Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

death of a hero Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
You're a 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded and dying in The jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam.

It's November 11, 1967. LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day. Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.

You look up to see a Huey coming in But, it doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety. And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!

Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.

He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho

May God Bless and Rest His Soul.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real life hero for sure. Not many men like that left....

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I think he died three or four years ago. It's shocking he wasn't awarded the CMH until George W. was the President. Perhaps a reflection of the idiots of the time who couldn't separate their dislike of the war with the hero's who went when called to do so.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Woodrow S tu2

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an incredible example of courage and love.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I believe Ed worked at the Galena Mine outside of Wallace Idaho as a shift in his later years...

Cal301906

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote