Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Motor company sees the light Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
We are just not ready for EVs as much as the left wants it.....

https://greenbuildingelements....ps-up-gas-production

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
There is an auto dealership in the local town here that has several of these electric charger units in their sales lot. I don't go to town a lot but I have never seen a vehicle there getting charged. Then again, this is ranch country, most people drive truck for a reason.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It will be a century before the US can abandon gas/diesel powered vehicles.

And then it is just as likely as not to be with battery powered vehicles.

Making and disposing/recycling batteries is as bad for the environment as anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fact that Ford can't figure out how to design and market EV's doesn't mean others haven't. Tesla sold almost 2,000,000 vehicles last year.

https://www.thestreet.com/elec...as-record-2023-sales

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15120 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
It will be a century before the US can abandon gas/diesel powered vehicles.

And then it is just as likely as not to be with battery powered vehicles.

Making and disposing/recycling batteries is as bad for the environment as anything.

An engineering viewpoint might be to use a technology where it is appropriate, leaving aside questions of political philosophy.

Urban vs rural presents some of the same questions that Rural Electrification answered a long time ago.

It has been almost a century since the Model A was introduced, supplanting Edison's electric car technology.

If transportation changes at a similar rate in the next century, things may look much different than we expect.

There may be other choices for power generation/transmission.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
The fact that Ford can't figure out how to design and market EV's doesn't mean others haven't. Tesla sold almost 2,000,000 vehicles last year.

Tesla probably does make the best EV that can be made at the time. There is a very limited market share for EVs…and it is becoming saturated. They, as they exist now, will never carry the day for making the world function.

Tesla stock is overpriced and declining in value. As much as I hate it for Elon…it looks like the EV market is becoming stagnant.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Tesla probably does make the best EV that can be made at the time. There is a very limited market share for EVs…and it is becoming saturated. They, as they exist now, will never carry the day for making the world function.

Tesla stock is overpriced and declining in value. As much as I hate it for Elon…it looks like the EV market is becoming stagnant.

Tesla sales increased last year. I get what your saying, I don't understand why anybody would want an EV but....to each his own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
China pretty much owns the world's lithium supply and for now, lithium is the best material for $$$$$ EV batteries. I think things will change in the future and better batteries/technology are made. Until then, I do think EV sales will stagnate. Lots of people, all urban, found out how much trouble these vehicles have when winter cold sets in. I am betting there is buyer regrets with that.

I recently saw a report that a battery plant in Kansas (if I remember correctly) uses so much energy for production that a coal plant scheduled for shutdown has been delayed.

So, yes, I do think the tech will improve but it will take a long time yet.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
China pretty much owns the world's lithium supply and for now, lithium is the best material for $$$$$ EV batteries. I think things will change in the future and better batteries/technology are made. Until then, I do think EV sales will stagnate. Lots of people, all urban, found out how much trouble these vehicles have when winter cold sets in. I am betting there is buyer regrets with that.

I recently saw a report that a battery plant in Kansas (if I remember correctly) uses so much energy for production that a coal plant scheduled for shutdown has been delayed.

The coal plant shutdown is humorous, but is an example of the compromises that will need to be made.

Fusion research should be one of our national priorities.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

And just recalled several hundred thousand yesterday, most 2023’s. rotflmo
https://www.google.com/url?sa=...Zp2lAkf&opi=89978449

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

Nothing to do with EV issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lightening is only one model from one company, over priced and not well done. The Edsel didn't sink gas cars either.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Like a fucking gasoline powered vehicle has never been recalled, LOL. FWIW Ford is recalling a lot of Explorers.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the meantime if morons like trump get their way we will ruin some of our most precious real estate by drilling for oil to support the gashogs we all love so much. I'm not an EV owner, but I do support the need to get away from fossil fuel dependent vehicles to the extent that we can. To believe that they are irreplaceable is sheer stupidity.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
In cold climate, EV’s can be worthless part of the year

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ANTELOPEDUNDEE:
quote:

In the meantime if morons like trump get their way we will ruin some of our most precious real estate by drilling for oil to support the gashogs we all love so much. I'm not an EV owner, but I do support the need to get away from fossil fuel dependent vehicles to the extent that we can. To believe that they are irreplaceable is sheer stupidity.

I have 3 beautiful ranches, teeming with wildlife, and multiple producing oil wells.

Your thought process is flawed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So, you're a 'gas hog', right?

The point is we are not there yet with reliable vehicles that use anything else but fossil fuel. I think it will be a long time yet before tech comes around. That said, drilling needs to happen until then.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have 3 beautiful ranches, teeming with wildlife, and multiple producing oil wells.

I was thinking of public land that people can visit and use like national parks. Who the hell wants to go there and look at oil rigs? Not me. They're already on plenty of public/government land as it is. Even Liz Cheney said she would drill in environmentally sensitive areas which changed my mind about ever supporting her.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, you're a 'gas hog', right?

The point is we are not there yet with reliable vehicles that use anything else but fossil fuel. I think it will be a long time yet before tech comes around. That said, drilling needs to happen until then.

No, I don't drive a gas hog which is a big fucking pickup with extended cab and dual wheels and one driver going down the road at 85 mph. By the looks of it, it never leaves a paved road. THAT's a gas hog. I mostly drive a Chevy Cavalier which runs great and gets reasonably good mileage. If I wasn't taking my granddaughter hom from school I'd do very little driving.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was thinking of public land that people can visit and use like national parks. Who the hell wants to go there and look at oil rigs? Not me. They're already on plenty of public/government land as it is. Even Liz Cheney said she would drill in environmentally sensitive areas which changed my mind about ever supporting her.

The oil companies are very good at producing environmentally sensitive areas. They usually provide enough revenue to areas that they are nicer. Yes, there was a time when that wasn’t true but that is 5 decades in history now

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
You want to see environmental destruction…go to Africa where the Chinese are mining for elements to produce batteries for things like EVs. It will put your heart in your boot-tops…sickening.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

When oil companies drill and pump oil on public land while paying us less than a private landowner it's corporate welfare, just like timber companies cutting our trees or ranchers grazing our grass at below-market prices.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Nothing to do with EV issue.

Your original comment stated Ford didn’t know how to design and market an EV but Tesla did. Then they recalled over 10% of their 2023 production. Remind me again about their designing acumen. animal

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like from what you've posted in the past that the drug runners are getting the most enjoyment from those 3 beautiful ranches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The oil companies are very good at producing environmentally sensitive areas."

They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their little hearts, are they? Those much hated greenies forced it.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like from what you've posted in the past that the drug runners are getting the most enjoyment from those 3 beautiful ranches.

Only one is in Deep South Texas. And yes the illegal immigrants and cartels make it less fun to utilize but as soon as we get rid of Biden…that will get back to normal.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

But you don’t mind wind turbines I assume
They ruin country side faster than anything else

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is an auto dealership in the local town here that has several of these electric charger units in their sales lot. I don't go to town a lot but I have never seen a vehicle there getting charged. Then again, this is ranch country, most people drive truck for a reason.

The malls here having charging stations in their car parks.

Used to see cars plugged in.

Not any more! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bivoj:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Good point!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You want to see environmental destruction…go to Africa where the Chinese are mining for elements to produce batteries for things like EVs. It will put your heart in your boot-tops…sickening.

I doubt that the mining operations here are a paragon of environmentalism and would be just as bad if there were no regulations. Then again there is destruction of rain forest acreage in order to grow fucking soybeans.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't like em, but how would you suggest we capture the power of wind which blows whether we utilize it or not? The columns which support the turbines are not made from recyclable material and in some places they are buried.
Funny thing there is a yuge wind farm not too far from the Dave Johnston power plant up the road from Douglas Wyoming.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I doubt that the mining operations here are a paragon of environmentalism and would be just as bad if there were no regulations. Then again there is destruction of rain forest acreage in order to grow fucking soybeans.

Where the Chinese have raped the Congo…it will grow fuck all. We live in our microcosm. The worst destruction the USA has ever seen would be viewed as environmentalism in much of Africa.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't like em, but how would you suggest we capture the power of wind which blows whether we utilize it or not? The columns which support the turbines are not made from recyclable material and in some places they are buried.
Funny thing there is a yuge wind farm not too far from the Dave Johnston power plant up the road from Douglas Wyoming.

I would say more obtrusive than any oil derrick replaced eventually by a fairly unobtrusive well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"But you don’t mind wind turbines I assume
They ruin country side faster than anything else"

A matter of opinion. We have them all over Iowa and I don't hear complaints. Lots of us think they are attractive. Dutch painters have glorified windmills forever, I don't see much artwork involving oil derricks. An anti greenie buddy of mine took a trip to Ohio a few years ago and around the Ill-Ind border we had an 8 mile detour off I-80 that went thru a huge wind farm. He was absolutely fascinated with the mills, thought they were very graceful & beautiful. I like them, they can put one in the field behind my house, I'm good.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have 3 oil wells within 100 yards of my home and you can’t even see them. I am good with that. Cool

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
China pretty much owns the world's lithium supply and for now

For now maybe, but Nevada has a HUGE deposit:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/...ium-deposit-2903178/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BushPeter:
quote:
China pretty much owns the world's lithium supply and for now

For now maybe, but Nevada has a HUGE deposit:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/...ium-deposit-2903178/

Our politicians allow china to buy our farmland so I won't hold my breath over this.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 3 oil wells within 100 yards of my home and you can’t even see them. I am good with that. Cool

You might be, but that doesn't mean that eveyrone else is good with it. I just grudgingly accept them on public land or private land where I've hunted. IMO we don't need to drill on ANWR.

BTW do you think that in 100 years that we will still be driving gas hogs that get 10 mpg or less?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You might be, but that doesn't mean that eveyrone else is good with it. I just grudgingly accept them on public land or private land where I've hunted. IMO we don't need to drill on ANWR.

BTW do you think that in 100 years that we will still be driving gas hogs that get 10 mpg or less?

Not sure how humanity will be traveling in 100 years…but I will hedge my assets that it won’t be in battery operated cars.

I also have windmills on some ranch property. One does way more harm to the eye appeal than the other. And one provides WAY more energy. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not sure how humanity will be traveling in 100 years…but I will hedge my assets that it won’t be in battery operated cars.

I also have windmills on some ranch property. One does way more harm to the eye appeal than the other. And one provides WAY more energy. Wink

Windmills should pump water for livestock. Wind turbines should generate power. The turbines are fugly.