Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Follow-up on reducing .358 to .354
 Login/Join

posted
Contacted CH and got a .354 bullet reducing die.
My micrometer reads the .358 bullets between .3580 and .3582.
Lubing and runnig the bullets through the reducing die leaves me with a bullet that I mic at between .3552 and .3554. I carefully machined a gauge to check the diameter of the die and .355 will not pass. To actually get a finished bullet at .354 do I need to have a smaller die to deal with the jacket springing back?
Thoughts, comments.
Thanks

Posts: 24 | Location: alaska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Contacted CH and got a .354 bullet reducing die.
My micrometer reads the .358 bullets between .3580 and .3582.
Lubing and runnig the bullets through the reducing die leaves me with a bullet that I mic at between .3552 and .3554. I carefully machined a gauge to check the diameter of the die and .355 will not pass. To actually get a finished bullet at .354 do I need to have a smaller die to deal with the jacket springing back?
Thoughts, comments.
Thanks

-----------------
Boy you opened up a can or worm's to put it mildly...
Not all bullet have the same Jacket Wall thickness
there for it does.! effect the amount of Elasticity
or spring in the jacket your bullet that your trying to resize ..Some bullet makes use a slite diffrent mix ratio
of copper in there jacket's .....the list is endless
if your only trying to work with one campony's bullet's
then yes get a small size die...
It might seem cheaper to just resize the bullet's that are
Available Some time's it is some time's it's not.

I need to ask you ..What cal/is your rifle i am at a lose here to understand what cartridge is .354 ? The close's i come up with is a lead moulded 9 MM and that's .355
Is this and URO Metric cartridge.It would help me out alot if i knew...BTW this is not Black Powder is it ..

At the rate your going buying all the diffrent thing's you might have been better off just buying a set of swage die's and a press

200.00- Press ( Wallnut Hill's /older vertion)
3 die set -340.00 -- WNH REC.Co
That way you get the Diam you need ....
This is how it work's.............>
Buy the press..Older vertion of wallnut hills (same as the new vertion but does not reload shell just swage's)
Buy the right size/Diam die's from Richard corbin RCE.Co
Buy a used 10/10 RCBS set of scale's off Ebay
Order jacket's from butch at GE ..
Buy lead wire to match closely the diam of your core swage die..Ask richard he can help..
Buy some lube for the die's
Buy a core cutter ...
Now if you do ever thing right ... the start up cost is about
200.00--Press===Wallnut Hill's./Older vertion-Can be upgraded later on
345.00---Swage Die's forthe wallnut hill's Press..When ordering make sure you tell Richard you want to make bullet's from 90 grain's up that way you get to make bullet's from 90 grain to about 350 grain in one set of die's
75.00--Used 10/10 RCBS Scale's watch out for metric scale's
buy only RCBS 10/10 NEW OR USED
45.00---Will get you 500 jacket's from butch he may even charge less for the diam
22.50-- Lead Wire one spool ...I use .256 Daim wire for .308
diam bullet becouse of the core forming die size
45.00-- Lead wire cutter...RCE.Co it's a cheap fast way to cut wire to lenght....
Now that you have spent a small fortune ..Remmber that from now on it will be just the lead wire and jacket's
22.50 45.00 .. one roll of wire weigh's 25 LB.'s>
Or you can use linemen's side cutter's and come close to cutting the lead wire to the right lenght...
AND
if your bullet over all weight is under 300 grain's most any set of scales will work so that mean's you can take off the cost of the scales and cutter
Your looking at about 700.00 yes it's a lot of money just to get the right bullet Daim and yes there are cheaper way's to go .......It's hard to find a middle ground

Write Richard corbin ... richard@rceco.com
Tell him just what you want and make sureto tell him
everthing even if it sound foolish to do so ...

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer, caliber 9x56. The slugged bore is .354, actually most measurements put it at about .3538. Apparently, one of the difficulties with the 9x56 MS is that the bores differ. One of the old reloading books indicates using .356 jacketed and .359 lead bullets. In an old article I found in "Handloader" magazine the author won't even discuss the actual load he used when working up loads for his 9x56 partly because of the inconsistantly of bore diameter.
I have been shooting a Saaco .358 246gn GC bullet sized to .355 using a Lyman luber/sizer. With no pressure signs and virtually no leading I have been getting about 1980 FPS average. I have also been shooting some 250gn Hawk .353 bullets.
My attempt is to resize some 200gn Hornady Spire Points for casual shooting and some 225gn Nosler bullets for hunting. I have had good success with the 225gn Noslers with my .35 Whelen on game.
My thought is to stay with resizing available bullets, so maybe the best approach is to move down to .353 or .352 and see what happens.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dian

I now understand completly. Yes get another resize and move down to a smaller diam

Have you thought about having the barrel rebored
It just seem's like you between a rock and a hard place
And ya i know thay don't give Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle's away.

i hate to say this but have you thought about fixing the rifle by having the barrel rebored .it will not take away
from the value of the rifle in any way ..The trouble is that it could take a year to get it back..
Anyway guy good luck

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I actually thought about having the rifle rebored but only for a moment. Would probably have to go up to .366/9.3mm--not sure that it is possible to only go to .358 (only .004). Also would have to deal with the rotor in the magazine. It has a good bore and shoots quite well with the lead GC bullets.
Anyway, now that I had the chance to look at the bullet resizer die I spent the afternoon making up another. The true diameter is about .3527 and it turns out .354 with the Hornady bullets and interestingly .3538 at the base of the Nosler and .3542 around the middle of the bullet where the horizontal portion of the "H" is.
Thanks for all the input and information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any time : dian :

I just don't know if anything i said did any good

But if it work's it work's

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought, will C&H make you a bumping die? You could start with 200gr Hornady .349 (for .348 Winchester) and bump them up. I haven't tried it but everything I have read (not much actually) says that you usually get better results going up rather than down. Surprisingly, these shoot as well or better than factory in my .351 Win., even though they are .002 under.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote