THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Competitive Shooting    Hipower Service Rifle Competion Magazines - What is correct per the NRA rules
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hipower Service Rifle Competion Magazines - What is correct per the NRA rules
 Login/Join

posted
All,

I have an M1a and an AR for hipower matches. These rifles are legal for hipower service rifle matches per the NRA rules. However, I am VERY confused as to the magazine requirement.

Could someone please tell me:

• The correct M1a magazine for hipower service rifle;
  • The correct AR magazine for hipower service rifle; and
  • The logic for these magazine capacities/sizes and why they conform with the NRA rules.

The matches I participate in aren't that strict. I'd like to get the correct magazines for NRA Hipower Service rifle before they might become unavailable.

Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only mag restriction I know of is that they must conform to shape/size of what is considered "issue" for service rifle. I would stick with the 20rnd versions and no problems. For example, you aren't supposed to use a 5rnd or shortened mag in the M1A. They do not protrude down as much as the issue one and technically would be incorrect. You can use the 30rnd in the AR15 but not necessary and in prone causes problems sticking down so much.
I would dedicate one mag for slow fire/single load by installing one of those plastic single load platforms and can be used for standing and slow fire @ 600yds. Two more plus single load one and you are good to go. Must change mags so actually you can get by with only two for the M1A. Std. method is to load one with 2 other with 8 for 10rnd strings(sitting/prone/rapid.)
Several years ago Bushmaster sold 20rnd mags w/ slight curvature to them and ruled "not legal??"

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To add a little. If you are in a reduced capacity state there are magazines made to conform to 10 round limits with added extensions to make them the size and shape of issued magazines.

I think the only magazine for M1A is the 20, for the AR there has been discussion about the synthetic mags like P-mags, but they aren't allowed either. When I first started this game I picked up some of the curved 20's.

Instructor, who still makes a plastic load block? The last few I've seen are aluminum. I would like to get another plastic one.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam,
Just to show how old school I am did not realize that they were now being offered in aluminum. Sinclair I believe offers a "plastic" version but the one I saw was black in color, not that makes any difference for all of mine are yellow?? Most of my gear, sling(Leslie Tam,)
Kowa scope, Freeland stand, mat, coat, et., etc., were all purchased in early 80's and still work fine so not up on latest gear. By the way, did you ever shoot at Quantico Base??
Have a Merry Christmas

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot the last two Fleet Matches up there and hope to make it again in April. Shooting this summer was a little hard so I haven't got up there for a local match yet.

My single round is a yellow one from Champion's Choice about 98 to 00. I had an aluminum one for a year. I ended up shooting a local match with the same shooter who lost it the year before, which was the last time we shot together.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post