THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    Hogs are running wild in the U.S.—and spreading disease
Page 1 2 

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hogs are running wild in the U.S.—and spreading disease Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...4e9fa0ea089fc7cea43f

================================================

This is something that worries me because I like to hunt feral hogs, and I like the sausage that I make from them.

I already wear latex gloves and mask during butchering. But is this something else I should just quit?

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19739 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I wonder when broad spread poison will be implemented.

Posts: 9115 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is already implemented.

DNR looks away.

One significant problem is that it has by-kill consequences. Lots of species, including vultures.

So far we have lots of vultures, well fed just from road-kill.

Poison is not the cure.

One local farmer uses drones and AR's and kills hundreds - he claims. I hear lots of shooting at night hereby. Lots of buzzards next day and the following week. I have noticed a decline in the hog population.

Today I chatted with the UPS driver, who hunts the property adjacent, and he said he has seen two large boars, over 300 lbs est, but didn't get a shot. He's a bow hunter. His info is reliable.

About a week ago, nearby, I met up with maybe five guys hunting hogs with dogs. They were just returning to their trucks with their four wheelers. They were busy gathering their dogs. They had caught two hogs, left them in the woods. One was a big boar and they had the head. Killing hogs with dogs is a sport that is beyond me. They use big knives or spears to dispatch. Deep in the swamps. Woof!!!

I see lots of sounders and rooting myself.

I like to "harvest" a pig - 80 to 100 lbs, in Texas when I go out there. Somehow Texas pigs don't stink. Most of those here stink. I don't know why.

I won't butcher a pig that stinks. The stink doesn't go away.

Having spent so many years in Alaska, I learned to butcher myself. I never take a deer or hog to a processor.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19739 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Right or wrong is a different topic.
My granddad farmed and had livestock. In order to curb predation Gramps would mix hamburger with cyanide pellets and broadcast the mix around the farm. The predators evaporated, as did the raptors, skunks, coons, and ground squirrels.

It was winning all the way around.

Roundup was supposed to to inert after 8 hours or sometime that. What if they made a poison that went inert after a short period in the deceased swine stomach? If you wanna get pigs to stop tearing up your place, a wholesale extermination seems most likely to succeed.

Posts: 9115 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The predators evaporated, as did the raptors, skunks, coons, and ground squirrels.

It's nasty business.

Cold.

Human.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time, on the trail from Hope to Cooper Landing, Alaska, during moose season, I met up with an old-timer in camp. He was guarding the moose quarters already got while the others were out hunting.

I chatted for a while. The meat was in game bags and hung up on a pole between trees.

Anyway, the main topic I remember was that he said the way he kept the blow flies, and maggots, off the meat was to use poison on a pile of scrap meat and guts nearby.

I asked what he did with the poison pile when he left.

He said he burried it.

I mentioned that critters would dig it up and die.

He said something to the effect of oh well.

I just went on down the trail.

You can't fix that.

I personally knew some of the old-timers when I lived in SE Alaska. I never knew one who admitted it, but they said they knew of some who would gut-shoot, from their boat, every grizzly they saw on the beach. The intent was that the gut-shot beast would run off and die.

That's the way it was.

XXX

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
Once upon a time, on the trail from Hope to Cooper Landing, Alaska, during moose season, I met up with an old-timer in camp. He was guarding the moose quarters already got while the others were out hunting.

I chatted for a while. The meat was in game bags and hung up on a pole between trees.

Anyway, the main topic I remember was that he said the way he kept the blow flies, and maggots, off the meat was to use poison on a pile of scrap meat and guts nearby.

I asked what he did with the poison pile when he left.

He said he burried it.

I mentioned that critters would dig it up and die.

He said something to the effect of oh well.

I just went on down the trail.

You can't fix that.

I personally knew some of the old-timers when I lived in SE Alaska. I never knew one who admitted it, but they said they knew of some who would gut-shoot, from their boat, every grizzly they saw on the beach. The intent was that the gut-shot beast would run off and die.

That's the way it was.

Different times held different values. Custer was a hero for decades. I'm not sure he still shouldn't be.

For my farming forefathers, poison brought success, wealth, security, continuity. My father and uncle and their offspring benefitted from poison. You and I are different, we moved to or were drawn to the wilderness, the frontier, the pristine. Seriously, if pigs invaded Alaska and they could use single purpose poison to irradicate them would you object? I don't think we need another invasive species in AK.

This AK wilderness probably shouldn't be tamed and I like that. Bears shouldn't be gut shot and the river doesn't need a levee of dam. But we depend on Louisiana and Georgia and California to feed us so perhaps those pugs need eradication.

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Having monetized these vermin they will not be eradicated by these states.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The reason pigs have taken off is that the people of the USA are not hungry. We used to eat them. Since the Spanish went through Texas…there were feral pigs. The old families in Texas ate them faster than they could replicate.

I grew up on the West Fork of the Trinity. Somewhere about 1970, we found some hog tracks on the river. We went back with our catahoula cow dogs, found, caught, or killed them all and ate them.

During the early 20th…people ranched hogs in that country for their own food. Every last one was utilized. Through the depression…if a hog grunted on the Trinity it was in someone’s larder the next day.

The hogs began proliferating on the Trinity drainage in the mid-1980s — the rest is history.

We should begin eating them. Only the aged (over a year old) boars stink. But yes, the aged boars stink in TX too. Really can’t beat the acorn/deer-corn fed gilts and shoats however.

If things go bad…they are a food source.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Aren’t there wild boar in Alaska?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36614 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Right or wrong is a different topic.
My granddad farmed and had livestock. In order to curb predation Gramps would mix hamburger with cyanide pellets and broadcast the mix around the farm. The predators evaporated, as did the raptors, skunks, coons, and ground squirrels.

Roundup was supposed to to inert after 8 hours or sometime that. What if they made a poison that went inert after a short period in the deceased swine stomach? If you wanna get pigs to stop tearing up your place, a wholesale extermination seems most likely to succeed.

Except it’s a federal felony to kill raptors. Best not get caught.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Aren’t there wild boar in Alaska?

As far as I know there aren't any hogs in AK, except some domestic hogs.

I think some species could survive there, such as those in Siberia.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corral traps work well for those who know how to use them and are patient.

It's no contest between poison and corral traps, IMO.

There are various designs. Those small box type traps will catch pigs too, but they educate far more pigs than they catch.

There are some people who do it for hire.

The portable corral traps are best IMO, because once a bunch are trapped, the trap can be moved for effect.

Several years ago, the state allocated money to hire an outfit who specialized in using the corral traps. They were very effective, till the money ran out. I think it was a set-up between a wealthy lawyer landowner and the republican legislature, since most of the traps were on his land.

Poison is extremely lazy and unethical because of the collateral damage to other species.

I would far rather see some guys make money from the good service of trapping hogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1T5dKuwLfY

Wild Pig Corral Traps

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I ask for 2 reasons:

1) watching Harrison Ford’s version of Call of the Wild…they have a wild boar in the Alaskan Bush which prompted me to do a search.

2) I find things such as this. Is this total BS? I had never heard of Boar in Alaska…but I got to thinking they were in Siberia.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is the place:

https://alaska.guide/Island/Marmot-Island

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we ever hit food insecurity on a national level again, you will see the broad based reintroduction of poison use.

It’s really the most effective way of controlling vermin.

It and eradication of habitat are the ways that species have been removed by man.

I agree that bykill and contamination are issues with poisons. But people have been shown to be willing to put up with that if it means notably better living for them.

We are allowing a certain amount of raptor kill for wind turbines- is that any different?

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe this is the place:

Unlikely in the time frame of Jack London-

"Over the years, people have also tried to introduce non-native species to Alaska. A man named Reed Oswalt in 1984 wanted to establish a population of European wild hogs on Marmot Island near Kodiak. Reed released eight hogs he had transported up from California on a 40-acre parcel of land he owned on Marmot Island. The hogs escaped their confines and spread out over the island. Staffers from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game visited and found severe damage to the vegetation. They ordered Reed to remove the hogs from state land. He was either unwilling or unable to do so, but the pigs disappeared anyway. In 1998 a hunter killed the last one on the island."

In general -
They are few.
Some are occassionally found near Soldatna
(having been released near there as well)

Despite ads such as:
https://coyotehunting.us/wild-boar-hunting-in-alaska/

The current national map:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wil...s/scwds-map-2021.jpg

The Canadians also made the mistake:

https://www.nationalgeographic...through-north-canada

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
If we ever hit food insecurity on a national level again, you will see the broad based reintroduction of poison use.

It and eradication of habitat are the ways that species have been removed by man.

I agree that bykill and contamination are issues with poisons. But people have been shown to be willing to put up with that if it means notably better living for them.

We are allowing a certain amount of raptor kill for wind turbines- is that any different?

Pretty sure there’s a difference between accidental killing by a machine and intentional poisoning by a human from a legal perspective.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sodium Nitrite is an effective poison that pigs are especially susceptible too at lower doses than affects other animals. You guys over there have a real problem and beleive me, having to put up with 1080 broadcast over here, its not nice. Something will have to be done though.

Posts: 4250 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

Pretty sure there’s a difference between accidental killing by a machine and intentional poisoning by a human from a legal perspective.

The point being we are tolerating a certain amount of endangered raptor killing by windmills due to societal views of how we generate power. Not long ago, any bald eagle kills would get a project shut down.

If we start having issues with feeding folks, I could see them being more than happy to poison out things that interfere with food production again.

That we are so prosperous that we find the human/animal interactions to be insignificant right now allows us to be more concerned about bykill than we were back in the day when we poisoned out the wolves, as an example.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, I think there is a difference.

I'll go with this:

https://www.audubon.org/news/wind-power-and-birds

Wind Power and Birds

Audubon strongly supports wind energy that is sited and operated properly to avoid, minimize, and mitigate effectively for the impacts on birds, other wildlife, and the places they need now and in the future. To that end, we support the development of wind energy to achieve 100% clean electricity.

===============================================

But the whole thing is disgusting, and you may be correct:

https://www.google.com/search?...sclient=gws-wiz#ip=1

My last trip to AK, passing through the fly over zone, construction of wind turbines was active. Lots of long truck/trailers with the propellers on the road. Lots of turf already covered.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The point being we are tolerating a certain amount of endangered raptor killing by windmills due to societal views of how we generate power. Not long ago, any bald eagle kills would get a project shut down.

If we start having issues with feeding folks, I could see them being more than happy to poison out things that interfere with food production again.

That we are so prosperous that we find the human/animal interactions to be insignificant right now allows us to be more concerned about bykill than we were back in the day when we poisoned out the wolves, as an example.

I agree.

It's not just feeding, but housing, security in all respoects.

Humanity will fuck the environment and other species when survival is threatened, or even if precieved to be threatened.

Fuck the environment and other species is already here.

That's where we are headed.

Ethica, morality, God's creation, stewardship - just talk.

XXX

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm certain no one want to kill raptors. No one.
I'm certain no one likes poison. No one.

I'd wager that most here would happily see the number of feral pigs in America reduced by 1/2 or 3/4 or so. Keep some to hunt in some places, keep some for casual viewing entertainment, and return the rest of the nation to it's native fauna self.

No this doesn't apply to pheasants, they're special. Big Grin

Wild horses are another one. If not eliminated, mustangs should be reduced by at least 3/4.

Again, leave the pheasants alone. Big Grin

I've dealt just a little with feral cats and dogs, and the only avenue is extermination. We've made a mistake giving allowances to these pigs and it's getting worse.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd wager that most here would happily see the number of feral pigs in America reduced by 1/2 or 3/4 or so. Keep some to hunt in some places, keep some for casual viewing entertainment, and return the rest of the nation to it's native fauna self.

Wild horses are another one. If not eliminated, mustangs should be reduced by at least 3/4.

I've dealt just a little with feral cats and dogs, and the only avenue is extermination. We've made a mistake giving allowances to these pigs and it's getting worse.

100%! Well written my friend.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Native Americans can and do kill some for "cultural" reasons... so incorrect.
Actually, I use and like poison for a number of uses. That doesn't mean indiscriminate use with no concern for its impact. Antibiotics are a type of poison... as are almost all chemotherapy drugs.

I'd wager that most here would happily see the number of feral pigs in America reduced by 1/2 or 3/4 or so. I get by without any locally... why limit it to those numbers?
Keep some to hunt in some places, keep some for casual viewing entertainment, and return the rest of the nation to it's native fauna self.

Prairie chickens, quail and sharptails are neat... I'm OK with removing ring neck pheasant if it meant a return to the true native biome... and I enjoy shooting pheasants. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:

This, right here, is the issue.

Just Google "Feral Hog Hunts" and take a look at what some of these outfitters are charging for hog hunts!

I seriously doubt that any of them have private fenced land capable of containing these hogs so they certainly wouldn't want to see a reduction in their numbers near their operations.

A pure open season on them is all that can be done to even put a dent in their populations and potential spread.
This just isn't one of the government's priorities right now - better to use resources and spend money on other silly crap.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Native Americans can and do kill some for "cultural" reasons... so incorrect.
Actually, I use and like poison for a number of uses. That doesn't mean indiscriminate use with no concern for its impact. Antibiotics are a type of poison... as are almost all chemotherapy drugs.

I'd wager that most here would happily see the number of feral pigs in America reduced by 1/2 or 3/4 or so. I get by without any locally... why limit it to those numbers?
Keep some to hunt in some places, keep some for casual viewing entertainment, and return the rest of the nation to it's native fauna self.

Prairie chickens, quail and sharptails are neat... I'm OK with removing ring neck pheasant if it meant a return to the true native biome... and I enjoy shooting pheasants. Wink

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
We spend thousands each year on trapping and nightvision equipped hunters(killers).

In addition to this-
we pay our "lease hunters" a small bounty at the end of each lease year based on the pig numbers they have killed each year.

For our ranches-- it is war-- not sport.

We have to this point avoided poison,
that said, it may be the next step.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor who used to trap hogs.

He liked to catch all sizes, but the prize was the biggest boar he could catch.

Of course such a critter is far more difficult to transport, but he had methods. It was illegal but he did it anyway.

The boars could fetch $3000 alive, depending on size and color.

He sold them to some game farm who sold hunts.

If I remember correctly and understood him, the young boars were castrated and turned loose to grow on the game ranch. They grew quickly and fat and had curled tusks which the clients liked, apparently never noticing or cared that the hog had no balls.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe this is the place:

Pigs: In 1984 resident of the island, Reed Oswalt, thought it a good idea to introduce wild boar on the local ecology. Beginning with two males and six females, by the end of the first year they had expanded across the island, by the end of three it was obvious they were destroying vegetation. Fish and Game and NPS tried to eliminate the boars, but were not very successful. Because the state considers the pigs deleterious exotic wildlife, wild boar can be hunted year-round with only a hunting license. No tags required and no bag limit. While the pigs are still open for hunting, a wild boar has not been sighted on the island since 1998. In 2008 a survey was conducted and no activity of the animals was found

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:

Just Google "Feral Hog Hunts" and take a look at what some of these outfitters are charging for hog hunts!

I seriously doubt that any of them have private fenced land capable of containing these hogs so they certainly wouldn't want to see a reduction in their numbers near their operations.

A pure open season on them is all that can be done to even put a dent in their populations and potential spread.
This just isn't one of the government's priorities right now - better to use resources and spend money on other silly crap.

That and the pork lobby. There used to be quite a market for feral hogs, mostly shipped to europe. The pork lobby killed it!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
quote:

That and the pork lobby. There used to be quite a market for feral hogs, mostly shipped to europe. The pork lobby killed it!

I had a random thought that interested me; here in Dillingham and south western Alaska we catch, safely process and ship around the world millions of pounds of wild salmon. The salmon are closely inspected and graded in part because of the looser methods of take of wild fish and move thru the processing accordingly. Why in the world can we safely and profitability move a product as fragile as wild salmon from the ends of the world but we can't move wild and non native/ invasive meat? From the industrial centers of The New World? That's nonsense!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I had a random thought that interested me; here in Dillingham and south western Alaska we catch, safely process and ship around the world millions of pounds of wild salmon. The salmon are closely inspected and graded in part because of the looser methods of take of wild fish and move thru the processing accordingly. Why in the world can we safely and profitability move a product as fragile as wild salmon from the ends of the world but we can't move wild and non native/ invasive meat? From the industrial centers of The New World? That's nonsense!

There isn't much of a domestic salmon lobby Scott.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

There isn't much of a domestic salmon lobby Scott.

What I meant was we can produce very good quality wild salmon and yet as you note, we don't commercialize wild pig. Seems like a great way to put a big dollar sign on wild boar and reduce the population.

Ok, I get it, the opposition. Seems like if there's more than $2 billion annually in agriculture losses that should change someone's mind.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
There is a market for wild hog meat. Your thought process is correct and could be achieved Scott. It actually did start at one time. JTEX’s point was that the commercial pork lobby killed it and he is correct. Now, money to fight the pork lobby will have to be raised to reinstitute it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
Maybe this is the place:

Pigs: In 1984 resident of the island, Reed Oswalt, thought it a good idea to introduce wild boar on the local ecology. Beginning with two males and six females, by the end of the first year they had expanded across the island, by the end of three it was obvious they were destroying vegetation. Fish and Game and NPS tried to eliminate the boars, but were not very successful. Because the state considers the pigs deleterious exotic wildlife, wild boar can be hunted year-round with only a hunting license. No tags required and no bag limit. While the pigs are still open for hunting, a wild boar has not been sighted on the island since 1998. In 2008 a survey was conducted and no activity of the animals was found

Grizz

I figured there were Kodiak brown bears on Marmot Island.

According to the way I read this info from Alaska fish and game, they allow bear hunts on Marmot Island,

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/in...=kodiakbear.kodiak61

Land Ownership
Tonki Peninsula and most of the Seal Bay drainage are state owned and administered by Alaska State Parks. Marmot Island is mostly state land with one small parcel of private land on the west side.

A Kodiak brown bear would have no trouble catching a pig regardless of size.

Seems to me that introducing pigs to the island could likely also introduce disease new to brown bear.

Good riddance.

Ledvm posted this link, with the question are there feral hogs in Alaska:

https://coyotehunting.us/wild-boar-hunting-in-alaska/

Wild Boar Hunting in Alaska: An Ultimate Guide
November 27, 2022 by Liam Shapley

I think probably it's a hoax/con. That happens sometimes re Alaska guides and hunting.

I searched AK game regs and found only one mention of feral swine, combined with feral ferret, on the very last page all the way to the bottom. No bag limit.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/st...ions/pdfs/smgame.pdf

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I wonder why Harrison Ford chose to put a wild boar in his version of “Call of the Wild?”

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Wild hogs, in reality, pose little disease threat. Can’t imagine a disease threat to brown bear.

That said…no need for them there.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wild hogs, in reality, pose little disease threat. Can’t imagine a disease threat to brown bear.

You're a vet. No need to imagine.

Wild hogs are prone to many diseases that are transmittable. That's a fact and it's easily confirmed with minimal search.

So you should know.

Start with the OP:

According to the USDA, feral swine can carry a litany of pathogens that could potentially spread to people such as leptospirosis, toxoplasmosis, brucellosis, swine influenza, salmonella, hepatitis, and pathogenic E. coli.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aph...ne-risks-pets-people

XXX

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You're a vet. No need to imagine.

Wild hogs are prone to many diseases that are transmittable. That's a fact and it's easily confirmed with minimal search.

So you should know.

Start with the OP:

According to the USDA, feral swine can carry a litany of pathogens that could potentially spread to people such as leptospirosis, toxoplasmosis, brucellosis, swine influenza, salmonella, hepatitis, and pathogenic E. coli.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aph...ne-risks-pets-people

All of those pathogens are wide spread already ME and are carried by domestic livestock such as sheep, goats, and cattle. Rats are the most prolific spreaders of lepto.

The only pathogen unique to swine is pseudorabies. It has been tried to be made into a boogey man for my entire career. It is a problem for domestic swine producers…not wildlife.

I freely butcher and eat wild hogs.

They are a plague for sure…just not from a disease standpoint. Take that to the bank.

Cook the meat…wash your hands…principles I learned from my Granny long before vet school.

J. Lane Easter, DVM