae growth. Going from covered deep water to stretches of shallow uncovered water increases temp, regardless of ambient temp.
Some of you need to learn to read. Heym thinks he's the smartest person in the world, but cant put two and two together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgive me, the inference I draw since you applied your rationale to all know only what the experts say was global warming was not real.

Your statements also dismiss global warming entirely; not just your state.

I know I am not smarter than a Cornell PhD on the subject.

Like I said, I do not know if your observations/suggestions are correct. I would vote for a package you put forward to find out.
That not being good enough for you, is your problem to deal with.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You also did not limit your statement to your State. You said the Northeast. Well, no the northeast has not been cooler than normal. It has been hotter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are an overbearing dick that wants everything to be what you think it should be.
The "experts" lay all blame on global warming, not me. I showed them a man made situation, that could be reversed starting tomorrow that would make a big difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Eastern Canada far North East.

Their temps were above normal highs too.

https://phys.org/news/2023-10-...rn-canada-autumn.amp

You are the one who dismissed Global Warming on the North East. You deal w it.

Fox News just told me about heat advisories across the US in fall.

Look, you inferred Global Warming was not effecting the North East. That Global Warming was a non issue. because of how cool it is in the Far North East. That is not accurate if we use North East Temperatures as the measuring stick.

You did not say my state is the coolest. You said the far North East was cooler as rational for Globe Warming bring a non-issue. That is not accurate per above record high autumn temps.

Your state is cooler. I believe you. That does not demonstrate the North East is cooler nor Global Warming is not real.

I will just ask you, do you believe Global Warming is real?

I convinced. I believe we need to address it. I believe we need to balance our response to not destroy our standard of living.

I have no issue with your local proposal to your local problem. I would vote for it. That is the only way to find out, if it solves the problem.

However, I do not apologize for pointing out to you terms in the North East are above normal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dumb fuck, that is Oct, not summer temps.
Look at Gov.weather. Ave or below for upper NY, VT, NH, Maine. We had a hell of a time getting crops started up here, then, with the summer weather, almost everyone is down on feed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the link. It is fall tens that are high in North East Canada.

Also, do you not think summer temps were hotter than normal in the North East? They were.

I will ask again in a different way, do you believe we are experiencing higher them normal temps do to climate change?

Just answer the question.

This is from June stating Canada would experience higher than normal summer temps.

https://globalnews.ca/news/974...forecast-canada/amp/

I have already provided higher than normal autumn temps.

NY is the North East. It was above normal hot too.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I was referring to LeftyHeym, not you Tom.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The man stated the North East was cooler. He knew he was inferring Global Warming was not an issue.

It may not be the issue for his local algae problem.

I do not know. I would be willing to vote for his proposal, and find out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You posted a prediction. Quebec fires hazed the sun for the entire summer, temps were not hotter than the 10 yr norm.
Crops dont lie. We are done, in another couple weeks everyone will be. You can then look at the corn harvest for the NE. Corn needs hot, humid weather. We are down 10%, and we had better than most luck for the area.
So now you know what I was thinking?
I have long said there is climate change, so stop lying and trying to put words in my mouth junior.
My point I made to the people at the meeting, was man made warming of waters/which also impact air, takes in more then just fossil fuels.
Your little hissy fit keeps you from seeing what I said. Your arrogance makes you spit out shit I never said or even thought. All to try to look smart yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if you accept the worst case scenarios, no one has conclusively proven it's reversible or how long it would take. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1596 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
It looks like I need to post this again:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/s...ars/?sh=55f942db4711

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, I dont think there is a full reversal.
Even if we get rid of half the population of the world and only used renewable everything. It will depend on the cyclic nature of the earth to change course also.
I spent years helping to get our impervious surface law passed back in 07. Now parking lots, large rooflines etc has to empty into swales or away from road and or streams.
They finally adopted a hydraulic roads commission, to create better plans for the dirt roads that dominate our state, and silt up the waterways.
My biggest peeve, are the idiots that are only concerned with fossil fuels, and ignore all the other issues we as a population have created. Many that can be fixed with simple amendments or exemptions to our laws.
Generations on the same land means you see the good and the bad that time and change have brought. A classroom can't teach that, especially if it has a one track approach.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like exactly what the EPA was trying to address under the "Waters of the United States" rules that "conservatives" fought hard to get the right-wing majority on the Supreme Court to overturn, which they did.

