Tools

Re: Paper Patching Jacketed Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Brent
Do you know Rich or Dave

Thay look like twin's
Dave is the evil twin atleast that's what i tell Richard when i talk to him about his brother the Evil Dave..

I dropped by Richard's house this Monday at are 1:30 PM
and spent the day doing point nose design's
in .458
I tried to hurry Rich up on my .510 die set .
but hes just one guy in one little shop .
But he does a super good job on the swage die's
There really is no diffrent's between the die's that richard make's and the die's dave make in quality
and with Richard the good It's more a hand's on feeling.
The Evil Dave ...Has quite a few guy's there and a swage die set can take over a year to get
and dave's a po head lol both make very good swage press'e
i just like richard's Wallnut press for doing the one of a kind run's on ..
Dave's ( The evil one ) Mega MightSwage Press is very! good for doing up large cal/ heavy weight jacketed bullet's on
I hate to say it Gag Gag but for doing them it's the best
For automation or prodution i would have to go with Richard's Bench Master .We did up a few bullet's monday on it Talk about a time saver

And dont forget Dave Davison CH ..
although he make's press's there not up to the big stuff
And the die's well I am not going to say anymore here
The reason i am bring it up is just that if the bullet's you need cant be found Richard or daved can put you in touch with some one that can make them for you .
All i have are the .38 die's and the .458 die's
And soon the .510 die's my other die's are so old i hate to use them any more i took one set over to richard's house to show him .And all i can say is my old set's are colleter's item's now there that old .
I bought mine from Ted Smith here in Coos Bay Oregon
In 1964 ....
Any way there is also a swage set all ready done at
richard's in somthing close ..

10.15mm Jarmann This is a two die set that includes a core form die and a point forming die. The Jarmann was used between 1881 and 1887 by Norway and Sweden. Bullet diameter is .403" and the ogive is a shallow round nose with a large flat tip. It should be a good shooter and an excellent game bullet. The bullet is lubricated and used as is in the Jarmann but it could be paper patched up to around .412". It would be useful in the .405 Winchester and some of the old blackpowder 40's. List price for the set is $245.00 but it's $215.00 here.

Or a person could order a new set for only 350.00 in the right Diam
Richard's wallnut hill press's are going for 250.00
Just a thought

Pottsy
each .

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I found most of the desired 'acid free' papers in grades from 30gms to 110gms at the scrapbooking shop that my wife visits!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have spoken and emailed with both of them many times. I have never met either of them however.

I like the gear that both of them make. I use Dave's press Series II (an early model I bought used) for reloading as well as swaging, but prefer Richards Walnut Hill for swaging specifically. Never tried nor even seen a MegaMite - aren't they hydraulic?

I don't do production runs. I never sell bullets 'cause no one has the sort of money it would take to buy them from me. I have given a few away, but it's pretty damn rare.

If I order another die set soon, it will be for a .361" bullet for my .38-55, and it will come from Richard. Tthat will patch to .368 (land diameter) and I'll get a lot more powder in the cartridge that way.

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent

The MegaMite Is not the hydraulic one
The megamight is Dave's Largest Press it's for doing
up the really thick walled jacket's or Solid's bullet's in large Caliber's 40-and larger with wall jacket thickness's
in the 1.00 and larger .
I did use my old press i got from Ted Smith but i just bought Rich's Wallnut press and WooooYahhh it's a world of diffrent's my old die's dont fit into the new press
but there on there last leg anyway i bought them in through
1964-67 and the last swage die i pick up was maybe in or around ? cant remmber i think it was 1969?
From Ted Smith..I really like Richard's price's there far lower then dave's and it take's 1/6 the time to get a set from Richard's shop Dave take's like a year when you order a set ....Richard told me when i stopped by that it's time he was thinking of upping the price's on ever thing
so i ordered more swage die's and tooling and told him i was think of picking up an automated press if!! he could keep the price down to what it is now The 2 hp motor's are bigger wrapping on them then my 10 HP GE motor's are
Talk about Super duty ....
Order your swage die's now ! before you wind up paying more
That's what i did i just said to my self ok 350.00 for the three die set if i wait it will be like Dave's price's
450-----or 550 a set it took like one sec to make up my mine ya i will take three thank you.

I knew Ted smith he only lived about 5 mile's from here
I would go over ever now and again to buy a bag full of zinc washer's ( cheap gas checks ) for swaging.

What's your 38-55 chambered in ? A Win ?

I sell ever once in awhile bullet's i make up but only a few and only in lot's of 60 in a box at a time

It work's out best when the type of bullet is very hard to find or it's no longer avalibly then making them up for the guy's to run through there gun's work's out

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Brent
What's your 38-55 chambered in ? A Win ?

I sell ever once in awhile bullet's i make up but only a few and only in lot's of 60 in a box at a time

It work's out best when the type of bullet is very hard to find or it's no longer avalibly then making them up for the guy's to run through there gun's work's out

Pottsy

My .38-55 is on an original Highwall with a Badger barrel (so it's .368/.376 instead of .380 something in the grooves).

Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[quoteMy .38-55 is on an original Highwall with a Badger barrel (so it's .368/.376 instead of .380 something in the grooves).
]

I take it you been patching for it for some time ?
I have used sabot's cut from mild plastic
But that never worked out very well .
and the only paper patching i did was years ago and we used zigzag paper's

Well i guess i will dorp off this post as it seem's i am swaying the topic abit off center

Thanks all for the great insite

Pottsy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pottsy, I have been working with paper patches for a bit under 10 yrs - maybe 8 o r 9.

What's off topic?

Brent

one of us
posted Hide Post
I kind thought Sabot's might be
The post started out about Paper patching?

posted Hide Post
B.A.W.-I used to p.p. .308 dia. bullets up to .311-.312 for use in .303 British rifles,and they worked very well.
I am curious,why do you not use .416 p.p. bullets instead of .410 for use in your .404 Jeff.

FYI- The Seyfried article on paper patching both jacketed,and lead bullets is in the april 1990 issue of Guns&Ammo magazine.

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
"PP .308 to .311 in 303"

Don't know of any shit paper that thin, although some come close!

Here in the land of down under, we have to use what is available. Anything over 30cal is like special order from the big cities.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BAW, we require thicker toilet paper here in the US too.

For the inexperienced, PP generally requires two full wraps on the bullet, and for accuracy it is desirable to use no more than three. The object is to bring one calculated diameter up to another, using different thicknesses or weights of paper for the task. 9# onionskin generally has a dry thickness of .0025" in the US, and shrinks to .002" +/- after it dries. The thinest paper I've located to date is tracing paper or dress pattern paper which runs generally in the .0015 range. Some of the heavier onionskins, such as 30# are so thick as to have limited use. Remember that you increase bullet diameter by 2X with each full wrap, or 4X with two full wraps. Lead patched bullets can be sized after patching to a small degree, jacketed bullets probably not, though I have not tried that.

There is another technique used primarily for competition purposes with false muzzles, though I cannot recall the name of the patch. Two thin strips about bullet diameter, placed over the bullet base in the form of an 'X', then seated. It's utility in the field is questionable in my mind, but at the range who knows. It was quite popular amongst the Schutzen shooters back then.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've played with paper-patching jacketed bullets using adhesive tape and adhesive labels. Masking tape was inconsistent in thickness, while adhesive labels needed some form of lube (Rooster Jacket or water-based industrial floor wax). Used load data for bullets of the same weight in that cartridge, accuracy was about what a similar jacketed bullet would give.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Brent, question: Saw a Seyfried article some time back where he wrote about an old bore rifle, and had patched some RB's for it. HOW? I've tried and failed on that one. They were so...neatly done. Exasperating!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's one I haven't tried. I'll stick with just bullets.

Brent

PS. On the other hand, I have a bore rifle - a double by Joseph Lang. That's something I might have to try before I sell it.