Tools

Thinking about the NFL protests Login/Join 
One of Us
posted

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in.
Millions of dollars to a guy playing a ball game and he wants to snub his nose at the very country that affords him the opportunity! They'll not get any of my money if I can help it. I'm about to the point of boycotting the sponsors too.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit watching nfl because of the protest. Disgust me what they are doing.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The ONLY WAY that things will change is if or when the PUBLIC says "Enough Is Enough" and simply stops watching the games and supporting the companies that sponsor the teams.

How many of you are willing to do that???????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I've got no problem with that. I remember several years ago the American Rifleman ran an article that told what corporations were backing anti gun agenda.I don't recall all the names now but I do remember Kraft. I have not bought any Kraft product since.But just one guy is not enough;it needs to be a movement,because we all know that the sponsors ONLY concern is the bottom line.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I will not watch an nfl game until this anti american attitude is gone and even then I may still continue my personal boycott. I hope salarys are cut to make up for revenue loss. Just my personal opinion on the subject.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
I will not watch an nfl game until this anti american attitude is gone and even then I may still continue my personal boycott. I hope salarys are cut to make up for revenue loss. Just my personal opinion on the subject.

+1

My sentiments EXACTLY.

Haven't watched any games this season, and I LOVE watching my Broncos. Well, maybe not this season...
Actually, glad I HAVEN'T had to watch them this season. Frowner

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What REAL effect has any of the backlash from the Public concerning the players protest actually had???

Look around and see how much actual revenue the NFL and the companies sponsoring the games have lost?

While your at it, check about viewership levels.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, at least it has gotten this bunch to talking about it. It would be better if they were talking about the problems we have in our country that are causing the protests. After all, America is a country born from protests of the government. Boston Tea Party, anyone?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Sure. Boston Tea Party; pissed off populace about a 2% import tax. I have many complaints about the current tax system but none of them involves the disrespect of our nation by overpaid sports figures who make more in a season than I will make in my life.God bless them that they had the talent to get the job.But get real; It costs NOTHING to give fealty to your nation that gave you that right + future.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But get real; It costs NOTHING to give fealty to your nation that gave you that right + future.

and, of course, it costs NOTHING, to protest the nation when it is not following the ideals on which it was founded. Get real. Are you pissed because they are protesting, or are you pissed because they make a lot of money and are protesting?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
What REAL effect has any of the backlash from the Public concerning the players protest actually had???

Look around and see how much actual revenue the NFL and the companies sponsoring the games have lost?

While your at it, check about viewership levels.

What say you about your points? The way you ask your questions, it looks as if you have an opinion.

For me personally, it gives me a sense of satisfaction to not support an industry that disrespects our flag and nation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I accept that the black players were protesting police violence against blacks and racial injustice. I get it. They weren't protesting against the military, or the country in general.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170927-story.html

Yes, it was an in-your-face protest because of the flag and anthem. So what? I've been to athletic stadiums before. Less than 50% of the people in the stands stand erect quietly with their hand over their heart, or sing the National Anthem. Mostly they jabber, drink beer, eat their hot dog, laugh, take a piss, find their seats, act like fools, stay seated, or otherwise "dishonor the flag and our anthem". Maybe we just need to stop playing the anthem prior to games and save that distinction for more solemn events when people might actually pay attention.

In India before the movie starts at a movie theater everyone stands while they play their national anthem. If we are so eager to honor our flag, why don't we do that?

If you'll note, the people who pounced on the black players' protest as being about dishonoring our flag, our military, our nation, were all old, rich, white guys. Hmmmm, why was that, because they don't want to face the claims of racial injustice when 70% of their employees on the playing field are black?

The same type people don't mind that the NFL owners have blackballed Colin Kaepernick for initiating the protest while they continue to pay unqualified white backup quarterbacks to look like high school players on the field. I would rather watch Kaepernick try to save the Texans or watch Kaepernick play for the Bills; instead we get to watch Nathan Peterman throw five (5) interceptions in the first half of one game.

I won't be boycotting the NFL, or some mayonnaise manufacturer. Neither are that important to me.

I'm opposed to injustice of any kind, including the boycotting of a socially conscious half-black quarterback.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What say you about your points? The way you ask your questions, it looks as if you have an opinion.

Opinion or observation, not much difference in this case.

Has the anger felt by some of the American Public concerning the player protests had any real/meaningful affect on Professional Football?

For there to be any hope of seeing results from the anger expressed by some Americans over the protests of players, would not there have to be significant declines in viewership and sales of the sponsors merchandise/products.

As I have stated, I have not watched pro football since the 70's, but do agree that protesting DURING the playing of our National Anthem is wrong, protesting prior to or after is their First Amendment Right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Opinion or observation, not much difference in this case.

Has the anger felt by some of the American Public concerning the player protests had any real/meaningful affect on Professional Football? Revenues are down, some corporate sponsers have dropped the NFL.

For there to be any hope of seeing results from the anger expressed by some Americans over the protests of players, would not there have to be significant declines in viewership and sales of the sponsors merchandise/products. Next year when it's time to pay for all those season ticket.....we shall see.....

As I have stated, I have not watched pro football since the 70's, but do agree that protesting DURING the playing of our National Anthem is wrong, protesting prior to or after is their First Amendment Right. When they are "on the Job" they don't have a first amendment right.....when they put on that uniform they are representing their employer......I guess if their employer is okay with it then they can.....

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I accept that the black players were protesting police violence against blacks and racial injustice.

Until 80% of violent crime, including 57% of murders, in this country aren't committed by ~6% of the population then I don't want cops to change the way they treat blacks.

Racial injustice....I love it.....being protested by multimillionaire blacks that play a game for a living and gazillionaire black entertainers all whilst we just had a black POTUS for 8 years that didn't say one word about it. How ironic.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess if their employer is okay with it then they can.....

And THAT negates your whole argument!

As long as their employer allows it, than there is NOTHING anyone can do about it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://email.mail.breitbart.co...TtPpy2TSp0-b8Rfy2oOD

The horse is being led to the water.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the horse being led to water?

Is Monday Night Football still being broadcast?

If it is, than the effect has not been strong enough to stop it from being broadcast!

If it is still available for the Public to view, then the Public has not been as affected as you believe!

Unless or until it is no longer being broadcast it proves that enough Americans Do Not share your beliefs to make a difference!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time will tell. The commissioner and owners are not liking what their employees are doing to their product.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The players can protest anything that they want and I can not watch anything that I want to.

Me not watching makes no difference to the players or owners but hundreds of thousands of people not watching does. The networks will have to give free advertising time to their sponsors and the networks will in turn reduce the amount of money they pay the NFL for broadcasting their games.

Some headlines:

NFL ratings continue fall, latest Nielsen numbers show

NFL TV ratings are down 7.5 percent | SI.com

NFL TV audience numbers continue to decline early in 2017 season ...

NFL ratings are down again this season. Is it time to panic yet?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Time will tell. The commissioner and owners are not liking what their employees are doing to their product.

A. Time will tell, that is a fact.

B. The commissioner and owners may not like what the players are doing, but they have not done anything to actually address the situation, and that is also a fact.

Problem that some seem incapable of grasping however is getting a clear cut definition of the parameters of the First Amendment and what Freedom Of Speech actually means.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A. Time will tell, that is a fact.

B. The commissioner and owners may not like what the players are doing, but they have not done anything to actually address the situation, and that is also a fact.

Problem that some seem incapable of grasping however is getting a clear cut definition of the parameters of the First Amendment and what Freedom Of Speech actually means.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

What's to define? The owners can tell the players that they can't protest on the job. The first amendment doesn't apply, the owner's are not Congress.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The owners can tell the players that they can't protest on the job. The first amendment doesn't apply, the owner's are not Congress.

If that was really the case, why didn't the owners simply cancel the season?????