Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Lane: What does the GOP stand for? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Asked in good faith of a man I consider a friend:
I thought it once stood for the Constitution, for liberty, truth, justice, personal responsibility and fair play.
I have no idea what it stands for today.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16415 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Positive for 2A rights, otherwise cheap energy with little or no environmental responsibility. Any rules which inhibit business or financial gain are a no no.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1209 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
Bill, both parties fall for addiction of power, therefore many principles go out of the window
So same exact question goes for Democrats, which you could ask our residents Democrats as well

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Protection of the wealthy and corporations, advancement of (some) religions, aggregation of power to prevent any outbreak of democracy that could threaten their agenda.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bivoj, the Democrat' objectives for some reason seem easier for me to discern. Theirs is also a deeply divided party, but more predictable, and they seem less hell-bent on destroying themselves and the country along with it.
I haven't much use for either party. Nolabels.org is interesting.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16415 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Bivoj, the Democrat' objectives for some reason seem easier for me to discern. Theirs is also a deeply divided party, but more predictable, and they seem less hell-bent on destroying themselves and the country along with it.
I haven't much use for either party. Nolabels.org is interesting.

NoLabels is a scam intended to draw far-left votes away from Democrats but seems more likely to instead attract conspiracy enthusiasts away from Republicans.

They are funded by right-wing billionaires including Harlan Crow, the one who bought Clarence Thomas.

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my mind the Republican Party is supposed to stand for individual rights, less government regulation, strong national defense, law and order, a balanced budget and as small a government as we can get away with.

They are supposedly pro states rights and individual rights.

They do have some areas of conflict where they have joined up with evangelical Christianity from their traditional support of freedom of (not from) religion.

When the GOP became the champions of pro life, the view of all their goals being equal became subsumed by the religious right crowd who are pro life Uber Alles. I’m in the mushy middle with abortion, personally. I despise it, but feel that within some guidelines (much more stringent than the left is willing to tolerate) we must keep it legal and available- but it’s not an issue I’m all that willing to commit on as a reason for my political positions.

I'm personally sick of my issues being compromised away for meaningless gains for the pro life crowd. I do point out that one can take a view that the position on abortion contradicts all of the other tenets of conservatism and republican principles.

Unfortunately for the leftists, in general every position they take I either disagree with or cannot go along with their extent and methods with regards to it.

So while I consider myself a republican, the party is doing its damnedest to drift away from me while the democrats have put themselves in overdrive away at the same time.

Some here claim AOC and her ilk can be reasoned with. I see zero evidence of that. They are just media smoothed democrat versions of Boebert or MTG.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Asked in good faith of a man I consider a friend:
I thought it once stood for the Constitution, for liberty, truth, justice, personal responsibility and fair play.
I have no idea what it stands for today.

Constitution
- I believe the GOP is grounded in the Constitution
- I am happy to have that debate.

Liberty
- 34% of Democrats say Americans have ‘too much freedom’

Truth
- Is this this the truth

Justice
- a commodity produced by Judiciary Branch supposedly unbiased by politics. I have never seen more Politically motivated AGs than Garland and Holder.
- happy to argue the GOP is more pure in Justice

Personal Responsibility
- GOP certainly tops the (D) here

Fair play
- I see the GOP as a winner here too

Sovereignty
- the primary role of the Federal Government is to protect the borders and sovereignty of the Nation!
- the current administration is willfully and wantonly failing here

In between surgeries for lunch…so I am short of time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Constitution? You mean that document having the most Bill of Rights applied to the system that says a State cannot force people to pray or endorse a certain religious tenant.

Or is it the Constitution President Trump called to suspend and have him immediately reinstated as President? You know the guy you will vote for in the General.

You mean the Constitution that says a state cannot regulate an internal border or set migrant policy as those are reserved to the Federal Government.

How about the Constitution that says, you cannot void consenting adult marriages; just because they are not different sex.l?

Or

How about the Constitution that says x your religious point of view is not sufficient rationale to criminalize sex between consenting adults.

