Tools

Re: tungsten?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

help me out here ?
is that a solid core of carbid or lead
did you swage it or ?
And about not selling solid tungston bullet's ?
geee after 40 year's of making bullet's did i miss somthing?

Now solid carbid bullet's are kinda a no no
Thay will poke a hole in most anything but than again so will building a bullet from depleted uranium casings
But since i don't want to sit at the lathe in a space suit.
and since i can't nor would i want to get my hand's on
depleted uranium casings. you will have to stick using soild tungston bullet's or solid copper bullet's
And ever preson that sell's bullet's to the public must.! have a lic/
Don't get me wrong i am not coming down on you i am just kinda confused ?

Pottsy
PS Nice bullet's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
It's morning somewhere

Just a spot of lead in the tip of this projectile other than that it's just a copper jacket.

L. 1.092"

D. 0.244"

W. 81.7gr.

It sounds light compared to what's been said here but it's as hard as a file and I have pulled them undamaged from hard armor plate after impacting at about 3000fps. It must be an alloy of some form or function.

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I've got 1000 166 gr. .308 cal bullets that are Mil surplus 30-06 AP rounds with the tungsten penetrator. Solid core, copper jacket. You HAVE to have a letter from the BATF to manufacture, posess or use these for test and eval purposes.

You can get them REAL cheap.

So you know

I'll post a pic in the morning

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hay Collins Cool Cool i was just saying that .
I understand your testing bullet's not selling bullet's and i take it there for testing on the product you make.
Any tom dick or harry can buy Tungston bullet's for reloading into the shell casing's it's the Class of
Armor Piercing Bullet that fall into a diffrent catagory like solid carbid bullet's
Soild carbin's in a /06 like your's shown will poke a hole all the way through 1 inch plate in fact i have shot
.358 diam 250 grain soild carbid's through 1 inch plate
using a 35-378 thay would have gone through far more had i had it .
Is this test your running for the glass you make ?
or bullet proffing ?

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
This is the solid core of the Mil-Spec 30-06 Armor Piercing Bullet. I was told it was tungsten but the weight looks too light to be pure "W"

This is an army surplus item available for about $0.50 each

I am NOT selling them, I'm waiting for a letter from the BATF so I can use them to test and evaluate armour to NIJ-IV.

The regs for armor piercing bullets are:
CFR Title 27 Volume 2 chapter 2 part 478.149 Of course it's not very clear.