Picture of regor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:
Admiral and US Asst. Secretary of Health

Pretty impressive career.

Rachel Leland Levine (/ləˈviːn/ lə-VEEN; born October 28, 1957)[1] is an American pediatrician who has served as the United States assistant secretary for health since March 26, 2021.[2] She is also an admiral in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps.

Levine is a professor of pediatrics and psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine, and previously served as the Pennsylvania physician general from 2015 to 2017 and as secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health from 2017 to 2021.[3] Levine is one of only a few openly transgender government officials in the United States,[4] and is the first to hold an office that requires Senate confirmation.[5][6] On October 19, 2021, Levine became the first openly transgender four-star officer in the nation's eight uniformed services.[7]

Levine was named as one of USA Today's women of the year in 2022, which recognizes women who have made a significant impact on society.[8]

Early life and education
Born on October 28, 1957, Levine is originally from Wakefield, Massachusetts.[1][9] Her parents, Melvin and Lillian Levine, were both lawyers.[10] Her sister, Bonnie Levine, is four years older.[10] Levine is Jewish and grew up attending Hebrew school.[11] Levine earned a high school diploma from Belmont Hill School in Belmont, Massachusetts.[12]

Levine graduated from Harvard College and the Tulane University School of Medicine, completing a residency in pediatrics and a postdoctoral fellowship in adolescent medicine at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Manhattan, New York.[13]

Career
After completing her training in pediatrics and psychiatry at New York City's Mount Sinai Hospital, Levine moved from Manhattan to central Pennsylvania in 1993 where she joined the faculty of the Penn State College of Medicine and the staff at Penn State Hershey Medical Center.[14] During her tenure, she created Penn State Hershey Medical Center's Division of Adolescent Medicine and the Penn State Hershey Eating Disorders Program. She was in charge of the latter when she was nominated for the position of Pennsylvania physician general in 2015.[14]

Pennsylvania Department of Health
In 2015, Levine was nominated by Pennsylvania Governor-elect Tom Wolf to serve as Pennsylvania's physician general. In one of her most lauded actions as physician general, Levine signed an order allowing law enforcement officers to carry naloxone.[15]

In July 2017, Governor Wolf appointed Levine as Secretary of Health, and she was unanimously confirmed by the Pennsylvania State Senate.

COVID-19 response

Levine briefing COVID-19 measures with Gov. Tom Wolf at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in June 2020
During 2020 and until January 23, 2021, Levine led the public health response on COVID-19 in Pennsylvania as the state secretary of health. She worked closely on a daily basis with the FEMA director and led a daily press briefing. Along with Gov. Tom Wolf, Levine faced criticism from a few Republican leaders over her handling of the pandemic, particularly with regard to nursing home patients.[16]

On March 18, 2020, Levine directed Pennsylvania nursing homes to admit new patients, including stable patients recovering from the COVID-19 virus who were released from the hospital.[17] Despite warnings from nursing home trade groups that such policies could unnecessarily cost more lives, there is no evidence that Levine placed COVID-positive patients in nursing home facilities or that her decision resulted in excess death among the elderly.[16] Levine was also criticized for mishandling COVID data reporting[18] and insufficiently addressing the long-standing oversight problems in Pennsylvania nursing homes that were exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.[19] Levine faced further scrutiny in May 2020, when she moved her own mother out of a nursing home. In defending the move, Levine said, "My mother requested, and my sister and I, as her children, complied," describing her mother as "more than competent to make her own decisions."[20] These issues were momentarily highlighted by Republican lawmakers after President Biden nominated Levine for Assistant Secretary for Health. However, Levine's leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic has been widely praised as calm and steadfast by many Pennsylvanians and local media outlets.[21]

Biden administration

Levine with U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Xavier Becerra after being sworn in as assistant secretary for health, March 27, 2021
On February 13, 2021, President Joe Biden formally nominated Levine to serve as Assistant Secretary for Health.[22] Her confirmation hearing with the Senate HELP Committee took place on February 25. On March 17, the committee voted 13–9 to advance her nomination for a full Senate vote.[23] On March 24, the Senate voted 52–48, with all Democrats and two Republicans — Susan Collins from Maine and Lisa Murkowski from Alaska — joining all members of the Senate Democratic Caucus to confirm her nomination.[24] Levine is the first openly transgender person to hold an office that requires Senate confirmation.[25]