That Constitution, right?

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If the Constitution actually prohibited prayer in school…we would not have had it as common place up until the mid 1970s.

Hopefully, the current SCOTUS will correct this.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
If the Constitution actually prohibited prayer in school…we would not have had it as common place up until the mid 1970s.

Hopefully, the current SCOTUS will correct this.

If the Constitution actually entitled black Americans to vote...

If the Constitution actually allowed women to vote...

On the other hand, if the Constitution intended for Corporations to accrue Constitutional Rights it would have said so.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was because the 1st Amendment did not apply as a restriction upon state governments in the originally.

Your attempt to force religion, your religion, upon others will not be successful.

You mean the Constitution that says through the Commerce Clause you cannot discriminate against African Americans is services, selling goods, and hiring.

You have no superior claim to the Constitution.

You cannot morally, logically use the 2nd Amendment as comic limitation upon state governments, and not apply the same to the other Bill of Rights Amendments, or Constitutional clauses.

Posts: 10929 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say the GOP stands for securing the border, that alone makes the GOP far far superior to the Democrats. Lately I see many dem mayors talking about border security. Funny how that happens.

Personally I am in favor of a massive number of work permits for people that register and come over through some kind of legal means

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neither party represents who I am.
Both parties are fiscally irresponsible.
Both parties want limits or to take away things I believe in.
All I can do is vote for the one who does me the least amount of harm to my way of life.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
That was because the 1st Amendment did not apply as a restriction upon state governments in the originally.

There was prayer in school in all 50 states prior to the mid 1970s.

Your attempt to force religion, your religion, upon others will not be successful.

You mean the Constitution that says through the Commerce Clause you cannot discriminate against African Americans is services, selling goods, and hiring.

You cannot morally, logically use the 2nd Amendment as comic limitation upon state governments, and not apply the same to the other Bill of Rights Amendments, or Constitutional clauses.

The Constitution does not guarantee freedom “from” religion…only freedom “of” religion. You seem to like Mike Pence…he too makes that argument.

I believe the current SCOTUS will eventually correct that misinterpretation.

No one wants to “force” anyone to any religion. A good Libertarian would want the Federal Government to keep its nose out of local communities and do something useful like securing the border.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Constitution does not guarantee freedom “from” religion…only freedom “of” religion. You seem to like Mike Pence…he too makes that argument.

No one wants to “force” anyone to any religion. A good Libertarian would want the Federal Government to keep its nose out of local communities and do something useful like securing the border.

You should read the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
quote:
quote:

You should read the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

Exactly! There is no freedom from only freedom of religion. Glad you can see it my way.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Lane talks about allowing prayer in schools, he should be honest enough to say he means Christian prayers. He doesn't include Buddhist prayers or Shinto prayers. Or any other than Christian prayers.

I'm agnostic on the existence of God, but atheist on all religion. I don't want any prayers taught in school--and saying prayers in school is teaching them.

The fact no one sued to stop the practice, and the issue of Constitutionality never was raised, before the 1970s, isn't relevant because the Court was never asked to rule on the issue.

Posts: 6136 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RolandtheHeadless:
When Lane talks about allowing prayer in schools, he should be honest enough to say he means Christian prayers. He doesn't include Buddhist prayers or Shinto prayers. Or any other than Christian prayers.

Do you enjoy being wrong Roland? I want the Feds to stay out of it and let local communities decide.

I'm agnostic on the existence of God, but atheist on all religion. I don't want any prayers taught in school--and saying prayers in school is teaching them.

Wrong again. A coach praying for the safety of his team and the safety of parents traveling is not teaching prayer.

The fact no one sued to stop the practice, and the issue of Constitutionality never was raised, before the 1970s, isn't relevant because the Court was never asked to rule on the issue.

Since it started at the beginning with the Founders condoning it and last for 200 years speaks for itself. This court will also likely rule differently…hopefully.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Except you do not want the local community government to mandate the school lead your Don in an Islamic prayer.

Some communities in Michigan have Islamic religious practicing majorities.

A prayer is obstructing in religion bc it invoked the State endorsing what prayer, which religion gets spoken.

The Founders never intended to apply the Bill of Rights against the States. That includes the 2nd, you want to Feds to protect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do you enjoy being wrong Roland? I want the Feds to stay out of it and let local communities decide.
But local communities certainly can't be allowed to decide on the NEXT Amendment, can they?

Wrong again. A coach praying for the safety of his team and the safety of parents traveling is not teaching prayer.
Would his prayer be less effective if he said it before he came to the school? Is your God really that petty that he would injure a child because of where a coach prayed from?

Since it started at the beginning with the Founders condoning it and last for 200 years speaks for itself. This court will also likely rule differently…hopefully.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
His son can pray at school right now.

The State bring the school simply cannot put its finger in the scale of what god, and what words the prayer is appropriate to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
His son can pray at school right now.

The State bring the school simply cannot put its finger in the scale of what god, and what words the prayer is appropriate to.

But that's no good unless all the other students can be forced to listen to his son pray.

I like the part about the First Amendment should be subject to local control but the Second Amendment should never be.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The Constitution guarantees people the freedom of religion. It makes no statement guaranteeing freedom “from” religion…pre or post incorporation doctrine. The language simply doesn’t exist. Rulings on the matter in the 1970s were wrong…hopefully the current SCOTUS will get the opportunity to correct.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Constitution guarantees people the freedom of religion. It makes no statement guaranteeing freedom “from” religion…pre or post incorporation doctrine. The language simply doesn’t exist. Rulings on the matter in the 1970s were wrong…hopefully the current SCOTUS will get the opportunity to correct.

There is no way I can have freedom OF my religion if I don't have freedom FROM yours, and it runs both ways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no way I can have freedom OF my religion if I don't have freedom FROM yours, and it runs both ways.

There is really nothing more to say on the subject.

Posts: 15881 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not wrong; you're just being disingenuous. You know damn well most US communities are dominated by Christians who couldn't care less about minority rights. Yes, you want the Christian majority to decide what prayers are said. Admit it.

Kids learn at school not merely by their formal lessons, but how the adults there model themselves. That's part of the learning environment. A coach that instructs the team in prayer certainly is teaching.

If you can predict how the current court will rule, you're doing better than most lawyers.

Posts: 6136 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not even remotely true. It does require and was meant to promote tolerance.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the truth when the state can force someone else’s child to say, listen to your prayer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not wrong; you're just being disingenuous. You know damn well most US communities are dominated by Christians who couldn't care less about minority rights. Yes, you want the Christian majority to decide what prayers are said. Admit it.

Kids learn at school not merely by their formal lessons, but how the adults there model themselves. That's part of the learning environment. A coach that instructs the team in prayer certainly is teaching.

If you can predict how the current court will rule, you're doing better than most lawyers.

Christian community control is not necessarily guaranteed to be the case. Rights are for all and not just the majority.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not even remotely true. It does require and was meant to promote tolerance.

It boils down to this: Your religion, if you let it, may tell you what you must and must not or can and cannot do. Your religion may NEVER tell me what I must or must not or can and cannot do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then why are you insisting that Lane practice your secular humanism?

When I was in school, I routinely had to sit through and be respectful of things I disagreed with. It neither changed my opinion nor made me feel like I needed to go to court to get them to shut up.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Then why are you insisting that Lane practice your secular humanism?

When I was in school, I routinely had to sit through and be respectful of things I disagreed with. It neither changed my opinion nor made me feel like I needed to go to court to get them to shut up.

Were they things the Constitution specifically said Congress shall make no Law regarding the establishment of?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on your interpretation of some of the bill of rights, sure.

Free association. Freedom of religion. Discrimination.

Let’s not even go in to some of the things that occurred in ROTC- you probably have a better idea than I what kind of things happen given you were active duty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Depending on your interpretation of some of the bill of rights, sure.

Free association. Freedom of religion. Discrimination.

Let’s not even go in to some of the things that occurred in ROTC- you probably have a better idea than I what kind of things happen given you were active duty.

When you put on government clothes you forfeit most Rights, Constitutional and otherwise.

Those "Lifetime maximum whole-body radiation doses"? I exceeded those in an afternoon, several times. OSHA doesn't apply.

The VA still cannot access my medical records, if they even exist, 40 years later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the GOP is grounded in the Constitution

animal Sorry everything you said after the above statement is not worth reading. You encapsulate the maxim of the three "wise" monkeys; Deaf, Dumb, and Blind. I pray for your recovery.

Posts: 13782 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talking out of one side of his mouth, Lane and his ilk claim that atheism is a religion.

The other side of their mouth says there is no freedom from religion.

Okay then. My religion tells me there should be no public prayers in school. Let me exercise my religion without being imposed on by yours.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me exercise my religion without being imposed on by yours.

That statement is the epitome of talking out of both sides of the mouth. But, you knew that before you wrote it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my mind the Republican Party is supposed to stand for individual rights, less government regulation, strong national defense, law and order, a balanced budget and as small a government as we can get away with.

They are supposedly pro states rights and individual rights.

They do have some areas of conflict where they have joined up with evangelical Christianity from their traditional support of freedom of (not from) religion.

When the GOP became the champions of pro life, the view of all their goals being equal became subsumed by the religious right crowd who are pro life Uber Alles.

Now that the SCOTUS has sent abortion back the states and subsequently to the Federal Legislature for written law…I believe you will see this issue dwindle in priority for the GOP.

I’m in the mushy middle with abortion, personally. I despise it, but feel that within some guidelines (much more stringent than the left is willing to tolerate) we must keep it legal and available- but it’s not an issue I’m all that willing to commit on as a reason for my political positions.

I am pretty close with you here.

I'm personally sick of my issues being compromised away for meaningless gains for the pro life crowd.

See above comment.

I do point out that one can take a view that the position on abortion contradicts all of the other tenets of conservatism and republican principles.

Yes, from the personal freedom side of the woman…I agree…and at one time due to this…I was pro-choice.

I flipped when I went through pregnancy with my wife and had my own child. I realized I was pro-choice for the wrong reason. Women can advocate for themselves. That in-utero child has no advocate other than the State. That child is the purest form of life…looking for nothing other than love and and to give love back. They are humans. They deserve the same rights as every other human…not to be treated as a cancer and thrown out with the trash.

Unfortunately for the leftists, in general every position they take I either disagree with or cannot go along with their extent and methods with regards to it.

100% for me.

So while I consider myself a republican, the party is doing its damnedest to drift away from me while the democrats have put themselves in overdrive away at the same time.

I am not willing to give up on what I ‘used to’ espouse as the Greatest Country on Earth. I see the GOP as the only remaining option. A place to work within to TRY to effect change in the correct direction. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. But I have learned from the Democrats. Stick together no matter what. Reagan was right with his 11th commandment.

Some here claim AOC and her ilk can be reasoned with. I see zero evidence of that. They are just media smoothed democrat versions of Boebert or MTG.

I was headed back to do a better job with my answer to Bill and then read Dr. B’s. This is a very good post and while I am not with it 100%…I am in 90% agreement.

I will just add:
The GOP is far from perfect. But they offer a glimmer of light. I never champion the GOP but rather point out their general trend is far superior to that of the (D) party. For now, national elections are binary — D of R. Primaries are an essential part.

The Democratic Party is wacko.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue is not going to dwindle for the GOP.

Look at the Ballot and State S. Court battles.
I am reading a bunch of material, organized Evangelicals are very upset within the FOP we are not seeing a National Abortion Ban.

No, Dr. Easter it is not going away. It is only the beginning. It is also the trampoline to attack contraception rights as we see in Court cases filed in Texas.