THE ACCURATE RELOADING POLITICAL CRATER

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  The Political Forum    Biden administration does NOT support Taiwan independence

Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden administration does NOT support Taiwan independence Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
https://x.com/collinrugg/statu...981134167613862?s=46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you point me to ANY past administration since Nixon that publicly supported anything other than the "One China" policy? Continuity in foreign policy? Shocking, just shocking.

fishing

Inquiring minds and all....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...he%20United%20States'%20One%2DChina,does%20not%20challenge%20that%20position.%22

Posts: 188 | Location: Boulder mountains | Registered: 09 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biden administration DID sell Taiwan $500 million in arms last year....

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/w...om-china-intensifies

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15050 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I think it is pretty clear that Trump/Pompeo supported Taiwan independence.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:

However, you can’t deny that Kirby stated that the administration does NOT support Taiwan independence. Can’t get much clearer than that.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
'

It has never been official US policy, no administration since Nixon has ever publicly stated support for Taiwan independence.

Non-issue, nothing burger.

Posts: 188 | Location: Boulder mountains | Registered: 09 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Trump administration has cast aside long-standing policies toward China and Taiwan, both raising expectations and setting new constraints for how the Biden administration will deal with its largest geopolitical competitor.
On Saturday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo abruptly lifted U.S. government rules prohibiting interactions between American and Taiwanese diplomats, a move that amounted to a symbolic but significant upgrade in the U.S. relationship with the democratic island, which China claims as its territory.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That still falls far short of explicitly expressing official support of a change in the one China policy.

Critical thinking Lane.....come on, you can do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bertram:
quote:
'

It has never been official US policy, no administration since Nixon has ever publicly stated support for Taiwan independence.

Non-issue, nothing burger.

Respond to this, because this is accurate.

If Congress wanted to pass a joint resolution recognizing Taiwan independence they could. It would be toothless, but something. President Trump’s administration did not negotiate a mutual defense treaty w Taiwan or recognize the government in exile.

I believe official U.S. policy is the status quo, no unification by force, be maintained until the issue is resolved diplomatically. Now, I agree that probably will never happen. However, that is my basic understanding of US policy in the issue. It was the same under President Trump.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
the Trump administration has cast aside long-standing policies toward China and Taiwan, both raising expectations and setting new constraints for how the Biden administration will deal with its largest geopolitical competitor.
On Saturday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo abruptly lifted U.S. government rules prohibiting interactions between American and Taiwanese diplomats, a move that amounted to a symbolic but significant upgrade in the U.S. relationship with the democratic island, which China claims as its territory.

Why am I not surprised that you would support making the foreign policy of the United States an instrument of petty revenge against the guy who beat you?

Why was this "change" only implemented on the way out the door?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9548 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

But nobody is willing to fight a nuclear war over it...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tweets on X is now Lane's information source. I guess that beats posts by Sundance on The Conservative Treehouse. Republicans struggle with consistency. Ukraine is a big waste of money and we need to mind our own business and let Russia and Putin do whatever they want. On the other hand Taiwan is a critical national interest and we need to do everything we can to hold China and Xi in check.

Mike

Posts: 21199 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Relates to him being an Elon fan-boy.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
That still falls far short of explicitly expressing official support of a change in the one China policy.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/CdLAkbdl.jpg[IMG]

Allowing Taiwan US Diplomats is explicitly denying support for the One China policy.

I am not the one lacking the critical thinking here and resorting to memes. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Relates to him being an Elon fan-boy.

I am. But, so is MJ. He expressed it in the space thread the other day. I concurred.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/CdLAkbdl.jpg[IMG]

Allowing Taiwan US Diplomats is explicitly denying support for the One China policy.

I am not the one lacking the critical thinking here and resorting to memes. Wink

You are attempting to move the goal post. Any thinking man can see that the official US position towards the One China policy has not changed since 1972, that policy was the same under Trump as it is under Biden. You have simply failed to make your case that continuity in foreign policy is somehow cause for outrage, it is not. Much more of a nothing burger than something to be upset about. Then again, if the MAGA crowd did not have outrage, what would they have?

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

However, you can’t deny that Kirby stated that the administration does NOT support Taiwan independence. Can’t get much clearer than that.

SB is absolutely correct. The US policy on US Taiwan relations is set out in a State Dept Fact Sheet. Here it is -

https://www.state.gov/u-s-relations-with-taiwan/

It was updated in 2022 and it states
The United States approach to Taiwan has remained consistent across decades and administrations. The United States has a longstanding one China policy, which is guided by the Taiwan Relations Act, the three U.S.-China Joint Communiques, and the Six Assurances. We oppose any unilateral changes to the status quo from either side; we do not support Taiwan independence

The previous version published under Trump in 2017 said the same -
the United States recognized the Government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal government of China, acknowledging the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China. The United States does not support Taiwan independence

https://2017-2021.state.gov/u-...lations-with-taiwan/

Successive US governments have made the same statement, but all have had strong unofficial ties with Taiwan and have provided Taiwan with weapons and intelligence giving it the means to defend itself, both under Trump and under Biden, no difference.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It did change under Trump — fact.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . prove it. Not some random mumbling by Trump but something showing a formal change in US position. Trump mouth farts so much I attach little value to some random statement by him.

Mike

Posts: 21199 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
It did change under Trump — fact.

Feel free to enlighten me. If I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it and Im always happy to learn.

What some shyster reporter said on Twitter isn't proof though.

What the person you linked on Twitter was clearly aiming to give the impression of is that Biden is weak on or has watered down any security commitments on Taiwan (or possibly the twitter chap is ill informed or just ignorant).

"White House official John Kirby says that the Biden administration doesn't support Taiwan's independence.

Yikes."

Not quite what the White House said is it, what they said was "President Biden was very, very clear that that nothing's changed about our one China policy."

"We don't support independence for Taiwan, but we also don't wanna see the status quo changed in a unilateral way, and certainly not by force.""

... which is exactly the line in the State Department fact sheet. And the previous one published under Trump.

With respect, you were obviously taken in, hence your post. You rely a lot on Twitter for your information,It's a cesspit of misinformation, spin and lies.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were bipartisan, congressional joint resolutions passed during Trump years that did not change policy to an independent Taiwan.

The idea is to keep Taiwan armed to prevent unification by force.

Dr. Easter really does not under stand civics to get what is happening.

President Carter changed policy and the GOP in the Senate lead by Goldwater failed in switching it back. It has been the same ever since.

If President Trump wanted to change policy he would have had to negotiate a treaty of recoil mutual defense, and submit that to the Senate fur ratification.

I support current U.S. policy. The policy goal of status quo w a diplomatic resolution to resolve the division being now, the same as President Trump. President Regan, both Bushes, President Clinton, and President Obama.

Superficial recognition of diplomats in a limited context does not change overall policy.

Dr. Easter gets pieces of info from far right sources and runs w it trying, but failing to draw the distinctions he thinks it does.

Note this bill only requires sanctions when Taiwan is under military invasion.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/...ess/senate-bill/1027

Here is a breakdown of policy by President Regan’s administration.

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/row/IF11665.pdfHe

A summary of US One China Policy:
https://www.csis.org/analysis/...d-why-does-it-matter

Here is a real good primer on the policy:

https://jfsc.ndu.edu/Media/Cam...y-education-faculty/

That one is from the Joint Forces Staff College. Dr. Easter is flat wrong.

I am not even saying I agree with Ine-China policy being to maintain the status quo and prevent China from incorporating Taiwan by force. I am just telling you it is and has been US Policy.

Now, I think if the U.S. took a different view being to formally recognize Taiwan or a return to a mutual defense treaty as before, China would go to war.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paraphrased from the WaPo article:
The Trump administration has cast aside long-standing policies toward China and Taiwan.

On Saturday January 9, 2021, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, as directed by President Trump, abruptly lifted U.S. government rules prohibiting interactions between American and Taiwanese diplomats, a move that amounted to a symbolic but significant upgrade in the U.S. relationship with the democratic island, which China claims as its territory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...819a1ccb_story.html#

While The Bureaucracy might not have followed…the Trump Administration deviated from the One China Policy and tipped his hand on future policy should he become president again.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Fair comment, thanks Lane. I'll add that to my list of things Trump did right Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Trump or family or any of his billionaire donors has any financial interests in Taiwan, then whatever he does will serve that first.

And whatever serves him politically - that's what he will do. Nothing more, nothing just for the sake of the right thing.

BTW, it looks like the GOP is not interested in supporting the independence of Ukraine.

So, why would Taiwan be different?

After all, Zelinski didn't product the dirt Trump wanted, and the attempted extortion got Trump impeached.

Frankly, I don't believe the GOP, in general, Trump specifically, can do anything that can be trusted to be right on the surface, because there's always spin, lies and ulterior motives.

Certainly, Russia and China are taking notes and seeing affirmation of the long-standing notion that the US is weak, the will of the people is weak and predictably so. They have no stamina for longstanding commitments in such foreign policy. China and Russia can play the long game, and win.

quote:
While The Bureaucracy might not have followed…the Trump Administration deviated from the One China Policy and tipped his hand on future policy should he become president again.

dancing

That's kinda funny, taken in the broader context.

The "Bureaucracy" or the loathsome "Deep State" or Administrative State", per the Rightists, didn't cave to many of Trump's dastard policies and whims.

And Trump tipped his hand in too many ways to list regarding a possible future admin in office.

One thing for sure, the "Bureaucracy" will kowtow next time. "The velociraptors have learned how to turn the doorknobs." (See Heritage Foundation's Project 25)

=================================================

Regarding the OP premise:

Biden and his Admin have sent mixed messages re Taiwan's "independence".

Here's one article:

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/19...wan-if-china-attacks

Biden, again, says U.S. would help Taiwan if China attacks
SEPTEMBER 19, 2022

Here's another, later article:

https://www.reuters.com/world/...pendence-2024-01-13/

January 13, 2024 Updated 3 months ago

U.S. does not support Taiwan independence, Biden says

(Last paragraph in the article)

China was angered in 2016 when then-President-elect Donald Trump spoke by phone with President Tsai Ing-wen of Taiwan, the first such conversation between U.S. and Taiwan leaders since President Jimmy Carter switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 1979.

Here's the results of the search on "what did Biden say about supporting Taiwan"

https://www.google.com/search?...sclient=gws-wiz#ip=1

Another on the question: "why does u.s. not support taiwan independence"

https://www.google.com/search?...sclient=gws-wiz-serp

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19653 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally do not believe that China will ever go military on Taiwan. They have a very big problem with a very large dam that guarantees it. Hundreds of millions could die if Taiwan were to put a missile or 2 into it. I remember reading that US military planners were ecstatic at the building of it. It makes China a sabre rattling paper tiger, just like the Aswan dam did for Egypt.

Posts: 15866 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
If Trump or family or any of his billionaire donors has any financial interests in Taiwan, then whatever he does will serve that first.

And whatever serves him politically - that's what he will do. Nothing more, nothing just for the sake of the right thing.<<<<<

John Bolton on trump from a couple of days ago:

“Everything is episodic, anecdotal, transactional. And everything is contingent on the question of how this will benefit Donald Trump.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us...d-trump-dictatorship

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's rather evident now, in hindsight, that many or most republicans, everywhere, congress, etc. his cabinet, the whole admin, thought they could control and influence Trump, since he didn't know much - not nearly as much as he thought he knew.

Somehow, they mistakenly thought he was pliable, and would listen to those who actually knew stuff and had experience. The GOP had several ops to get rid of Trump but blew it.

So, some of those people, including his cabinet, stalled many times to avoid bad outcomes for the country, and the deep state did have effect. That was a good thing.

A large majority of those people now recognize their mistake and are saying so. That's big of them.

Now, those who are left, and a new batch, the real loyalists, don't want him controlled. They want to turn him loose, and help him being a loose cannon.

Someone or a team who knew the history and strategy on something as important as Taiwan's situation and the U.S. policy could explain it to him in detail, but his attention span would preclude that. The existing policy could be solid, for many good reasons, developed over time, and Trump would think it's trash and he could do better, make a better deal, play with it for his ego, and just do whatever whim suits him.

The next admin will be loyalists, yes people. They will help where they can to satisfy even his wildest whims even if they flip the next week.

Foreign policy will be a chaotic farce, and no one, no nation can trust them. The people who will be happy about it will be like MAGA Moses Johnson, Gym Jordon, etc., etc. and the MAGAs, and Putin of course, and perhaps China.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19653 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote