New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: who swages?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How much does it cost to get set up for swaging bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifleman:

It depends a lot on what you want to do. From your handle, I'd guess you'd want to make rifle bullets rather than pistol bullets, so you'll likely need a true swaging press rather than adapt a reloading press (unless your into .243's and under).

Along with a press and die set, youll probably need a core cutter, caliper, lube and possibly core bond. If jackets are unavailable in the length you need for the bullet weights you want to produce, you'll probably need a trimmer of some kind.

I'd guess you could get into a single calibre with one tip shape for under $1,500 US (RCE may be a little cheaper). The more bells and whistles you add, and the more calibres you produce, the greater the cost.

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started swaging jacketed bullets about 2 years ago. Right now I'm making them in .308 and .375". My idea was to make bullets like the old Western Open Point Expanding and improving the design with a bonded core. I just got back from Namibia and took 6 animals with a 220 grain .30 cal bonded core open point design. The performance was good, all 6 with one shot apiece.

I think there is a lot of room for creating good bullets that aren't available from the bigger firms. I just started playing around with a double jacket bullet for the .375" that weighs 300 grains, has an open point and bonded core. I hope to try them in Namibia next year.

Bullet swaging is probably the ultimate level in handloading.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
over 20 years

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I used to swage 44 caliber bullets for my black powder inline rifle. I used a pure lead cast core and a gas check made some darn accurate bullets to use with a sabot. I got away from it because I was deforming the nose with the ram rod and I would get the occasional flyer. I never thought of using wheel weight lead I thought it was to hard. Sounds like more experimentation to me. BTW I use a Corbin press and dies.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have swaged a few

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you want to try the .375 swage die set in your's

i really won't be using it much i am waiting for my .366

die's to show up ..If i keep bugging him maybe he won't forget to make them ya know hes really old ..

And forget's thing's but since his the one that does the best work i guess i will have to stick with the old gezzer.

I think butch left i did not get a chance to call the

Old Gezzer today

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't ya just the old Gezzer's ad

.338 Three Die Set Flat base, open tip bullet with a VLD ogive. The ogive is a 15S with a .020" offset. With optional rebated boattail dies and heavy bullets this should be a real performer at extended ranges. Assuming the shooter is man enough to handle the recoil-no weenies need apply! $345.00

Ya gotta love Rich .... For a guy 5'6 and older then dirt

Was thing about them but decided that the VLD's were just to long a point