THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Competitive Shooting    Colt 1911 fiber optic front sight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt 1911 fiber optic front sight?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Colt 1911, Series 70. For IPSC I think I could pick up the front sight quicker if it was a fiber optic sight. Anyone have any experience with removing and replacing their front sight? The existing front sight is steel so I don't want to replace it with plastic, just on the grounds that it will probably get beat up inserting it into the dovetail.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm one who hates fiber optic sights ! If in the sun you get one sight picture but in the shade another picture .That's because the fiber optic glows so much in the sun you instinctively pull the sight down to see the target ! In metallic silhouette that meant two clicks at 50 yards !! Everyone who tested it found the same . Perhaps IPSC is usually done in the sun but hunting and some metallic silhouette sometimes is done under cover and of course cloudy sky will have an effect.Perhaps you could test it first with some reflective paint.

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Perhaps you could test it first with some reflective paint"
Mete, exactly! After getting no response I have decided to get some Acrylic paint (neon) and try it on the existing front sight!
I might add that this is pretty much a single purpose gun. I don't expect to use it for Bullseye. I have a skeet gun that has a fiber optic front "sight" and it works very well for me, as I see it without focusing on it.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, this is a "before" and "after" using Acrylic Neon Pink paint $0.69 per bottle at Michael's.

Haven't shot it with the new "treatment" yet, but my hopes are high!
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done several. The Pro's are EGW (also the place to get the sight). Look at their site and videos

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post