THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Congrats to Vincent Hancock, Gold in Skeet!!!!!

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biathlon Scheduled events
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Televised schedule of Biathlon events.

Olympic Biathlon Schedule!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Womens 7.5k Sprint
Lets hear it for Susan Dunklee from Vermont!!!
Susan Dunklee was the closest American, finishing 14th in this event. She finished with a total time of 21 minutes and 48.3 seconds, 41.5 seconds behind Kuzmina. She incurred one penalty and was 0+1 shooting.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been watching these events. It seems to me that the shooting part is no where near as important as the skiing part. A penalty of one shot equates to about 20 seconds (according to the commentators). Most competitors seem to take their time getting the rifle unlimbered and getting ready to shoot. Anyone compete and con confirm or deny my comment?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been watching a bit of the winter Olympics too including the Biathelon.

After the exertion of skiing, I'd say the shooting would be a challenge as well, but agree it has become mostly a skiing event. From what I've read, in years past they shot 30-06 rifles and most likely didn't have fancy sights like those now. A 30-06 would make it a bit more of a challenge if with iron sites.

I'd like to learn more about their rifles. They have peculiar rifles of .22LR caliber. I did a bit of research on their rifles and the event but couldn't find many details on the rifles. They have sites like I've never seen before. Some variation of a bolt action. Weight is a minimum of 7.5 lbs. All shots are at 50 yards (or meters if metric). Prown are at 1.5 inch targets, standing 4.5 inch.

As a side note, my wife likes watch the figure skating. I like looking at the female figure skater's pretty legs and derrières. Figure skating seems to be good for lower appendages.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
deltam, just google "biathlon rifles". I have an Izhmash in 22 mag, with that toggle action. It is VERY fast and almost effortless. It is not a biathlon rifle but is very accurate. I posted some (50 yard) targets some time back. It opens up at 100 yards however, mainly due to the ammo I believe. My Izhmash was imported by EAA (European American Arms). They also make it in 22lr. The rifles are specialized, but no more so than a target rifle. before the new metal stocks, they were wooden. You can imagine what happened when a skier fell on his rifle!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post