New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lockdown Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
My son called me earlier today + said that within the next 48 hrs. there will be a lockdown on any vehicles on the road w/ a 1K fine. I don't know if this is for major cities, just in Texas or nationwide. I know there's not much point in going anywhere because any stores that are still open don't have anything. Does anybody have any info on this?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a grocery run yesterday and yes, there are several bare spots on shelves, but there was only one item on my list that they were out of.
Otherwise, there was enough for people to buy to survive on.
I also heard this past Thursday that marshal law was going into affect at midnight.
So I'll take a wait & see attitude about this as well.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sneeze guards go up in major grocery stores in Texas. https://www.dallasnews.com/bus...ds-at-the-registers/

I tell you, I have a lot of respect for the people stocking the shelves, working in the deli. Checking customers out. They are as important as the first responders. I'm noticing managers working behind the counters also. They were positive and cheerful the other day when I stopped in Kroger's. Keep it up! You're doing great!

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These men and women are heroes too. https://www.dallasnews.com/new...-crunch-front-lines/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just arrived back home from 3 months in AZ to a nice new snow fall.

A much better place then my tin box in AZ.

I guess I will just have to run ar0ound the woods to have fun.

What a shame.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read today that H.E.B. will be giving their employees a $2.00 raise. They do deserve it for working under those conditions. We will pay for it of course just like we will pay for the early closings so the store can be sanitized. I know that we do have a problem but as usual, the media is fanning the flames. This business of promoting empty shelves is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the for what it's worth dept. it seems that most of the nation has opted for self voluntary quarantine. I know my son has a video game development company with 49 employees that can work from home as it's all computer work anyway. I think that in a large part of today's workforce (sad to say) is in the computer genre. Those in the construction trade are flooded. I have an exception as I build my metal products in the shop. They call in the order, I build it, I set it out + they drop the money in the slot.No physical contact. Nice work if you can get it. I don't always get it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not going anyplace for a while.

If you live in a rural area and have supplies and have not already been infected.

You should be fairly safe.

For those that live in the big city that is a different story.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are not rural, but not in a dense neighborhood. I have a small shop down the hill, may go get some stuff to work on and bring it to the garage shop. Hopefully things will stay calm enough to work some between naps. ARPF is not much for entertainment lately, long tails clog up the bandwidth.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I went to Whole Foods this morning at 8:00am, They were giving seniors one hour before allowing the general public in. Probably 20% of the people wore masks. Maybe 10% wore gloves. Shelves were full. People were orderly and the staff very helpful. The Whole Foods staff was not wearing masks. I wish they would for their own safety.

If nothing else, the trip made my wife's day. I let her out at the front door and went to park the car. I came back, went inside, couldn't find her. I called her on the phone and she had been told to go to the back of the line outside. I asked the employee guarding the door why. She said they were only letting seniors in. I called my wife and told her to come to the door. Got her confirmed as older than she looks, and we started shopping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that did make her day! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did go to the bank + post office today. The bank's lobby was closed but the drive-through was open. The Post office has tapes on the floor to mark 6' of distance between customers. I had to go in to mail my IRS forms, I know that there has been a slight moratorium but just like the virgin said: "It had to be done."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Travis + Williamson counties are in lockdown but not for essential personnel. That includes folks in the automotive trades + construction to name a couple. My sister works for a title company + they consider that essential as it is allocated with banks.