THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Competitive Shooting    Target handloads for a 1903 Springfield
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Target handloads for a 1903 Springfield
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering what brass, primer, powder and bullet combinations get the nod for the old Springfield these days. I used to shoot Sierra Match-King 168s and I believe, 4064, if I recall correctly. I recently scared up a Remington 1903 made in April 1942 on Rock Island tooling just before Remington started to turn to stampings, and it has the Model 1905 rear sight. I'd like to put it to work from prone. Probably need new glasses to make this work.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're on the right track. What range are you looking for? Many these days use 125 or 130 FB and mid forty something grain charges of 4064, 4895 etc for 100-200 yds, 150-175s for everything out to 600.

The light bullet loads are soft recoiling in a bolt gun compared to the heavier loads, and are very accurate.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
where would the 190gr MK Sierras come into play?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could use 190s if you want, but the trade off is more recoil and probably no noticeable performance (accuracy) increase. You are shooting a '42 bbl rifle right? In a 300 mag rig, 190s or even 220s work wonderfully, if recoil is not an issue, and range is long ( past 600yds).

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 1903 Springfields made on the old RIA machines were reall nice in 1940 but became rougher in 41' and worse in 42'. The old machines were just worn out, thus the 03A3 which worked just fine although the design, materials and workmanship were all downgraded to make more faster and cheaper.
Your Remington has a 1 in 10 twist as did the fine prewar 03 match rifles. For long range they used the famous 172 gr FA boat tail. Unless you plan to shoot past 600, there is no reason to go beyond 150 gr. 4895, Varget and 4064 are always winners. Your 42' barrel may benefit from 800 and 1200 grit fire lapping as I have found most 43' RA 03A3 barrels do. You will also benefit from enlarging the rear peep to the USMC match spec and swapping out the front sight for a Lyman 17A.
Remember to keep your right thumb to the right of the striker.
Don't do anything to it you can't undo as the Remington 03s are selling for over 1 grand now if excellent and unmolested.

Posts: 122 | Registered: 26 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to be shooting the reduced targets which simulate long range shooting but are shot at 100 & 200 yards, then the light bullets are a good choice and 4064 will work just fine. Just pick whatever load groups best at short range...you won't have to worry about trajectory and not too much about wind drift.

IF, HOWEVER, you are going to be shooting across the whole course and are experienced enough that whole days of '06 recoil doesn't bug you, I'd personally go for 190 grain or heavier Sierra BTs and whatever full charge of powder gives you the least variation of MV.

The heavier bullets will help reduce wind drift at long range, and the most consistent velocity at the muzzle will help reduce the vertical spread of your shots at 600 yards and beyond...especially beyond.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. AC, it is always most pleasing to hear from you.
One of the local military bolt matches is gongs out to 1,000. I am thinking the 168s would do fine, but almost everyone is out of the normal stock of Sierras -- and brass for that matter. So I went down to the Nosler factory store here in Bend, Oregon, and bought a box of their brass and a box of their Custom Competition 175-grain HPBTs. (You know, buy local.) While I have a lot of experience with Partitions and Ballistic Tips, this will be my first use of Nosler brass and competition bullets. Wish I had better eyes and form, to give a fairer test.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always good to hear from you Bill. Sure wish you lived here...I'd sell you 5-to-10 boxes of the Sierra 168 gr. BTM from my personal stash.

As I am too crippled these days to go back and forth to & from the post office that's not feasible right now.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My match load for 03A3 is 4895 and a 165 Sierra game King of all things.

Shoots damn fine, go figger.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
59 grains of H4831sc and a 175 Sierra Match King with a .020 jump has won all but 1 of the Vintage Sniper matches at the Eastern Games and all but 1 of the Vintage Sniper Matches at Camp Perry. My partner and I both use the same load. I shoot at Butner but not at Camp Perry so he has to pick up another shooting partner there.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff gentlemen. Thank you.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently lucked into a supply of the 155gr Palma bullets Sierra makes every so often.

If Spring ever comes, I want to see how well they will group in my OM70 Target Rifle and what sort of velocities they might give.

take care, and see you in Vegas next week...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you mentioned shooting various ranges out to 1000 yds. you could choose lighter bullets short to save the soulder a bit and switch to 190's for 600 and beyond.

Here's a couple of pet loads fired prone w/iron sighted Mod 70 target rifle, but they worked well in a couple of 03A3's as well.

First target was fired on 100 yd. reduced target and the spotter was shot @ 600 yds in NRA XTC match.

Unfortunately H450 is no longer available. H 450 burn rate is listed in an old Speer manual right between IMR and Hodgden 4831. Had pretty good results w/IMR 4350 behind the 190's as well, but don't recall the load.

Brass was LC 68 w/Fed. 210M primers.

Never used the Noslers in a match but I'd bet their 175's will perform well. Have had some excellent results w/their hunting bullets.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my 03-A3 from a local DCM shooter over 20yrs ago. Bill gave me his "secret" load of 52gr IMR 4350, Sierra 180gr Game King, CCI large rifle standard primer and a COL of 3.33inches. Bill did not give me a trim length for the brass. Its not a fast load, but it has served me well for all the target shooting I ever did with my 03. Not too bad a hunting load either.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 55.5 grains of IMR 4350 with the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. CCI magnum primer and I use Federal cases. I shoot this in a sako hunter model 75 with 4.5x14 power scope. Chronos 2800 FPS. Very accurate was well. You are still 4.5 grains from max at least in my rifle. Then there is a 300 meter load I got from the NRA many years ago 38-41 grains of IMR 4895 125 grain sierra spitzer have shot this in a smith corona 1903A3 with 17XNB front sight and a lyman 48 rear. Have fun. Frank

Posts: 175 | Registered: 16 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post