New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any ROCKHOUNDERS out there??? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Hi All:
I will be wandering/camping west with dog/pal across Texas in mid.-late Dec., looking for rocks, vistas, places to hike, BBQ spots (with thanks to Gatogordo's advice), flea markets, small towns with character, people to talk with, and general additions to my life. If any of you can advise me on rockhounding possibilities (possible geologic sites, clubs) I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.
Alex
aax1@bellsouth.net

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What part of Texas?
Caverns of Sonora (Sonora), Devil's Sinkhole (Rocksprings) - might not be open as deer season is still on, Natural Bridge Caverns, Caddo Mounds (East Texas somewhere) all come to mind on short order.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will check on those sites....if accessible, they should be interesting.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seminole Canyon State Park is on the Rio Grande.
They used to take you down and look at cave drawings. Not sure if they still do or not.

If you are that far west, you should go a little farther and go see the Marfa Mystery Lights!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take I-10 and head to Marfa, drop south to Alpine, then on south to the Rio Grande. More rocks and fossils than you will have room for and more characters than you have ever met before. When you get out there and it is night you will really know the expression, "black as coal".

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote