THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BULLETMAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Bullet Making    Re: C-H Bullet Swaging Gear for sale 44 and 45 caliber

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: C-H Bullet Swaging Gear for sale 44 and 45 caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I use a Series II press, but it has a reloading adapter, so I figured I could use it with the C-H Dies. I also have an old Lyman Spartan press that I'd like to try swaging on - just to see if I can.

I'm unfamiliar with the terms "single-stage" and "multi-stage", but the dies I'm using now are "S" dies, made by Dave Corbin (although I have a set on order from Richard).

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I use a Series II press, but it has a reloading adapter, so I figured I could use it with the C-H Dies. I also have an old Lyman Spartan press that I'd like to try swaging on - just to see if I can.

I'm unfamiliar with the terms "single-stage" and "multi-stage", but the dies I'm using now are "S" dies, made by Dave Corbin (although I have a set on order from Richard).

================================================
Single stage bullet made in one stroke
Duo Stage bullet made in two die or two stroke's

What Diam are you picking up from Rich ....

Mult stage swage die's are like the S die set's you already have 3 die's or 4 or even 5 die's to make one bullet
The extar die's would be for Boattailing and making the nose/Point/ longer or making a deaper hollow point.

Rick i think you just forgot ....
Bet right now your going smack.! i knew that.!!

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy:

I suspected that was the answer, but rather than reply from ignorance (and look dumb in the process ) I thought I'd better ask.

Richard is making the .312 set we discussed last week for me. He is willing to make dies for the Series II even though his own Walnut Hill system is clearly superior.

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Pottsy:

I suspected that was the answer, but rather than reply from ignorance (and look dumb in the process ) I thought I'd better ask.

Richard is making the .312 set we discussed last week for me. He is willing to make dies for the Series II even though his own Walnut Hill system is clearly superior.

Rick

What's the plained wall thickness going to be ?

I am PM'ing you somthing now..Sent........

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard has these in stock now ...

.323 Three Die Set Core form, core seat and point form dies. 3.5S ogive. Designed for lighter weight bullets in 8mm caliber. A J4 .308 .925" long jacket makes a 150 grain open tip, flat base bullet. Heavier bullets can be made as well by using longer jackets. $325.00
Type S Dies These dies have a 1.0" body with a 5/8"-24 thread

Richard does a convertion on the diffrent die set so that fit and work in the wallnut hills press..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy:

I'm having punches made for both .020 and .030 jackets. One of my P14's has been "magnumized" as have been many others up here in the Great White North, so I feel that its advisable to make bullets for both the standard .303 British chamberings, and the magnums (and .303 Epps) as well.

I understand that the J4 jacket is primarily designed for target shooting, and I don't frighten those little pieces of paper one bit.

The .323 set might interest me however. By looking at that 3.5 calibre ogive, my assumption would be that its designed for making heavy bullets rather than light ones, but I guess that you would use these dies to make little short ones, where I'm thinking in terms of something with a long shank and minimal tip to maximize the weight in a shorter jacket length. Does this set cost $325 as well, or is it a different price?

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know what you're saying about lead. I finally arranged for Canada Metal to supply me. They ship to Ottawa by rail, and I drive into the city and pick it up at their freight forwarder's.

I didn't realize Richard had updated his web site. The used page has been the same for so long I quit looking in there. Once I'm off this site, I'll go over and have a look.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick..

Richard's Web site page for his suply's in stock had not changed.In about 1 year i bought off it about 5 diffrent swage dies some one from germany bought 4 other's and a diffrent person from some place elsebought the rest so
was.! really nothing for sale on the page so ever day i would pick up the phone and call Richard and ask to buy one of the item's still listed on the page he would say ..Sorry but there all sold out and then go...? is this Martin..
LOL yepper's .. he would then say i really need to up date the page i keep at it ever day for one month......
He finlly changed it ...Soo the next time i called i sucked my sell into buying 4 more set's of swage die's form Richard
I had been over to see Rich at the house about a month and a half ago ..Where i toke over some of the thing's that
Ted Smith had made for me ..The powder dribbler ...
The IMR Powder despencer.The old core moulder's and Core cutter's .The few swage die's ted Made me
And the first Swage press made in the early 40's cut from steel not.! moulded or casted .It's kinda bent i used really hard lead in it long ago and bent it up good
i would take it out to the shop and pound on it till it
would work then swage more bullet's on it till it was bent
then etc etc...

As for Lead i have tryed for year's to getlead wire shipped or have some one stock it on hand but the price's and the usage of it here were limmited to just a few people that keep the price's so high no one stocked it it was cheeper to buy Pumber's wool or wool lead and work with it
Now you can't even find Lead wool i guess it went the way of the oakem and cast plumbing...Richard will have more
to add soon the trouble is that all to often some one
will order a set and then back out or change the Point forming die . So it's easyer to just make another core former and core seter and sell it as a set then chuck the one point former in the trash. i have gotten a few die's
That arn't listed in the:> suppy's on hand or in stock: by just calling and asking ...How are you doing on jacket's for your diffrent die set's i am down to about
.510 8 > 1.350 7 > 1.200 9 > 1.590 ..
.458 240 > .700 3 > 1.350 7 > 1.000 ...
And none left in the .375 or .366 or .410 or the .416 or the .357 ..I am just plain out of jacket's.. i went back to trying to make run's from copper tubing and that was a big mistake...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy:

I have a fair number of the three jacket lengths I have on hand. I can make .35's in 160 grain, 220 grain and 290 grain. I've ordered some more jackets from Butch so I can develop 180's, 200's, 245's and 270's (I think). Like you I hate making tubing jackets, so I'm leaning heavily on Butch to supply me enough jackets.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like Butch is going to have his hand's full forthe next Year.!!! atleast with order's

I need a ton of jacket's but i thought ?? if i order in large lot's then ever one else is going to have to wait for mine to get done so i am only going to put order's in in lots of 500 at a time unless he say's he can make enough to go around with out boging thing's down for other's

Right now i need about 1000 jacket's in 3 diffrent size for each diam/ .366 .375 .416 .458 .510
If i order all at once butch will be sitting on my order for a month atleast that mean's No one will be getting jacket's... i think having him make a few for everone will be a better deal all around .....
I think that's why Butch went though hell to get all the new tooling so he could.!! put out more jacket's pre month

I just ran the last of my .458 jacket's out in 600 grain bullet's

D A N G--- you could use a wrist rocket ( sling shot )
And kill with these thing's ...

Have you settled on a size yet for your .358
I stopped at 250 grain 0.0300 walls...

And Richard is sending my orders one part at a time becouse i called him a Farm Boy
So ever day i get the mail i get one part...top punch..
Next day bottom punch next day the die next day the core punch etc etc.. It's not my fault he likes to play with his zillion year old tractor........
It's like watching the old TV show Green Acer's......
Any way what the biggest round you have run through the rifle so far ? can you get a bullet larger then 320 or 350
not that it would be Zinging out there ..
It's kinda why i did a run of 600 grain .458's ...
nothing like seating a bullet next to the primer and hopping the 3 grain's of powder will send it down the barrel

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'll ever settle on one bullet weight for my .35's. I'll probably go with 180's or 200's for my .35 Remington, 200's or 220's for my .358 Winny, 220's or 245's for my Whelen, and 245's or 270's for my .358 Norma. It's also still in the back of my mind to sell a few bullets, so a broad range of weights is a benefit.

I rolled out a couple of 265's a while back and shot them out of my Norma, but the 290's are about as big as I can get on the Series II press with my design (I made a couple of 300 gr soft points for interests sake).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent you another email ...Again.
i Know that we can get that press to you cheaper some how.!
And a swage die set as well..There is no way you should have to pay more then 200.00 for the press plus shipping
of about 12 Doller's and a swage die set for 345.00 plus shipping of 8.00 doller's..
There are alot of people that swage around the country
i beat Richard could get it close enough to The border
so you could drive down and pick it up ...

If you don't have a cutter for wire lead you can make one your self it's really easy to do ....And just as good as the one's you buy.. and a core moulder is just as easy to build all that's needed is a drill press... Drill bit's ...
A few bolt's .. some washer's ..some round stock steel..and a tap and die set..And your there. you have to remmber that all these tools were first built crudly by hand first then,, fine tuned.. to start with hell most of the stuff i got from Ted Smith was crudly put together but it worked
That's just the way it was .....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy:

I have one of Dave's wire cutters. I'm not really happy with the adjustments on it though. Some day I might want to look at a core mould, but right now I'm just trying to find a local source of small quantities of .365 wire. I use it in my wire drawing die for making wire for my .14 calibre cores (for my tips).

I'm about 3,000 miles from you and Richard, so I think postal shipment is the only real option. I'll just have to do a little "reorganizing", and then I'll take a serious look at that press.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sound's good ....