On October 19, 2021, Levine was commissioned as a four-star admiral in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, becoming the first openly transgender four-star officer in any of the United States uniformed services as well as the first female four-star admiral in the Commissioned Corps.[26]

LGBTQ health disparities
Shortly after her confirmation, Levine told NBC News that LGBTQ youth are topmost in her mind when it comes to addressing health disparities in the United States.[27] She cited bullying, suicide, discriminatory policies, and isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic as pressing issues among LGBTQ youth. Levine has also expressed concerns about vaccine hesitancy among LGBTQ youth who are more likely to experience medical distrust and less likely to seek medical care.[28]

During an April 2022 speech at Texas Christian University, Levine criticized "disturbing - and frankly discriminatory - laws and actions" that many states have implemented that affect the lives of LGBTQ youth.[29] In an interview with NPR, she cited a range of policies, including Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill and Texas' push to investigate parents who provide gender-affirming care to their transgender children.[30] Arguing that such policies are based on politics rather than public health, Levine encouraged people to contact the Office for Civil Rights when they feel discriminated against and vowed to provide support to those who contact her office.[29]

Personal life

Levine and White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre hold a Pride flag in 2022
Levine has two children.[31] She transitioned from male to female in 2011.[32] Levine married Martha Peaslee Levine in 1988[33][31] during Levine's last year of medical school[10][4] and divorced in 2013.[34][4] She has served as a board member of Equality Pennsylvania, an LGBT rights organization.[4]

Honors
Levine was named as one of USA Today's Women of the Year in 2022.[8]

Posts: 358 | Location: USA | Registered: 09 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
You sure seem to collect quit a few pictures of trannies. Everybody needs a hobby I guess......

They don’t like this anymore than the rest of us. You know it’s true when they try to insult you with the very thing they “claim” to support.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You sure seem to collect quit a few pictures of trannies. Everybody needs a hobby I guess......

They don’t like this anymore than the rest of us. You know it’s true when they try to insult you with the very thing they “claim” to support.

Oh, I love that song "Pretzel Logic".

Less so in political debates.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:

I'm not saying they're analogous Mike.
I'm saying that the current discussion has grown to the point that it deserves honest examination even if that examination reveals it to be problematic.
Where is my misinformation and outright lies?

I just pointed it out. You compare trans people to murderers, drug dealers and sex traffickers. The OP implies and you apparently accept the idea that trans people are out there regularly schooling kids to be trans.

Both of those assertions are misinformation and/or outright lies.

FFS! I'm in no way comparing them!
I could have just as easily said that I doubt that you know any sponge divers, worm farmers or knocker uppers but I went way out on a limb to suggest that you don't cohort with criminals - may have been my mistake...

As for your concern about "people out there regularly schooling kids to be trans", it's not just in the education system but in the medical community as well.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/08/...status-from-parents/

https://nypost.com/2021/06/30/...the-genders-of-kids/

I know you don't like the NYP but they are just easy to search.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of regor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not saying they're analogous Mike.
I'm saying that the current discussion has grown to the point that it deserves honest examination even if that examination reveals it to be problematic.
Where is my misinformation and outright lies?

I just pointed it out. You compare trans people to murderers, drug dealers and sex traffickers. The OP implies and you apparently accept the idea that trans people are out there regularly schooling kids to be trans.

Both of those assertions are misinformation and/or outright lies.

FFS! I'm in no way comparing them!
I could have just as easily said that I doubt that you know any sponge divers, worm farmers or knocker uppers but I went way out on a limb to suggest that you don't cohort with criminals - may have been my mistake...

As for your concern about "people out there regularly schooling kids to be trans", it's not just in the education system but in the medical community as well.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/08/...status-from-parents/

https://nypost.com/2021/06/30/...the-genders-of-kids/

I know you don't like the NYP but they are just easy to search.

How about a state?

Minors who believe they are transgender and are seeking sex change procedures and drugs “will be protected from the intervention of estranged parents” under a measure Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) signed into law Tuesday, the Associated Press reported.

https://apnews.com/article/was...4db94e241283067d2dff

They are sick, sick demented libturd puppies that want the kids, including Miguel.

They can't buy cigarettes, but they can make the decision to lob their junk off!!! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
I Thought I Was Saving The Trans Kids, Now I'm Blowing the Whistle

There are more than 100 pediatric gender clinics across the U.S. I worked at one. What’s happening to children is morally and medically appalling.

By Jamie Reed

February 9, 2023

I am a 42-year-old St. Louis native, a queer woman, and politically to the left of Bernie Sanders. My worldview has deeply shaped my career. I have spent my professional life providing counseling to vulnerable populations: children in foster care, sexual minorities, the poor.

For almost four years, I worked at The Washington University School of Medicine Division of Infectious Diseases with teens and young adults who were HIV positive. Many of them were trans or otherwise gender nonconforming, and I could relate: Through childhood and adolescence, I did a lot of gender questioning myself. I’m now married to a transman, and together we are raising my two biological children from a previous marriage and three foster children we hope to adopt.

All that led me to a job in 2018 as a case manager at The Washington University Transgender Center at St. Louis Children's Hospital, which had been established a year earlier.

The center’s working assumption was that the earlier you treat kids with gender dysphoria, the more anguish you can prevent later on. This premise was shared by the center’s doctors and therapists. Given their expertise, I assumed that abundant evidence backed this consensus.

During the four years I worked at the clinic as a case manager—I was responsible for patient intake and oversight—around a thousand distressed young people came through our doors. The majority of them received hormone prescriptions that can have life-altering consequences—including sterility.

I left the clinic in November of last year because I could no longer participate in what was happening there. By the time I departed, I was certain that the way the American medical system is treating these patients is the opposite of the promise we make to “do no harm.” Instead, we are permanently harming the vulnerable patients in our care.

Today I am speaking out. I am doing so knowing how toxic the public conversation is around this highly contentious issue—and the ways that my testimony might be misused. I am doing so knowing that I am putting myself at serious personal and professional risk.

Almost everyone in my life advised me to keep my head down. But I cannot in good conscience do so. Because what is happening to scores of children is far more important than my comfort. And what is happening to them is morally and medically appalling.

Read the rest (bulk) of the article and see the author's receipts HERE

Posts: 2928 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
If any of you find yourself on the fence with this subject please take the time to read the
entire article I just posted.

The Author is admittedly further left than Bernie Sanders.

I promise, it will raise a few eyebrows.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
If any of you find yourself on the fence with this subject please take the time to read the
entire article I just posted.

The Author is admittedly further left than Bernie Sanders.

I promise, it will raise a few eyebrows.

And, while you're at it, read this too for a different viewpoint from "Ty" and the rest of the haters:

https://nypost.com/2023/03/02/...leblower-jamie-reed/

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of regor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Mike, I bet you don't know any drug dealers, murderers or sex traffickers either.
Does that mean they don't exist?
They don't concern you at all?

It's not at all about an agenda "based on intolerance and hatred".
It is about observing a situation and asking honest questions about why that situation exists. Whether that situation is appropriate for particular people and what outcomes (good and bad) are the likely results.

For instance, if the incidence of suicide and thoughts of self harm are so much more prevalent in the trans community, why would we want to encourage more kids to join in?

Ones likelihood to be an alcoholic is recognized to have a genetic link. Perhaps something one could be born with, right?
That doesn't mean we should have 4th Grade mixology lessons though does it.

The analogy is bizarre and has no application that I can understand.

Statistically speaking, there aren't that many drug dealers, murderers or sex traffickers either. And, it is incredibly telling that you pick those types and use them in a way that you think is analagous to trans people. Unbelievable.

Nor do I deny the existence of transgenders. Don't know why you would post that up.

Nor do I see anybody anywhere encouraging kids to become transgender. Point me to something that supports the assertion that anybody, anywhere on the face of the planet is doing that.

This is a perfect example of what I just posted. A bunch of misinformation or outright lies that are touted as a reason to discriminate against a group of people who are different than you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...telling-parents.html

EXCLUSIVE: The trans school conspiracy exposed: Midwest teachers trade tips on 'subversively and quietly' transitioning kids without telling their parents, and skirting Republican gender laws, in workshop funded by federal government

DailyMail.com gained access to a private online meet of Midwestern teachers

Many parents would be horrified by what they said about trans students

They discussed keeping gender changes a secret from worried moms and dads

You're welcome Mikey. coffee

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by regor:
quote:
quote:
Mike, I bet you don't know any drug dealers, murderers or sex traffickers either.

It is about observing a situation and asking honest questions about why that situation exists. Whether that situation is appropriate for particular people and what outcomes (good and bad) are the likely results.

For instance, if the incidence of suicide and thoughts of self harm are so much more prevalent in the trans community, why would we want to encourage more kids to join in?

Ones likelihood to be an alcoholic is recognized to have a genetic link. Perhaps something one could be born with, right?

Statistically speaking, there aren't that many drug dealers, murderers or sex traffickers either. And, it is incredibly telling that you pick those types and use them in a way that you think is analagous to trans people. Unbelievable.

Nor do I deny the existence of transgenders. Don't know why you would post that up.

Nor do I see anybody anywhere encouraging kids to become transgender. Point me to something that supports the assertion that anybody, anywhere on the face of the planet is doing that.

This is a perfect example of what I just posted. A bunch of misinformation or outright lies that are touted as a reason to discriminate against a group of people who are different than you.

EXCLUSIVE: The trans school conspiracy exposed: Midwest teachers trade tips on 'subversively and quietly' transitioning kids without telling their parents, and skirting Republican gender laws, in workshop funded by federal government

Awful.

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Is this ok for YOUR children?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy7Oj4fSzuI

Hell NO! It is not even something that I wish to see or hear about.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite interesting as that some posters on this topic suggest that the anti trans or better yet the promotion of this sector is conservative.
I cannot identify one liberal I know that condones this life style directed towards children. Most are appalled.
I would not segment a position on this topic on political affiliation in the general population.
Perhaps politicians will take a side for garnering votes.
There are plenty of opportunities for the trans population in a circus.
Interesting: their fabricated parts do not function.
Why trade something in that works for something that will not run?

AND: This heat in N. Texas sucks this week!
120F feel like temps (in the shade)

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't purchase tobacco, or alcohol, cant be trusted to have the maturity to purchase firearms, to young to vote.....cant even get a tattoo......but they are plenty mature enough to make life altering decisions concerning gender...

You go leftards!

Agenda,much?????

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
The cool thing about the crater is that occasionally there are some profound observations and insights. Good job, Mike Mitchell. Your response tells you everything about the author. He exposed his bias and you spotted it.

quote:
And, it is incredibly telling that you pick those types and use them in a way that you think is analagous to trans people. Unbelievable.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awful.

I teach at an elementary school in rural Alaska. One of my colleagues spoke to our principal about a 4th grade student who wanted to use an alternate name and gender at school. During the discussion on how to handle the situation, the teacher mentioned discussing it with the parents. Our principal told her that she was not allowed to report this to the parents.

4th graders are 9 years old…

I’m still dumbfounded.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Let us discuss a real danger to children.

Trans people are 4 times more likely to experience violent victimization than cis/conforming people.

https://williamsinstitute.law....trans-press-release/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8344346/.

As a lawyer, I’m sure that you realize that the mentality ill are far more likely to be victims of violence than the rest of the general population.

Did you think that gender dysphoriawas a mental illness that would be and exception?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
For my money, anyone who supports mutilation of children to accomplish an irreversible, life-changing outcome deserves a bullet right in their face. And that includes the leftists on this board. Enough is enough.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I was listening to JRE today. Yesterday, he had on Bill Maher (Episode 2029). It was fascinating. My take-away was that the majority of the opposition in here, and you know who you are, are far to the left of even Bill Maher.

