New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting fraudulent phone calls Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I get a ton of calls my cell phone.

Most saying my social security has been suspended.

I have actually started talking to them.

They know your name and sometimes your address. The name from telephone number and address from google.

Their calling from India. I heard chatter in the background.

I played along and then told them it was federal crime on numerous levels and also a crime in India eventually they will end up in a Indian jail.

They claimed to be from Pakistan - first positive check they were from India.

Then they hang up.

It’s clearly an identity theft ring.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I get those calls at least 3-4/week. I used to just hang up but now I stay on the line til Mumbai Mike or Calcutta Cal gets on the line, then I give him a bunch of phony info. When the call first started, they claimed to be the social security “department “. They eventually learned to be the social security administration. What a bunch of idiots...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I get those calls at least 3-4/week. I used to just hang up but now I stay on the line til Mumbai Mike or Calcutta Cal gets on the line, then I give him a bunch of phony info. When the call first started, they claimed to be the social security “department “. They eventually learned to be the social security administration. What a bunch of idiots...

I was surprised they had my info - name, address, age ect

All can be found on google

My social security number is probably compromised too. the irs issues me special id number with which to file my taxes.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
There was an article in the AARP magazine a few months ago about that + gave a # to report. Of course, out of the country, it would do no good. Concerning something, we all hate; telemarketers. Texas legislature just passed HB 1992 outlawing the use of using familiar #s to get you to answer the call. I'm not seeing any enforcement though. The ones that piss me off are the midnight faxes that wake me up + burn up my fax ribbon trying to sell me something I'm not interested in. I went all the way to the A.G. s office but since they were coming out of Canada nothing could be done. The girl did tell me though but said I never told you this but since you have their fax # on your caller ID you might consider sending them back several sheets of black paper.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big news would be if you weren't getting fraudulent phone calls. I don't answer the phone unless it is someone from my contact list. If someone else wants to leave me a voice mail, I'll return the call, if I feel like it.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The favorite one here is supposedly from Revenue Canada. We have a warrant out for your arrest unless you pay your owing taxes immediately, call this number. Smiler

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1595 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
you might consider sending them back several sheets of black paper.

I used to do that. I'm now retired, no use for a fax.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I heard a great way to handle any of these types of calls, especially telemarketers.

When the live person gets on the line, forcibly ask how they got this number. Tell them you are Homicide Detective Joe Smith and the number you called belongs to a murder victim and you are on site investigating the crime. Since you have this victim's number, you must know him so what do you know about this crime? You need to come down to the police station in the next 30 mins to discuss what you know about this. When they start back pedaling and telling who you are, insist they meet you at the police department in the next 30 mins or you'll have them arrested for obstruction and possibly accessory after the fact. Etc.

There's a great audio of someone doing this out there on the interwebs somewhere. Cracked me up when I heard it the first time. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I had two today. My AT&T plan protection identifies them as fraudulent and/or telemarketers and I just reject the call and block the number.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Majority hang up in 20 seconds when they know I am not a mark. I am just surprised they have not taken my number off their list.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The same gangs have NZ in their sights too. I don't get calls every week but some weeks get two or three. Most times the caller has an obvious Indian accent. I think they persist because the strike rate here might encourage them. Saw a TV news report not long ago saying the amount of money stolen by fraud here is on an upwards trajectory.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most calls are now robo calls.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I unfortunately have two cell phones (one personal and one work), and therefor get twice the fraudulent calls. The trouble is I normally get needed calls from non-contacts on my work phone. I answer a lot of needless calls. Probably 10+/day.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I answer some of them by saying attorneys office, how may I help you or just say county sheriff's office, what is the problem. They hang up pretty fast usually.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The problem I have with an automatic blocking is that mine is a business line so I never know if it might be a potential customer, however that being said, when my caller ID shops up unknown name + a not local area code thats a giveaway.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote