Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The continent of Africa Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Clark Amendment cut off assistance to Angola during Ford’s Administration. It does not appear Ford officially sent troops to Angola. The War Powers Act would pass in 1976 so limiting. Now, could President Ford have sent trips. If you say so, I believe you. The US did send training military personnel, and did encourage South Africa to send forces into Angola.

Bsck40: Tell me, where I am wrong about the failure of colonial powers to transition to effective self rule by former African Colonies that provided an equal access to political power for blacks did not cause the communist/nationalist movement? Or, tell me how I am wrong that the post colonial white governments failed and actively designed governments to keep political control did not lead to those communists/nationalists movements

Would you have accepted a government that gave the minority a mandatory quote of seats and legislative veto? I would not have.

The fact is Rhodesia, just like Bastia in Cuba, created the monster that ate
them.

In the British political parlance of the 1960s, "the Rhodesian problem" referred to the difficulty of dealing with the white settler minority in Southern Rhodesia. In 1964, Great Britain granted independence to Malawi and Zambia, former members of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, based upon constitutions providing for black majority rule. However, the third Federation member, Southern Rhodesia, rejected British efforts to bring a peaceful transition to majority rule and self-determination under
democratic terms, and in 1965, unilaterally declared independence.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ledvm:
Again…you have a lot learn.

Ian Smith had a plan. He had the influence. He had the respect…both white and black. All he lacked was time. And, time was the key ingredient. Carter denied him time. The monkey is squarely on Great Britain’s and Carter’s back.[/QUOTE

Nothing I said was false.

Not has it been.

It is clear you desire a racially pure one party system from both your post here and on domestic post.

You cannot be taught.

Ian Smith could be the greatest soldier I’m the world. He still led and supposed the racist regime that led to his downfall and the burning of his Nation State.

The plan was to have whites control a voting bloc to block legislation through mandatory quote of seats. That is not disputable. This is and was never acceptable. You would not have accepted such if you were in the majority.

Rhodesia refused to allow Blacks equal and just participation in Government for decade. This applied to minority party whites as well they forced into exile and prison Worse the condition was bf independence. The price was a war. They lost. Mugabe was snd us horrible. For everyone not in support of the RF, the White Majority did the same.

You know who else was a WWII blood and Guts soldier? Joachim Peiper, who was also a racist and an evil one at that.

War Service is not relevant to this conversation. The fact it blinds you in hero worship is a you problem.

This is a discussion about what is the cause of Rhodesia specifically, and Sub/Sahara Africa in general falling to nationalist/communist movements. Those were symptoms; reactions to the failure of slicks and political integration from colonial rule.

The “we know what’s best for you so we are going to govern, at gun point if required” argument is indefensible. Just like the end justifies the means is indefensible if you are a Christian when voting for someone who is utterly amoral.

Posts: 7159 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didnt get into the other politics.
You said Ford did nothing in Angola.
You were wrong.
Bush while working under Ford kept sending aid. So did everyone else after, Clark be damned. The US had men there for 25 years, CIA, mercs, and small military numbers from all branches. There was no declaration of war, it was all done the roundabout. All this info is available.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nute:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Again…you have a lot learn.

Ian Smith had a plan. He had the influence. He had the respect…both white and black. All he lacked was time. And, time was the key ingredient. Carter denied him time. The monkey is squarely on Great Britain’s and Carter’s back.

Nothing I said was false.

Not has it been.

It is clear you desire a racially pure one party system from both your post here and on domestic post.

You cannot be taught.

Ian Smith could be the greatest soldier I’m the world. He still led and supposed the racist regime that led to his downfall and the burning of his Nation State.

The plan was to have whites control a voting bloc to block legislation through mandatory quote of seats. That is not disputable. This is and was never acceptable. You would not have accepted such if you were in the majority.

Rhodesia refused to allow Blacks equal and just participation in Government for decade. This applied to minority party whites as well they forced into exile and prison Worse the condition was bf independence. The price was a war. They lost. Mugabe was snd us horrible. For everyone not in support of the RF, the White Majority did the same.

You know who else was a WWII blood and Guts soldier? Joachim Peiper, who was also a racist and an evil one at that.

War Service is not relevant to this conversation. The fact it blinds you in hero worship is a you problem.

This is a discussion about what is the cause of Rhodesia specifically, and Sub/Sahara Africa in general falling to nationalist/communist movements. Those were symptoms; reactions to the failure of slicks and political integration from colonial rule.

The “we know what’s best for you so we are going to govern, at gun point if required” argument is indefensible. Just like the end justifies the means is indefensible if you are a Christian when voting for someone who is utterly amoral.

Would that be similar to OUR governments telling Ian Smith’s government in the 70’s and the SA government in the 90’s that we know better than you what is good for your country and we will force you to conform to our will of how you should govern???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Rather twisted semantics there Lane, when tje UK wasn’t “governing them” but was seeking democracy so the populace could make their own decisions. Very different.

Posts: 7159 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rather twisted semantics there Lane, when tje UK wasn’t “governing them” but was seeking democracy so the populace could make their own decisions. Very different.

Not different at all the USA and UK forced our will onto quite exceptionally well functioning countries…by force basically. IE: We know whats best for you and will force you into.

Go drive around Harare or Johannesburg and tell me what shining success that was. We should have left well enough alone and rewarded success with our support. After all the colonists of Zimbabwe did exactly what the UK wanted them to do…until they didn’t.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36546 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not different at all the USA and UK forced our will onto quite exceptionally well functioning countries…by force basically. IE: We know whats best for you and will force you into.

Go drive around Harare or Johannesburg and tell me what shining success that was. We should have left well enough alone and rewarded success with our support. After all the colonists of Zimbabwe did exactly what the UK wanted them to do…until they didn’t.

It is the same thing again now.

With social rules about gays!

You do as we say, or we else.

China is laughing all the way to the bank! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm skeptical that any different foreign policy on the part of The West would have influenced an alternative outcome in Africa. The majority culture or society in the normal world is going to make the rules. See Rwanda for an easy example. ( yes I understand minorities make all the rules in the USA, but the Twilight Zone will be the Twilight Zone so nevermind us.)

Looks to me like Tribalism is the norm over there and no matter if you're Shona or Hutu, it's no more or less your family take all. I see 82% of the population of Zimbabwe is Shona, less than 1% is white. I doubt there was ever a different outcome.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Really stretching the logic there Lane.

What the UK actually had was a requirement for majority rule. We didn’t force them to do it our way at all, they could have chosen any form of government they wanted, as long as the choosing was inclusive. The actual wording was that the terms of independence had to be acceptable to the population as a whole … not just the ruling single digit percentage of whites.

As someone who is often vocal about freedom and the never surrender Texas mindset I’m surprised you miss the irony of your support for the we know what’s best for you government model.

Yes Zim is a shithole, but it’s a shithole of their own making.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

What the UK actually had was a requirement for majority rule. We didn’t force them to do it our way at all, they could have chosen any form of government they wanted, as long as the choosing was inclusive. The actual wording was that the terms of independence had to be acceptable to the population as a whole … not just the ruling single digit percentage of whites.

As someone who is often vocal about freedom and the never surrender Texas mindset I’m surprised you miss the irony of your support for the we know what’s best for you government model.

Not true at all!

Harold Wilson installed Mugabe in power!

You lot were playing God in those days.

Just as the bloody Yanks have been doing ever since!

With utter failure!

The Chinks are having Africa presented to them on a golden platter!

Carry on with your convoluted ideas of converting Africa to your own LGBTQFUCKALL agendas! jumping

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
That would be quite an achievement Saeed, as Mugabe was elected in 1980 and Wilson resigned from office in 1976 rotflmo

I don’t deny at all that the uk was as bad as the US, removing leaders they didn’t like , funding separatists/ insurgents and generally causing misery. But both have done a lot of good too.

The people of Rhodesia deserve to be able to govern themselves, the 5% governing the 95% is indefensible. That they make a balls up of it is still not justification for those who (think they) know best to do it for them. Applying that logic the UK should revoke US independence the day they elected Trump. Obviously they can’t be trusted to govern themselves if they can elect a complete moron … Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...2955f433275cf2&ei=11

Worldwide fascism is being accelerated by the one thing few people want to talk about | Opinion
Story by Thom Hartmann, Raw Story •
7h

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19660 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tribal populism has some serious drawbacks.

I don’t know if I would consider any of the African nations really nationalistic. Maybe Egypt and kinda Ethiopia.

Rhodesia and apartheid South Africa were nationalistic (they appealed to their citizens based on nationalism) see the black folks who served the nation against the majority tribal political groups.

I do know that there are more than a few older Zimbabweans (black) that admit the country was better run under white rule. Fairer run, no. But less corrupt and public services did what they were supposed to do.

Do they want to go back to the old ways? No. But they do want to have some of those elements back.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Zim and Harare were beautiful and exceptionally well functioning in the 60 and 70s. Harare has not a road repaired since 1980.

Johannesburg headed the same way. I remember when SAA was my favorite airline to fly.

We, my country and yours, forced our will onto those countries…as well as Iraq. “We” had the “we know better” attitude and forced our will. It was the wrong decision.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...2f155bfabdf9ab&ei=23

Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin makes chilling vow in first video since failed mutiny
Story by Jordan King •
6h

Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin has seemingly made an appearance in Africa where he has pledged to ‘make Russia even greater’.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19660 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
We, my country and yours, forced our will onto those countries…as well as Iraq. “We” had the “we know better” attitude and forced our will. It was the wrong decision.

Sorry Lane, you are wrong. In the case of the UK we said if you want independence the terms must be acceptable to the majority, not just the white 5%. The majority could have subsequently come up with any constitution they want, there was no requirement to follow our particular system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...before_majority_rule

I don’t dispute that the place is worse as a result.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sorry Lane, you are wrong. In the case of the UK we said if you want independence the terms must be acceptable to the majority, not just the white 5%. The majority could have subsequently come up with any constitution they want, there was no requirement to follow our particular system.

Why is it WE?

Non of your bloody business! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It did not seem to stop the UAE and the Saudi's from heading over to Yemen to attempt to straighten out those goat herders
(or is it camel herders?).

Not that you had much success....

clap

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am not wrong.

You just stated the UK forced its will onto a functional system. The result was devastation.

Had the UK granted Ian Smith’s government independence and subsequent support along with the USA following suit…the country would be the shining star of the continent today…

…instead of an wasteland being pillaged by China…the new colonists.

We (our countries) told Ian…”we know better than you” what you need. The rest is history…devastation. It was just as big of a mistake as was Iraq.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
You are wrong. We didn’t force them into anything.

A condition of independence was that the terms should be acceptable to the majority. If the majority wanted a totalitarian dictatorship, a communist utopia, to make Nkomo an absolute monarch … whatever they wanted, nothing imposed by us. They could also have stayed as they were, no one forced Smith to declare independence.

It was effectively a self governing white run state since the 20’s, 40 years later, exactly the same. The white 5% had over 40 years to build an inclusive society but they enjoyed the status quo and did nothing. But you swallow it hook line and sinker that the 5% have had a damascene conversion and would change it all, just need time Roll Eyes

As to Zim being the shining star of the continent today, pure supposition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Zimbabwe was the breadbasket of Africa. One of the few net exporters of food.

It went to needing food aid pretty quickly.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t tolerate a government that gave me no say, either… I can sympathize with the plight of the blacks in Rhodesia or South Africa.

What I don’t get is their tolerance of something worse… strongmen who steal everything.

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Well, Zimbabwe was the breadbasket of Africa. One of the few net exporters of food.

It went to needing food aid pretty quickly.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t tolerate a government that gave me no say, either… I can sympathize with the plight of the blacks in Rhodesia or South Africa.

What I don’t get is their tolerance of something worse… strongmen who steal everything.

I totally get it, the strongmen are their kind. Their tribe, their family. Germans can hate Jews, but not their fellow Germans. Shona backs Shona.

It's very common in rural AK, if you're from the same village you get and give a free pass.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lack of support when needed is essentially force as they would have made it with the support of the UK of the USA. You may wish that weren’t so but it is.

A condition of independence was that the terms should be acceptable to the majority.

And that was totally unrealistic term. Politically correct for the West…but unrealistic in Africa.

If the majority wanted a totalitarian dictatorship, a communist utopia, to make Nkomo an absolute monarch … whatever they wanted, nothing imposed by us. They could also have stayed as they were, no one forced Smith to declare independence.

It was effectively a self governing white run state since the 20’s, 40 years later, exactly the same. The white 5% had over 40 years to build an inclusive society but they enjoyed the status quo and did nothing. But you swallow it hook line and sinker that the 5% have had a damascene conversion and would change it all, just need time Roll Eyes

Absolutely zero supposition. The country and cities were beautiful in the 70s. They were net exporters. The country was a huge success and the colonists did EXACTLY what the UK wanted them to do. Then the UK abandoned them over political correctness. USA was no better…shameful on our part.

We told Rhodesia do as we say or we will make sure you fail.

Later the USA did essentially the same to SA.

Both are essentially failed states today due to our short sightedness of what was feasible in Africa…do as we dictate or we will ensure failure.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lack of support when needed is essentially force as they would have made it with the support of the UK of the USA. You may wish that weren’t so but it is.

Lack of support is force? Roll Eyes

A condition of independence was that the terms should be acceptable to the majority.

And that was totally unrealistic term. Politically correct for the West…but unrealistic in Africa.

Botswana?

If the majority wanted a totalitarian dictatorship, a communist utopia, to make Nkomo an absolute monarch … whatever they wanted, nothing imposed by us. They could also have stayed as they were, no one forced Smith to declare independence.

Absolutely zero supposition. The country and cities were beautiful in the 70s. They were net exporters. The country was a huge success and the colonists did EXACTLY what the UK wanted them to do. Then the UK abandoned them over political correctness. USA was no better…shameful on our part.

Complete supposition, anything could have happened in those 50 years even with the 5% still in charge. Most likely would be a ruined economy as a result of insurgencies against the 5% / civil war.

We told Rhodesia do as we say or we will make sure you fail.

Later the USA did essentially the same to SA.

Both are essentially failed states today due to our short sightedness of what was feasible in Africa…do as we dictate or we will ensure failure.

We are never going to agree on this, the above is my last reply.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
In the 60's and 70's Detroit, SF, LA, Chicago, etc were models of civility and progess too.
Quite similar to modern Zimbabwe today.