You guys will enjoy his take on Trump.

All the issues they discussed, especially the Trans movement stuff, he sounds reasonable.

They even discussed how can people even see through a prism of this stuff is ok.

makes me feel there might be hope. I'd post a youtube link but the interview is broken up into small segments. Spotify has it all (it's free)

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you see the numbers released this week?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertai...n-not-190659490.html

This whole issue is nothing but political. I have yet to see a single poster on this board support GAS for minors. Some, like myself, feel it is none of my business how others raise their children. I also support those of you so motivated to go out and get the law changed. Delaying surgery until 18 is certainly not something I am opposed too.

Who the hell is JRE? Some right wing political commentator who works hard to keep the audience agitated I'm sure.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you see the numbers released this week?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertai...n-not-190659490.html

This whole issue is nothing but political. I have yet to see a single poster on this board support GAS for minors. Some, like myself, feel it is none of my business how others raise their children. I also support those of you so motivated to go out and get the law changed. Delaying surgery until 18 is certainly not something I am opposed too.

Who the hell is JRE? Some right wing political commentator who works hard to keep the audience agitated I'm sure.

JRE is Joe Rogan. He considers himself a liberal. Bill Maher is obviously a very liberal guy. my point is, most in here are further left than Bill Maher. Listen to the interview before you claim I'm a right wing hack on this.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not claim you were a right wing hack, but I did assume you were gobbling up right wing propaganda. Joe Rogan is no more a liberal than I am the Pope. Bill Maher is liberal but fairly center left, hardly on the fringe. Maher has been saying for years the far left are off their rockers.

I noticed you failed to comment on the linked article showing how incredibly rare GAS is in minors.

You are correct, I did not listen to the podcast. No interest in supporting multimillionaire agitators of any political persuasion.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Admiral and US Asst. Secretary of Health

Pretty impressive career.

Rachel Leland Levine (/ləˈviːn/ lə-VEEN; born October 28, 1957)[1] is an American pediatrician who has served as the United States assistant secretary for health since March 26, 2021.[2] She is also an admiral in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps.

Levine is a professor of pediatrics and psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine, and previously served as the Pennsylvania physician general from 2015 to 2017 and as secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health from 2017 to 2021.[3] Levine is one of only a few openly transgender government officials in the United States,[4] and is the first to hold an office that requires Senate confirmation.[5][6] On October 19, 2021, Levine became the first openly transgender four-star officer in the nation's eight uniformed services.[7]

Levine was named as one of USA Today's women of the year in 2022, which recognizes women who have made a significant impact on society.[8]

Early life and education
Born on October 28, 1957, Levine is originally from Wakefield, Massachusetts.[1][9] Her parents, Melvin and Lillian Levine, were both lawyers.[10] Her sister, Bonnie Levine, is four years older.[10] Levine is Jewish and grew up attending Hebrew school.[11] Levine earned a high school diploma from Belmont Hill School in Belmont, Massachusetts.[12]

Levine graduated from Harvard College and the Tulane University School of Medicine, completing a residency in pediatrics and a postdoctoral fellowship in adolescent medicine at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Manhattan, New York.[13]

Career
After completing her training in pediatrics and psychiatry at New York City's Mount Sinai Hospital, Levine moved from Manhattan to central Pennsylvania in 1993 where she joined the faculty of the Penn State College of Medicine and the staff at Penn State Hershey Medical Center.[14] During her tenure, she created Penn State Hershey Medical Center's Division of Adolescent Medicine and the Penn State Hershey Eating Disorders Program. She was in charge of the latter when she was nominated for the position of Pennsylvania physician general in 2015.[14]

Pennsylvania Department of Health
In 2015, Levine was nominated by Pennsylvania Governor-elect Tom Wolf to serve as Pennsylvania's physician general. In one of her most lauded actions as physician general, Levine signed an order allowing law enforcement officers to carry naloxone.[15]

In July 2017, Governor Wolf appointed Levine as Secretary of Health, and she was unanimously confirmed by the Pennsylvania State Senate.

COVID-19 response

Levine briefing COVID-19 measures with Gov. Tom Wolf at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in June 2020
During 2020 and until January 23, 2021, Levine led the public health response on COVID-19 in Pennsylvania as the state secretary of health. She worked closely on a daily basis with the FEMA director and led a daily press briefing. Along with Gov. Tom Wolf, Levine faced criticism from a few Republican leaders over her handling of the pandemic, particularly with regard to nursing home patients.[16]

On March 18, 2020, Levine directed Pennsylvania nursing homes to admit new patients, including stable patients recovering from the COVID-19 virus who were released from the hospital.[17] Despite warnings from nursing home trade groups that such policies could unnecessarily cost more lives, there is no evidence that Levine placed COVID-positive patients in nursing home facilities or that her decision resulted in excess death among the elderly.[16] Levine was also criticized for mishandling COVID data reporting[18] and insufficiently addressing the long-standing oversight problems in Pennsylvania nursing homes that were exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.[19] Levine faced further scrutiny in May 2020, when she moved her own mother out of a nursing home. In defending the move, Levine said, "My mother requested, and my sister and I, as her children, complied," describing her mother as "more than competent to make her own decisions."[20] These issues were momentarily highlighted by Republican lawmakers after President Biden nominated Levine for Assistant Secretary for Health. However, Levine's leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic has been widely praised as calm and steadfast by many Pennsylvanians and local media outlets.[21]

Biden administration

Levine with U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Xavier Becerra after being sworn in as assistant secretary for health, March 27, 2021
On February 13, 2021, President Joe Biden formally nominated Levine to serve as Assistant Secretary for Health.[22] Her confirmation hearing with the Senate HELP Committee took place on February 25. On March 17, the committee voted 13–9 to advance her nomination for a full Senate vote.[23] On March 24, the Senate voted 52–48, with all Democrats and two Republicans — Susan Collins from Maine and Lisa Murkowski from Alaska — joining all members of the Senate Democratic Caucus to confirm her nomination.[24] Levine is the first openly transgender person to hold an office that requires Senate confirmation.[25]

On October 19, 2021, Levine was commissioned as a four-star admiral in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, becoming the first openly transgender four-star officer in any of the United States uniformed services as well as the first female four-star admiral in the Commissioned Corps.[26]

LGBTQ health disparities
Shortly after her confirmation, Levine told NBC News that LGBTQ youth are topmost in her mind when it comes to addressing health disparities in the United States.[27] She cited bullying, suicide, discriminatory policies, and isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic as pressing issues among LGBTQ youth. Levine has also expressed concerns about vaccine hesitancy among LGBTQ youth who are more likely to experience medical distrust and less likely to seek medical care.[28]

During an April 2022 speech at Texas Christian University, Levine criticized "disturbing - and frankly discriminatory - laws and actions" that many states have implemented that affect the lives of LGBTQ youth.[29] In an interview with NPR, she cited a range of policies, including Florida's "Don't Say Gay" bill and Texas' push to investigate parents who provide gender-affirming care to their transgender children.[30] Arguing that such policies are based on politics rather than public health, Levine encouraged people to contact the Office for Civil Rights when they feel discriminated against and vowed to provide support to those who contact her office.[29]

Personal life

Levine and White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre hold a Pride flag in 2022
Levine has two children.[31] She transitioned from male to female in 2011.[32] Levine married Martha Peaslee Levine in 1988[33][31] during Levine's last year of medical school[10][4] and divorced in 2013.[34][4] She has served as a board member of Equality Pennsylvania, an LGBT rights organization.[4]

Honors
Levine was named as one of USA Today's Women of the Year in 2022.[8]

This freak is as far removed from being a woman as I am.

And I am MOST DEFINITELY NOT A WOMAN! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66943 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not arguing your point. It just does not matter to me what they do in their house.

I'll keep the junk I was born with, what others do is not really that important to me in the big picture.

Have the trannies had much effect on you personally Saeed?

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Are they divided into and manual and auto and into a 3,5,10 speeds?
Does surgeon charge extra for all that?

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote