New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavier than standard weight bullets.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've just started to make 180 grain FN bullets for my .30/30. I'm also going to try up to 190 grains as well. Anybody here tried this? Right now I'm using Malcolm Bone's jackets. The heavier bullet should work well for the .303 Savage.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deleted

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy,
I think it the mouth thickness is about 0.013". Have you had any experience with Malcolm Bone's cups? Their weights are quite uniform.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deleted

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just sent you an email. My swaging press is a Walnut Hill from RCE. Bone's address is : www.bulletmaker.com. His jackets start at 0.013"at the mouth and get somewhat thicker at the base. I see there is an article in the newest Handloader's Digest about using heavier than standard bullets in the .30/30.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deleted

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deleted

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy,
So far I've just made up some 180's. I formed them to a flat point in my RCE 6S die. For the 190's I'll just close the point enough to allow the core to come to a flat point.It wont be very streamlined, but it ought to hit pretty hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deleted