THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military rifle matches
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those who have shot these matches, tell me about your rifle and load. I just found a minty Model 1895 Modelo Chileno, and hope to work up an accurate cast bullet load, add a sling and hit the prone position.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill;

In the US, the CMP hosts "Vintage Military" rifle category matches- they are 200 yard matches. You can go the cmp.org and find the rules for these "games" matches.

In NRA competition, they would fall in the "match rifle" category, and would be a difficult proposition as you would be facing space guns, tube guns, tradition BA match rifles etc all with modern aperture sights in venues ranging from reduced course 100 yd to full course 2, 3 and 600 yard events.

In NRA and CMP "service rifle" comp, only US M1, M14/M1A and M16 variant rifles are allowed.

US Krags, 1903 series, P14s etc are all "vintage" category guns.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks HPmaster. I need to see if there are any of those CMP Vintage Military matches in my neck of the woods. Be a lot of fun.

Found this match description:
http://thecmp.org/competitions...ilitary-rifle-match/
And a match report:
http://thecmp.org/aussieker-ea...s-overtakes-carbine/

– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at investing in a Turner National Match sling.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Not sure if you can use any sling in the vintage class, but may be limited to the issue sling.... for informal stuff it would be great. CMP website has the details you'd need for competition

I don't shoot vintage but some rules are quite specific. Turner Slings are great- I use a biothane for NM shooting on my AR15A4, and an older Les Tam leather on my NM M1

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the U.S. 1907 sling is permitted:
3.6.6 As-Issued Foreign
Military Rifle Slings
As-issued foreign military rifles (Rule 4.2.5) may be equipped with a sling that
was originally used with this type of ri
fle or, alternatively, a leather or web
sling that complies with this rule (Rule 3.6) may be attached and used with
as-issued foreign military rifles.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ordered the 1907 Service Sling from Ron Brown in Georgia.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Our military matches in LV are different than CMP matches. We shoot steel from 200 yds. to 900 meters. The fun of this match is you are either shooting, scoring, spotting, or getting ready to shoot. The rules are simple, you can't do anything to your rifle a field armorer couldn't do. The string of fire are 10 rounds with 5-6 stations fired from at least 3 of the 4 positions. One stage is timed where you have to shoot a vintage WWII or earlier pistol, than transition to your rifle, again WWII or older. It takes about 3 hours to shoot a match with 30-40 shooters. As for targets we use bulldozer blade cut in rectangular shape for 10X10 inch to 18X24 out to 400 yards. The long range targets increase to 46" at 900 meters. It's a fun match quick match and it's great to see these old rifles coming back to life.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 1983, the Texas State Rifle Assn. sponsored a commemorative match in honor of the 80th anniversary of the adaptation of the 1903 Springfield in conjunction with the state Service Rifle Match. Only unaltered 1903 or 1903A3's were allowed in the commemorative match.

Having just acquired a new (to me) 1903A3, the temptation was sufficient to draw me back into competition. I last shot on an Army AMU in 62 and the thought of seeing that many old '03's on the line at one time was more than I could resist.

I entered both the service rifle and commemorative matches before realizing that I would need over 200 rounds of match ammo if I were to shoot all events (2 NM, 1 Regional + the 03 match) plus 20-30 rounds extra for any possible alibi strings. Since Uncle Sam was no longer supplying my ammo, the search began to locate enough brass of same headstamp to load that much ammo.

Thanks to the match director, Ike Lee (RIP, Ike) who provided me with his favorite 30-06 match load of 47 gr. 4895 behind 168 gr. SMK's (pretty well duplicates M72 GI match ammo).

The course of fire was 20 rounds w/unlimited sighters at 600 yards with 22 minute time limit. Unlimited sighters since few shooters had a 600 yd zero on their 03's. Pretty well held my own, in spite of the 21 year hiatus from competitive shooting.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post