Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know what you mean i ordered the baby vertion -----
my self it's the MultiSwage -Richard's lowest cost
Hydraulic press . The need for good bullet's in .366
and .423 and .510 of diffrent design's has been a real
Problem atleast for me anyway that was the mian reason
for the diffrent die set's so i could make a good bullet rather then have to settle for what there was on hand
for my 9.3x64 ..404 Jeffery ...and the 50-110 was for some one that wanted a wider selection to chose from the rest of the die set i have were for other rifle's and other people that wanted a better bullet to shoot .
And the price of bullet is off the chart's .. there's no way in .Hell.. i am paying someone 3 or 4 buck just so i can shoot a 600 grain slug out of a 458 or 45/70 or be stuck having to watch friend's of mine having to do the same

the 7.62x39 case's work well if you fill them with bird shot
and swage them out to .458
But i also understand your not wanting to spend like i do and most ever one else does the 14 cent's per jacket
on .458 1.540 lenght jacket's but i am one the the one's that's kinda stuck having to pay the pipper so to speak.

I still use Zinc washer's for my pistol bullet's
as a gas check .While i respect what Richard Corbin And even some of what Darth Dave Corbin has to say . I have been swaging bullet's 11 year's before thay ever got into the trade. and it works for me ..
I just need to head back over to Phoenix and hog tie Richy to the ground till he call's Uncle....
Even if it mean i have to cut farm boy's lawn with his own tractor

Cost never factor's into it
It's real hard to put a price tag of being able to go out door's and hunt and have fun even if it is with Farm boy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that somthiong on the order of a 300 Win or 7 MM rem case
What do you use those in ?
My thought's were to give the guy's with the 50/70 through 50-110 somthing to shoot.
those look like 50 Browning bullet's
But i have to admit thay look dam good..
I really have to say those are about the nice's case /bullet's i have seen.
There is one thing though the one's i have done up all seem to have pushed the base's up into the caseso there's no
extraction grove at the base there just smooth.
It doesen't mean any thing it's just an obsevation .
I wish there was a place i could post picture's on the net so i could transfer them here and i wish my photo's were clearer could i email you some or have i done that
already? Sorry i forgot

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of .510 cal bullets, while I had posted this before I guess I will relate again how well belted magnum brass works for this. The photo shows .50 Browning shot filled bullets. A reloading press die was used, purchased from Richard Near who is in Canada so I do not know if he still makes the die with the new weirdo Canadian laws. In addition to shot filled, folks have filled these with cast lead, just hold under the lead pot spout and fill (pliers or leather gloves please) and a swab of rosin first gives bonded core bullets too. Some more adventuresome folks (name with held to protect the 'scientifically inclined') have filled them with other 'stuff'. Cement was thought to give enough resistance to bullet collapse in the bore yet yield high velocities, but diminishing returns are reached when the powder charge weight exceeds bullet weight! Five gallon water jugs sure vaporized fast!

Posts: 138 | Location: Hubbell, Michigan, USA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a lever and was going to go 50 cal but ever gunsmith keep telling me so i bought that SS browning in 300
Win mag and am having it turned into a 458 .At this time i am so poor i should be out selling pencil's on the street courner and my blood .

I am having to much fun this year i think

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add to the previous post, I shoot these shot filled bullets, formed from belted brass, in a .50 BMG rifle. I have competed in Fifty Caliber Shooting Association matches, of which I am a member and I highly recommend membership in this organization, but use these shot filled bullets for fun shooting at 5 gallon jugs filled with water. A local restaurant gets cooking oil in these jugs and they are just trash to them. I make good use of those I get from them! They explode like a gallon milk jug shot with a varmint bullet, but 5 gallons is a big blast.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hubbell, Michigan, USA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Walnut Hill (one of the older ones) and one of the RCE hydro presses (the simple one, not the fancy one). Years ago I purchased reloading press dies from Corbin, the catalog with Ted Smith on the cover 197?, to make the .22 cal bullets from rimfire cases. Much later on I wanted to swage for .470 Nitro Express and Richard at RCE had good reasoning for his dies to be better so I purchased the Walnut Hill press and have been happy with it. The hydro press seemed like a better way to draw copper tubing jackets and shear rims and such as well as another use I had for it.
I have not ordered from Butch as I am on a 'spent cartridge case for bullet jackets' kick right now. Looking at the price of premium bullets, Swift or North Fork or Woodleigh or etc. - let alone those grand slam ones at near $5 each, I thought there must be a better alternative for just blasting at milk jugs. I would use North Forks or others for a hunt of a life time trip, but prefer to practice a bit more frugally. Yes I know that dies cost money too, but I don't let those facts interfere with my rationalization of a fun hobby! :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used .300 and .338 Win Mag, though mostly what I find discarded on the range is 7mm Rem mag. Any belted case based on the .375 H&H, from what? 6.5 mm? to .458 would work. Since these bullets are formed with a reloading press die it is like forming wild cat brass. Trim the case to length or form full length then trim off the neck. I have done it both ways, using the Lyman drill press trimmer. It is easier to trim to length first but the necked down bullet shaped case looks cooler to trade to folks for their cartridge collection. Either way, then form with the die, which is different than bullet swaging in that the brass is swaged down with the die from the outside then withdrawn with the shell holder, as opposed to expanding the case, with a punch inside forcing the lead against the die walls. I then fill the die with lead shot, having made a brass tube of the appropriate length to consistently measure the number of pellets, then seal the mouth with hot melt glue. I use a small lathe Taig Tools to trim off the belts but a shear die works also. Honestly, for 50-70 I would not use these as my rifle is a trapdoor Springfield and I would shoot cast soft bullets in it, as it will nor take smokeless pressures. A rolling block may be different in that regard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Copper Country> What kind of press do you use mostly
Or should i say what kind of press do you own
Richard's or Darth Dave's or another brand ?
I first used my reloading press then moved up to the one ted made years ago .. it had no name tell the Corbin's
started calling it the Mity Mite then i bought one of Richard's press's then another old but older then the multi
swage. and am looking at picking up two older CHP 1's
for making jacket's with from strip copper .

I was going to like you say use 303 british brass but after looking at the brass decided not to ..
I hate to say this but Ebay has alot of brass on it if a person ever wanted to use brass case's for jacket's

Ya Rich is a great guy i spent the day again over at Richard's he still owe's me a ride on his tractor .
Like i said before Butch was over at richard's for a week picking up a press and some other odd's and end's
So he could up the production rate on his jacket making .
( Question ) How many guy's here have order's in to butch here.
And how big are your normal order's...
As for me . A very small amount

.366 Diam jacket lenght 1.00 wall size 0.040 0.030.
.458 Diam jacket lenght 1.540 -- 1.450---1.250-- 1.000
wall size's 0.040 0.030
.375 Diam jacket lenght 1.200 ---1.000 wall thickness 0.040
.308 Diam jacket lenght 1.000 wall thickness 0.030
.510 Diam jacket lenght 1.540 --- 1.500 ---1.4500 ---1.300
Wall thick ness 0.030 0.0400
1000 of each....

I bet i am low man here Becouse for the rest of the jacket's i need i just draw them from what i carry in stock

Like the 403 diam/'s and the 416's amd the .423's
are all redraw's from the .375's or .458's

Anyway Copper Country look's like you have the jump on me on the 404 bullet's and there not to darn shabby looking