New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Follow-up on reducing .358 to .354
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I came across one of those in a pawn shop, but unfortunately the action had been filled with carelessly drilled and tapped holes for a scope mount, and the stock had been cracked and repaired. That would have been tollerable, but the price they were asking seemed more in line for a gun in mint condition. Still, it did have brass and dies and some componet bullets.

I personally would consider your bullets good enough in the dia department. I wouldn't use partions to size down though, as it is tough to get the partition to size down, and partitions run higher pressures than cup/core bullets. The hornady 250 gr rn would be my choice to size down.

Now you're making me regret passing up that rifle

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As for re: sizing the jacket's
yik's guy i resize then partion trying to resize a partion bullet is like pull teeth out of a brown bear's butt

My partion's have a small leek hole in the middle of them so the front and back part's of the core's bond together

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Finally got to try things out.
First, resizing is a chore. Two passes, lots of lube and lots of pressure on the press. Did I mention that it was a real chore. Your description of the resizing process is certainly more technical then mine but I fully agree. I will have to learn to be frugle with the ammo.
The Noslers seem to shoot well. The 225's are coming out at about 2050FPS. Shot a 2.5 group at 100 yds which is about the norm for me with large aperture receiver sights. Would be interesting to see what it would do with a scope but no plans for that option. No pressure signs but plenty of recoil with a light rifle. I think I'm there for a hunting load.
Thanks again.

Posts: 24 | Location: alaska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dian

Just a side note:

Did you ever take the time and look at the jacket's made by Nosler .
Take a nosler and somthing simaler first look at the
Closely there a deeper Copper color then the rest
Next take a close look at how there tip's /nose/point's all seem to be evenly done ...Sorry guy it just a bit of bullet envey there jacket's are made with an additive add in
i just would like to know what that is is all.

Dam.! dian if your getting a 2.5 group with open site's
then (1) you never have ever had to were glass's
( 2 ) your under 30 ..

I am lucky to hit the target back board at 100 yard's
with out a freaking scope..

Alot of time's i kinda go a bit over board on the explanation of how to do thing's .
It's only becouse i have been told by other's that i don't explane it enough or my explantion's are inaccurate..

I only wish you guy's and gal's lived next door .
it;s far easyer to show you how it's done then trying to explane it .

Anyway dian glad to hear it's working out for you ..

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote