Notify
Tools

Tech bank failure Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
The percentage of Americans with accounts exceeding the FDIC insured limit is very small. Normal people need to know those insured amounts are not going anywhere, so they can relax. Those with larger amounts knew they were not insured by FDIC above the limit, and took that risk. Bad decisions should hurt so we learn from them.

For individual Americans the mean account is $41,000

A college grad with a Bachelors $79,000

Without a highschool diploma $9,000

Now i'm reading the FDIC's limit is really more a recommendation than a limit?
Moving the goal posts comes to mind.

Even a neophyte like me realises this move will add both debt and inflation.
Who will ultimately pay for that?

This sounds more & more like the government using my rainy day fund to bail out folks Bernie Bros
refer to as millionaires and billionaires.

https://twitter.com/houmanhemm...649072333389824?s=20

Posts: 2968 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
The percentage of Americans with accounts exceeding the FDIC insured limit is very small. Normal people need to know those insured amounts are not going anywhere, so they can relax. Those with larger amounts knew they were not insured by FDIC above the limit, and took that risk. Bad decisions should hurt so we learn from them.

It's a very troubling situation. I have an elderly parent who has serious worries. Seeing people standing in lines outside a bank in tears is a bit much. I have little faith in government and 'insurance' they say they will back up.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Debt to asset ratio of 185-1??

Who the hell runs a bank like that?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67023 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger:
Ann, you must be some kind of special stupid. If the government didn’t shore up investors with this failed bank, what the fuck do you think people are going to be doing across the US? come on, stretch those 47 neurons and give an answer a shot.

So, Doug, do you think a bank failure run won't impact the economy? I do.

There were plenty of bank failures under trump, 15 or 16. I don't recall a drop of concern from you.

Posts: 15882 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

A bank that operates without a chief risk officer for 8 months?

Posts: 2968 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas "Ty" Beaham:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

A bank that operates without a chief risk officer for 8 months?

She was organizing lesbian awareness day! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67023 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...884771d81b4d3e&ei=51

Is It True That 15 Banks Failed During Trump's Presidency?
Story by Izz Scott LaMagdeleine • Yesterday 3:58 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...884771d81b4d3e&ei=65

Why Trump is being called out in the Silicon Valley Bank collapse

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...884771d81b4d3e&ei=77

The 'mother of all moral hazards': economist Nouriel Roubini cheers the demise of banks with ties to the crypto industry

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...84771d81b4d3e&ei=104

Sinema Wants Accountability for Bank Mess. Hand Her a Mirror.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19775 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How stupid are you people?
2010 there were 157 bank failures, in 2011, 92.
Who was president then? Let me help, it was Obo.
This has to do with poor bank management, and nothing more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It wasn't less regulation, bad loans, shady investments or woke policies. It was treasury bills that declined in value and Dodd Frank allowed banks to report that value at maturity, not the actual current value. During the pandemic SVB had more deposits (stimulus money from both Trump and Biden) than loans. They placed the extra deposits in T-bills. As the FED raise interest rates those T bills kept getting cheaper. The Risk officer (Laura Izurieta) at SVB quit in April of 2022 and wasn't replaced until January so there possibly was a break down in internal oversite of the situation. When Cramer pumped up SVB on his show some investment advisors began nosing around SVB's financial statements and noticed the issue. They advised their clients to pull their money and that began the run.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
How stupid are you people?
2010 there were 157 bank failures, in 2011, 92.
Who was president then? Let me help, it was Obo.
This has to do with poor bank management, and nothing more.

Ah yes, during the early years of the Bush Recession, Dow Jones just under 7000 when Obama took office.
I am getting senile but remember some things better than others.

This time, "safe" Treasury securities used for collateral declined in value when the Federal Reserve doubled the current interest rates.
Oops.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont you know how the game is played on here Tom?
You blame the previous administration, unless something makes you look good, then you take credit for it. But never ever admit it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ohiosam:
It wasn't less regulation, bad loans, shady investments or woke policies. It was treasury bills that declined in value and Dodd Frank allowed banks to report that value at maturity, not the actual current value. During the pandemic SVB had more deposits (stimulus money from both Trump and Biden) than loans. They placed the extra deposits in T-bills. As the FED raise interest rates those T bills kept getting cheaper. The Risk officer (Laura Izurieta) at SVB quit in April of 2022 and wasn't replaced until January so there possibly was a break down in internal oversite of the situation. When Cramer pumped up SVB on his show some investment advisors began nosing around SVB's financial statements and noticed the issue. They advised their clients to pull their money and that began the run.

This is the best description of what happened I have read.

Question, would not regulation requiring banks to hold 2x Capital vs Debt not have prevented this? Or pick whatever capital to debt ratio you want.

Or 2x Cash assets to deposits shown as a bond against a run?

Seems to me if you are going to be in banking one would need more cash on hand then deposits. If you (bank) can match the deposits, you need to be told you cannot take x amount in deposits.

You can tell me I am wrong.

As for those who deposited over the 250k FDIC insured amount, my vote is not to bail them out. Now, I am willing to bite that bullet if someone can demonstrate to me if we don’t X really bad thing happens.

However, I would insist on banks backing deposits at 2x cash. Or no, I do not support bail out w tax dollars.

Posts: 10956 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
On a similar note, some here predicted a disaster for the stock market. Since the news broke Friday, the Dow Jones, S&P and NASDAQ are all up…… This was a regional bank catering to a niche market, not indicative of the general banking system, poorly managed to boot. coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13164 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
On a similar note, some here predicted a disaster for the stock market. Since the news broke Friday, the Dow Jones, S&P and NASDAQ are all up…… This was a regional bank catering to a niche market, not indicative of the general banking system, poorly managed to boot. coffee

Jerry, I am not a finance person at all but it seems to me we've gotten lucky so far. Many are saying a crash is brewing. Are they right? Time will tell. I certainly do not like to see rough (greedy) economic times yet I know this has occurred several times even in my life. Very detrimental.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ohiosam, maybe you have some insight to this.
If there were offers on the bank from private sources, why would the FDIC reject them? With Bidens bailout, taxpayers are on the hook aren't they? If it was privately owned taxpayers would owe nothing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Federal Reserve has a little explaining to do here too, it takes time to accommodate an interest rate change of the 2023 magnitude.
Greenspan made trouble with much smaller interest rate changes over a longer span of time, what made anyone think this was ok?
Can this be seen as a scheme for big banks to raid the assets of smaller ones?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14388 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there were offers on the bank from private sources, why would the FDIC reject them? With Bidens bailout, taxpayers are on the hook aren't they? If it was privately owned taxpayers would owe nothing.

Good question

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry I don’t. What I posted came from listening and reading a couple trusted sources who were explaining it without trying to just spin it politically.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote