New
Find
Notify
Tools

Point forming die set's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Question: How many diffrent point forming die's do you have per Bullet Diam...

If you have a .308 Diam die set do you have two point former's or more . do you have 4 point forming die's per set or more ?

Or do have you just added a hollow pointer to the set ...

Aside from that do you have one or more core seat punch's per Swage die set for diffrent jacket wall thickness

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got two point form dies for the .308"diameter:6S and 8S, and a 6S for the .375". I have a 1/2S set on order, from Richard, for each of them.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've got two point form dies for the .308"diameter:6S and 8S, and a 6S for the .375". I have a 1/2S set on order, from Richard, for each of them.

I see you waited till you got to your Arbeitsstelle
Before you posted.!! ....I am die poor i need more point former's ..What i need is for butch old boy to start putting out jacket's again.
I was suppost to be getting all my stuff ...Another press
two more die set's another set of top punch's ect ..
So guess what Rich decided to send them one thing at a time
Not all at once ...I was going to call him a ....
bl�der Hund ..But i now i think i wont OoPESS To late...
When i called he told me he thought it would be more like christmas ever day at the mail box ..if he sent them to me like that great i need to send my bill's to him the same way one doller day for the next ?? 7000.00 year's....
I should just make him live that long..!1
I need another couple of .375 point formers myself
and a few .510' also and i still dont have the other 2 point formers for the .458..All i have is that 10% deg one
i also really need a new point former for the .308 its a
VLD and way to little bearing for my taste ...

I drew some .375 out of the copper man i hate doing it this way it's cheap and not marketable..i will be done it for the .366 for my 9.3x64 ...
Anyway big ( J ) be well

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have one point former for my .35's. Its a 4 calibre. I figured with my Series II press I'm limited to forming at about 1.3", so if I went with a 4 calibre ogive, I'd be able to make heavier bullets than I could with a 6.

The set of .312's I have on order has a 6 calibre ogive, but I'm hoping to be able to make bullets between 130 and 220 grains. If I can't, I may have to order a blunter point former.

I am planning to make bullets with two different jacket thicknesses, so its likely Richard will have to make me two core seating punches (I hope one core former will do for both .020 and .030 jackets).

Rick

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just send richy aka farm boy the jacket's you need punchs for ..He sent me blank's becouse i can cut them myself
My old lathe is on it's last leg though and bounce's
0.0500 now its just worn out and there nothing i can do short of welding plate to the tail stock and redoing the bed
it was used when i got it ..In 1968 it was about 35 year's old.then.!

I don't understand ? why is it you can't do diffrent bullet type's and size's?

Richard has a few of the old wallnut hills press's still
for 200.00 i just got my sec today in fact
theres no diffrent's between the new one and the old one except you can do reloading on the old one is all other
then that there the same press... i do ever thing now on it
from boattail hollow point's in .458 to plinker's in .308
And weight's from 90 grain to way.!! over 600 grain
i could do 1200 grain bullet's in .510 all day....Using
soft lead and thin jacket's 0.0300...

If you told richard what you wanted then that's what you will get... if you want to do 100 grain bullet's
in your die set then that's what it will do ..And more
my swage set for .458 make's a perfict 400 grain bullet
If i make it 250 grain i need to finish up the nose/point a bit..The die set will also go all the way past 900 grain .. i know becouse i swage a chuck of lead that size out of it

No jacket of course .... so the set makes bullet from about 200 grain to 500 and beyound nicely....

Your's will do the same if you set the weight for 100 grain's in a set diam then you should be able to go atleast
300 grains higher depending on the point design./nose shape
Og/

one of us
posted Hide Post
My limit is that of the Series II press. I can only swage bullets with a jacket length of 1.3" (plus tip). Considering a minimum shank length of 1 calibre, it seems the limits of my press and die set for .35's with my tip design are about 160 grains to 290 grains. With this range, I can't conventionally swage the cores for my 160 grain bullets - the punch covers the bleed holes before the core is light enough - I have to leave a small core in the die to keep the holes open.

My concern with the .312 dies was that the top or bottom limits of my bullet weights were not in the ranges I hoped to make using my tip design. That is part of the reason I'm planning to try .020 jackets in addition to the .030's I was hoping to use exclusively.

If I were using a Walnut Hill Press and dies for it, I would expect that I'd be able to make longer (and therefore heavier) bullets.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just dropped Richard an email will post somthing when he emails me back .....