New
Find
Notify
Tools

Capsule wardrobe Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
One of my co-workers asked me if I had a capsule wardrobe. I didn't actually know what he meant, so I looked it up and it basically means you wear the exact same thing every day (you have x number of the exact same shirts, socks, jeans and all your socks are the same. You wear the same shoes everyday.

I guess a lot of big shots in the business world are doing this, as it keeps them from making extra decisions.

My co-worker is 30. He is kind of a millinial but not a millinial. He is intune with what they do, but served 15 years in the Army until he was blow up, and was home schooled on a ranch. He doesn't ever have his hand out.

He said that Steve Jobs and a lot of other people like that did it.

Had you guys heard of this before?

I kind of self conciously do it. I have 5 or 6 polo shirts I wear to work that have a design from my work on it. They are all black, grey, green, blue or red. And I only have 4 or 5 pairs of work pants that are basically the same. All my socks, shoes, and underwear are exactly the same.

Funny thing to think about I guess. My wife could take 3 or 4 hours to get ready to go anywhere. I can pack for a two week vacation in 15 minutes.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Keeps a guy from making decisions that don't really matter in life.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Kinda, though I never really thought it about from the angle of making fewer decisions. I have a bunch of the same blue jeans, all my shirts are the same western cut, and I wear the same boots and belt every day. Not because I want to reduce decision-making, but more because I don't really like shopping for non-hunting stuff. It makes more sense to just buy more of what already works. For working around the place, I wear jeans, shirts, and boots that have become too faded, tattered, or scuffed for my more professional setting. Seems like a nice simple way to go about it.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Just like DesertRam...I wear the same boots, the same belt, cowboy-cut Wranglers, and a Land's End long-sleeve Oxford cloth shirt every day. Every year or so I just order one of every color Land's End sells and that is my variety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36621 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to when i was in NYC - blue jeans, brooks brother full sleeve shirt, new balance 991/992 shoes and same belt I bought at gander mountain between Houston and Dallas.

Now it is whatever is on sale at Academy.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote