Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vitamin D Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Since most folks that participate in AR have a prostate, it might be beneficial to read up on Vitamin D, as it has been found to be beneficial for Prostate health.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Add zinc to that as the prostrate contains large amounts of zinc and it's often deficient in the American diet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not really.......

Dodging Prostate Cancer With Vitamin D
Going Against Earlier Findings, New Study Suggests High Levels of Vitamin D Don’t Cut Prostate Cancer Risk
By Kelley Colihan
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDMay 28, 2008 -- A new study shows that higher levels of vitamin D in the blood are not associated with a decreased risk of prostate cancer.

Researchers say previous studies in the lab have suggested that high doses of vitamin D may cut prostate cancer risk. But statistical studies that looked for specifically what causes prostate cancer and whether vitamin D is helpful have been inconclusive, they say.

In this study, researchers from the National Cancer Institute compared 749 men who had been diagnosed with prostate cancer to a control group of 781 men who didn't have the disease but who were similarly matched up in terms of age and other factors.

The study was conducted alongside a cancer screening trial.

The researchers found no "statistically significant" difference when it came to whether higher blood levels of vitamin D reduced the risk of developing prostate cancer.

Researchers did find a slight trend that the disease was more aggressive with higher concentrations of vitamin D in the blood. Study authors urge more research on that front.

In an editorial that accompanies the study results, researchers say that vitamin D deficiency is emerging as a "public health concern."

Sunshine Vitamin
Vitamin D is produced by the body when the skin is exposed to sunlight. However, people with darker skin and the elderly may not produce enough. Other sources of vitamin D include certain foods, especially foods fortified with vitamin D, such as milk and cereals.

The study was carried out by Jiyoun Ahn, PhD, and Richard Hayes, DDS, PhD, of the National Cancer Institute.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would appear from all of the studies listed here

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/cancerProstate.shtml

that Vitamin D needs a little help from other substances in order to be protective.

What do you do when one study says one thing and 10 other studies say another thing? Thats the question?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to argue about it one way or the other, most of the various mega-vitamin recommendations over the last few years have been proven either false, or actually harmful in larger doses, or to put it another way, the user has, at a minimum, more expensive urine.

I also wouldn't necessarily think that the recs of the "vitaminD" council would be unbiased.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There has beeen a long disgraceful habit of the medical establishment to put down nutritional therapy.While I've not studied the D/prostate connection I'm aware of many non traditional treatment s that can be very successful but have been damned by the establishment.
Nutrition should be looked at as a total nutritional state not looking for a 'magic pill'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alright Gato, drop the bomb. I know you think Bar-B-Q is beneficial for everything from Swollen Prostates to Male Patterned Baldness.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Alright Gato, drop the bomb. I know you think Bar-B-Q is beneficial for everything from Swollen Prostates to Male Patterned Baldness.

Hell's belles Kensco, it goes without saying that life without TEXAS Barbecue ain't worth living......... beer

Why bother to mention it? It's kind of like breathing........necessary if you want to live.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
There you go. I've quit cold-turkey for twelve more months I guess, now that I'm back in Oz.

I'm going to check the Vitamin D content in good BBQ. I know it's got great Vitamin B(BQ).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be a problem......open a restaurant with BBQ road kill kangaroo.....call it Q Roo..... or take in a Chinese partner and call it Fu Q Roo.... dancing

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I'm not going to argue about it one way or the other, most of the various mega-vitamin recommendations over the last few years have been proven either false, or actually harmful in larger doses, or to put it another way, the user has, at a minimum, more expensive urine.

I also wouldn't necessarily think that the recs of the "vitaminD" council would be unbiased.

I think you may need to read a bit closer. Nobody is recommending mega doses of vitamin D. Rather, according to my doctor, what they have done is attempted to determine what a "normal" level is for a person who gets some sunshine year around on a regular basis. From there, they have determined that many folks have insufficient levels. Then they looked at those folks who had insuffient levels and compared them to those who do.

I don't think they are stating that having a sufficient level is a cure all or that it will absolutely prevent cancer. Rather, I think what they are saying is that "some studies have shown that those with certain levels of vitamin D have a certain percentage less chance of developing the disease. That of course doesn't mean that they aren't other factors at work.

My doctor urges me to keep my Vitamin D3 levels up even though he does not have a financial stake in any company that sells it. Nor does he say take a big handful of vitamin D3. Rathr, he takes blood samples, has me sit in the sun, has me take vitamin D tablets, and monitors level closely.

And I think that is what the Vitamin D Council is saying as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and a larger study shows not only that it doesn't but that it has a SLIGHTLY larger chance of exacerbating prostate cancer.

I note that the D council is almost competely supported by companies that sell or make D.

Like I said, it doesn't make a damn to me if you make tea out of cow shit and drink it (an old cure practiced by blacks years ago in E Texas, I forget for what......needless to say I didn't take that cure either) but getting regular BLOOD tests for D levels sounds quite extreme to me.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Yeah, and a larger study shows not only that it doesn't but that it has a SLIGHTLY larger chance of exacerbating prostate cancer.

I note that the D council is almost competely supported by companies that sell or make D.

Like I said, it doesn't make a damn to me if you make tea out of cow shit and drink it (an old cure practiced by blacks years ago in E Texas, I forget for what......needless to say I didn't take that cure either) but getting regular BLOOD tests for D levels sounds quite extreme to me.

It doesn't mean a damn thing to me either if you make tea out or cow shit and drink it. But I would like to read these studies you are referring to. Could you please provide the citations, or better yet a copy of the studies.
Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm about to sound like a Vitamin-D expert.

Vitamin-D, the Sunshine Vitamin. The sun is your best source for Vitamin-D. Ten minutes of sunshine is the equivalent of eating 6.5 pounds of shittake mushrooms, or 150 egg yolks, or 3.75 pounds of fresh farmed salmon, or 30 servings of fortified cereal, or over two pounds of sardines, or 30 cups of fortified orange juice.

Vitamin-D is good for bones (may reduce the risk of hip fractures and tooth loss) and may help ward off colorectal cancer and heart disease.

Average blood levels of Vitamin-D have declined from 1994 to 2004 in part because more people cover-up when out in the sun to ward off skin cancer.

Doctors recommend for people over fifty, 10 to 15 minutes of sun exposure a few times a week, or consider 1,000 IU Vitamin-D supplements daily.

Thank you for your kind attention. Info complements of yours truly and AARP - The Magazine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post