beretta silver snipe - $228
s&w 52 - 150
s&w 29 or 57 - 140
s7W 41 - 100
FN supreme action $75
sako vixen bbl action - $108
sako vixen or forester - $174
best grade english walnut blank - $40

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of loucfir
posted Hide Post
You may keep the catalog, but please send all listed below...Please send address for Money order! LOL

Posts: 309 | Location: The Great Northwest | Registered: 25 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories. Had 2 98 7mm mag herters barrels stocked with the Indian rosewood. That stuff was beautiful color and veining. But was
so oily, that had to use Acraglass and sand smooth. They wore out checkering heads worse than hard maple.
Old George Herter claimed everything he sold was the best and he did have some good stuff
don't know why he didn't make it.

Posts: 164 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 24 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
found a 1966 herters catalog in a pile.
s&w k-38 - $81
s&w 52 - 150
s&w 29 or 57 - 140
s7W 41 - 100
FN supreme action $75

1966 dollar is worth $7.59 inflation adjusted.

I am glad I live in 2017 where in I can now buy a blaser r-8 sofa

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "net" converter I used for inflation adj. 1961 dollars to 2016 dollars is $8.03.

What's interesting is that the current price of several those guns, especially the Smiths, USED but in good condition fairly closely parallels the inf. adj prices.

The walnut blank seems to have exceeded inflation.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like looking at this kind of info.

It shows how poorly guns have retained value relative to other assets - s and p dividend adjusted.

Now I need to stop buying more guns. Maybe sell a few in the classified.

Saying that I am placing an order for 2 more gun racks for my room.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It shows how poorly guns have retained value relative to other assets - s and p dividend adjusted.

Actually the guns have retained value very well, and, if kept NIB, would certainly have exceded rates of inflation.

BUT it also shows how superior the stock market has been for more than 50 years, beating inflation by about 4 times, as opposed to the guns which, arguably might in NIB condition, be 1 1/2 times, give or take.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't know why he didn't make it.

they got caught importing exotic bird feathers for fly fishing and the fines killed them. however if that would not have happened and they still existed and got caught selling blasers the same thing would have happened

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I posted this several years ago. Still have the equipment.

My Dad bought reloading supplies from Herters. The prices were amazing. I still have several items. "We cannot accept stamps as payment" always makes me smile.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I well remember the prices prior to 1958 on Mausers + Springfields at around $12.00-$15.00 apeice. But then I also remember .19 cent gas + gas wars. When I had my FFL in the 80's when Reagen was in + the soviets collapsed I was getting Mausers still in the cosmoline for $150.00 each + matching ser. Lugers for $300.00 each. I bought all I could + then sold them all.Nature of the beast just as regrets are. All that being said,if anyone is interested (not hijacking this thread) I do have several boxes of .35 cal Herters bullets in 250 + 275G.that I'm not married to.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
The walnut blank seems to have exceeded inflation.

Trees don't grow as fast as inflation. I've heard from several of my stock suppliers in the last 5 years that it is getting harder and harder to find high quality trees that have the correct requirements for quality gun stock blanks. They are having to travel farther out of their region and pay a higher premium to the tree owner.

The internet has made people more informed about what their property is actually worth. You used to be able to tear old barns down and recover the wood for penny on the board foot, not so anymore every farmer thinks his old barn is made of gold now, even when it's termite infested garbage that is collapsing in on itself.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have a 1965 Herters Catalog that I have had my whole life. As a child I spent hours looking through that thing and dreaming of adventures I hoped to go on.

Fortunately for me...many of those became reality.

The world has changed immensely in those years. It is almost as foreign to me as looking at that Herters catalog would be for most 10 yr olds today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
U9 action (BSA) - $75
J9 action (Yugo or FN?) - $50
Browning BAR - $250

The "perfect" stock

Posts: 6389 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was building rifles in the early 80's I bought 640 bd.ft. of birdseye maple from a mill in Mass. Only wood they had in years + I bought it all to make stocks.Dumb ass yankee was incensed when I told him what I intended to do with the wood since it would make good furniture.Bottom line is that it only grows in that region + they cut more than they replanted.I still have a few drops;enough for knife handles,etc. but nothing in stock length besides I can't see well enough to do it anymore anyway.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a colt woodsman that was purchased new by my great aunts husband in 1950. He later was found on a dead end road in an oilfield with this pistol by his side and a bullet hole in his right temple. I do not know if it was ever shot again. My great aunt kept it all those years and gave it to my dad before she passed away. He gave it to me. I have not shot it. One of my safe queens. The check given to purchase it is dated 8/30/50 made out to Navel Co. for $60.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
found a 1966 herters catalog in a pile.
s&w k-38 - $81
s&w 52 - 150
s&w 29 or 57 - 140
s7W 41 - 100
FN supreme action $75

And the best of all they all could be order through he mail.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Side note my brother brought a dozen Herter brand no.1 traps by the end of the first year all the springs cracked and broke.

A lot of the Herter brand stuff was cheap junk.

Brought my first rifle blank from them to sporterize a 03-A3.

To bad I sold it.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWB,several years ago I bought a Colt Woodsman from an elderly bealer at a gun show that had been his fathers. Still in the original box,with paper from Colt confirming the conversion to 22LR ammo. Mfg. 1926.The dealer had Leukemia + was asking $700.00. I did not haggle,I just paid him.