So expect this stuff to get worse, not better.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Very highly educated people ( of course not all but high percentage) seem to loose common sense and simple outlook on life in general they think they are smarter by education and usually expose themselves to simple idiocy of even simpler solutions

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bivoj:
Very highly educated people ( of course not all but high percentage) seem to loose common sense and simple outlook on life in general they think they are smarter by education and usually expose themselves to simple idiocy of even simpler solutions

Or, stay with me here, they "learn" that the apparent "common sense" shit that got us here was wrong all along, and that just because the crap you release into the air (known to the educated as the atmosphere) goes out of your sight doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, do you mean the EPA that is telling everyone in east Palistine Ohio all is safe, dont worry about a thing? Under Biden no less. Biden is to afraid to even set foot on the soil there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You cannot believe a damn thing any gov't official tells you from any administration. The best thing you can do is take a position 180 degrees from the announced data. Then go back 25% the other direction. That is usually the truth.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:

Or, stay with me here, they "learn" that the apparent "common sense" shit that got us here was wrong all along, and that just because the crap you release into the air (known to the educated as the atmosphere) goes out of your sight doesn't mean it ceases to exist.

I’m staying with you here…

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are an overbearing dick that wants everything to be what you think it should be.
The "experts" lay all blame on global warming, not me. I showed them a man made situation, that could be reversed starting tomorrow that would make a big difference.

Little lord fontleroy.......

What was it that President Reagan said......" Liberals know so much...its just that what they know is mostly wrong" something to that effect?

When (if) the boy actually grows up a bit he will realize how foolish he has been.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes. That explains little lord fontleroy to a capital T!!!

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeff, do you mean the EPA that is telling everyone in east Palistine Ohio all is safe, dont worry about a thing? Under Biden no less. Biden is to afraid to even set foot on the soil there.

Ouch!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole problem is that education has turned into liberal indoctrination. Critical thinking is not taught, it is actually frowned upon.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Simple-minded solutions to complicated problems have a tendency to make more problems.
Sometimes there just aren't any simple solutions that work.
Trump was susceptible to this. No reflection on TB40...

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you have data that indicates it is not? Have you done extensive air, water and soil analysis to reach your contrary conclusion?

Link

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

Simple-minded solutions to complicated problems have a tendency to make more problems.
Sometimes there just aren't any simple solutions that work.
Trump was susceptible to this. No reflection on TB40...

And I agree Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about your own link Jeff
The water is safe ...... but stay out of it anyway.
Biden has promised to go there since it happened.
He can go to a union picketline, but not to see suffering people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about your own link Jeff
The water is safe ...... but stay out of it anyway.
Biden has promised to go there since it happened.
He can go to a union picketline, but not to see suffering people.

So, in your world the EPA telling residents that they should stay out of certain creeks constitutes "telling everyone in east Palistine Ohio all is safe, dont worry about a thing?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How dense are you Jeff?
The epa tells them everything, and everywhere is safe. But, dont go in the creeks just in case.
Either they are or they are not, they dont get it both ways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How dense are you Jeff?
The epa tells them everything, and everywhere is safe. But, dont go in the creeks just in case.
Either they are or they are not, they dont get it both ways.

On the main page devoted to the situation the EPA says to stay out of the creeks and to you that constitutes saying "everything, everywhere is safe", and I'm dense?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They went on and on about it for weeks that all was fine. People showed them what rose to the top when they stirred the creek bottom. They still said all was fine.
Did you not watch any news, at all, when this was forefront on all networks? CBS,NBC and ABC all raised concerns how that could be deemed OK.
I understand your nose up Bidens ass, closes your eyes, but you must have turned off all news not to have seen it, and reports from the EPA.
If everything was as fine as the EPA had claimed, Biden would have visited, and taken a victory stumble.
He will not go near the place, as people are still asking for help, and are worried about their health.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They went on and on about it for weeks that all was fine. People showed them what rose to the top when they stirred the creek bottom. They still said all was fine.
Did you not watch any news, at all, when this was forefront on all networks? CBS,NBC and ABC all raised concerns how that could be deemed OK.
I understand your nose up Bidens ass, closes your eyes, but you must have turned off all news not to have seen it, and reports from the EPA.
If everything was as fine as the EPA had claimed, Biden would have visited, and taken a victory stumble.
He will not go near the place, as people are still asking for help, and are worried about their health.

I don't own a TV, haven't for 20+ years.

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:

I don't own a TV, haven't for 20+ years.

You are on internet so you pay attention to news
TV is damn near obsolete nowadays

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a month after EPA was sent there, they told everyone to return to their normal lives, everything was safe.
FOI request showed epa took surface sample only, of the water in the creeks, to report it was safe from toxins. If you read the links in the link you posted, they admit to that under fOI requests.
Then the EPA went back to say, oh, dont go in the creeks.
I dont blame you for not having a TV, mostly trash anyway!