Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to put on bicycle grips? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I have these two grips for my bike. They are a kind of tacky, flexible plastic. You can see they have texture in the bore. I'm looking for any bikers out there who know how to put these on right the first time. I have a can of hair spray at the ready. My question is: How much time do I have to work the grips into position before they lock up on me? Please PM with any replies. Thanks.

I ride a 2010 Giant Yukon FX, in case you wondered. Just not as often as I'd like. It's been blazin' hot here for a long time, and I don't ride when heat stroke is a real possibility. I added a stem riser to keep me sitting more upright, a spring-loaded seatpost and a big, bouncy-butt gelseat for my aching ass. Next, the grips and handlebar extensions.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I use to use dish soap put hand grips on.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
WD-40 will allow you to slip them on and dissipate soon after.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Dip in boiling water first. They should slide right on.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DUCT TAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hilbily hilbily animal

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
homebrewer--I live in the desert area of West Texas and we set new records this year for consecutive 100+ days. I still ride atleast 5 miles daily. I too like riding in the upright posistion. I too wasted my money on a spring loaded seat post--to me they are a joke. I did buy a Brooks saddle and they are hell to ever get broken in, but I like it. I have a Trek 7000 which is a lower cost Trek but it serves me well. Btw dont know if KY jelly would work but if it does the makers are looking for another use so they can advertise it.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
That there's a sweet ride Homebrewer...I have an '04 Giant Yukon...I've rode it I don't know how many hundreds of miles since I got it, and it's still practically new! Sorry, no advice on the handgrips issue, I usually have my bike shop do the work for me....

Happy riding!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpetman says,
quote:
I too wasted my money on a spring loaded seat post--to me they are a joke.

I love mine. I can feel it oscillating. To have three points of shock reduction is great for a guy like me with a sore back. I'll never get rid of it-- the seatpost or the sore back. I hurt my back on August 3, 1973. I was not yet 16. It's never been the same. Constant pain. Always stiff and sore. Always a chance a twist, a wrong motion, lifting too much will take it all the way back to that day.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:

Do they stick really well once the soap dries? I don't want them to start twisting when I get above my fastest-ever speed of four or five miles per hour...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
homebrewer--Actually I bought a spring loaded seatpost for another bicycle--The Trek came with one, but the Brooks saddle wouldnt fit it so I had to buy another post and I opted to not spend th extra on the spring loaded. My experience with them is you have to be dropped from about 49.9 feet onto concrete before you get any action out of them. Aug 3, 1973--the day after I turned 40.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:

Do they stick really well once the soap dries? I don't want them to start twisting when I get above my fastest-ever speed of four or five miles per hour...

Dish soap or liquid hand soap.. Just put new grips on my quad, Also works well for rubber shower drain seals. Big Grin It dries up surprisingly quickly.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Your bike looks rally great but the main part is missing....the motor.... Eeker

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I used to use alcohol to put grips on motorcycles.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpetman says,
quote:
My experience with them is you have to be dropped from about 49.9 feet onto concrete before you get any action out of them.

You must have had it screwed up too tight. They are adjustable. There is a nut on the bottom that compresses or decompresses the spring. I have mine to where I can push down on it with my hands and it compresses abut halfway through its 35mm of travel. I sit my big, fat, pimple-laden ass obama on it, and it does me very well for smoothin' the bumps.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
homebrew-I have removed and put on dozens of handgrips .The best way I have found is to use an air compressor with a small tipped blow nozzle.Put a screw in the hole in the end of one of the grips,(or whatever,I use my finger to cover the hole)plug the nozzle in the other and hit the air valve.The air pressure will expand the opposite grip,and it will either fly off by itself,or be easily removed.Slide the new grip on as far as you can,and hit the end with the palm of your hand.If It wont go on all the way,give it some air pressure and it will slide on easy.Then you can reverse the nozzle,and remove the second old grip.
I have never used any type of lube to get them on or off.This menthod works the best I have seen.

I use the headset extension,along with 4" rise handlebars to sit more upright.
I have tried the seatpost shock,but have set up my suspension up pretty well,and dont need the extra cush.My wife likes it on her bike,though.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer,
I do it at least twice a month. Do exactly as JB says. Air on and off no problems. If your changing them because of discomfort, you have bike fitment issues normally.

2010 Stumpjumper S-Works 29er

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3390 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:

2010 Stumpjumper S-Works 29er
how do you like the 29er? is it that much different than a 26?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
It's really a tough question to answer. Most guys that drop a chunk of change for a new bike will never say "aw shit, I hate it". BUT.....the difference between the two is really based on what trail type your on. The 29er is much faster on fast rolling race courses with not much technical riding or switchbacks. Long climbs vary as well based on the terrian.

The 26 inch bike which I also have a full suspension Specialized Epic S-works is best or better than the 29er in tight technical singletrack with lots of decelerations and reacceleration. Big wheel keeps momentum but is harder to build speed back up as well.

I pre-ride every race and decide which bike based on each race course. If a race has some of both, I decide which bike will be in my wheelhouse more of the time.

That being said I think the bike companies are spending more R & D bucks on 29er now.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3390 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
homebrewer--yes the seat post is adjustable and I have it as loose as it will go but it's still about like a solid steel rod. On the brighter side my Brooks saddle is a spring type model and it gives very good shock absorbency.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:

homebrew- I have removed and put on dozens of handgrips. The best way I have found is to use an air compressor with a small tipped blow nozzle.
I do not have access to pressurized air. Looks like I'll risk the hairspray. I hope I get them on fast enough and in the right orientation.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Half the problem with bike grips is not the grip at all but the lack of angle in the bar ends. If you hold your arms out in front of you with your hands clenched like you were holding the bars and note the angle that is formed by your hands . It isnt straight at all , yet the handlebars on your bike are straight which puts a strain on your wrists that gets painfull quickly.

A method of attching motorcycle grips that should work with bikes too is to spray the inside of the grip with aerosol electrical contact cleaner and push the grip on fast. Once the cleaner evaps - real fast - the grip will never slide.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Figuring it couldn't hurt, I tried just plain water. The grip slid on with a bit of effort (not too much), I rotated it to a comfortable position and came back the next day. Tight as a Scotsman's fist. Looks like water is the way to go.