THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Competitive Shooting    Question about guns for 4H Shooting Club
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about guns for 4H Shooting Club
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Son just joined a shooting team. He will be participating in competition 22LR rifle and pistol shooting. What is the most accurate bolt action 22LR and what inch barrel. I also need to get a 22 pistol. Also what is the most accurate 22LR ammo. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. I do not know much about competition shooting.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to find out more about what sort of competition your son is signed up for and what the rules are for the firearms. There many different shooting disciplines. The coaches should be able to tell you. As to most accurate, Anchutz and Walther are the rifles and Pardini and Morini the pistol used in the Olympics, but likely far beyond what you want to spend.

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt there will be budgetary considerations. Old Remington 5-teens with peep sights are an ok choice for teaching safety and 3-position basics. Rounding up enough of them might be a challenge. CCI standard velocity ammunition, same.

There are more accurate rifles around now, lots of them, and better ammunition. Lapua and Eley make consistent but pricey ammunition, SK and Wolf are not in the same league but decent and affordable. I'd be interested to know what equipment and ammunition their competitors use.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Anschutz 54 or a 64 ( a bit cheaper) but equally accurate. I am prejudiced as I have shot the Anschutz for years + was never disappointed. I agree though that you should confer with the coaches + see what is acceptable + allowed before you spend your money.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
For pistol, it is hard to go wrong with one of the Ruger Mark IVs with bull barrel to learn basic bullseye.
For accurate and reasonably priced rifles, consider any of the CZ 457s. Some come with iron sights such as their excellent and affordable trainer model, and some are set up just for scopes. Each .22 rifle will have its ammo likes and dislikes, but the CZs usually run pretty well with SK ammunition, and the Lapua offerings in the higher price ranges.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16373 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post