THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Homeowner Insurance - Through The Roof

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner Insurance - Through The Roof Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Some insurance companies no longer offer homeowner's insurance in Texas. Others just bumped-up their premium by as much as 70%. I thought the new rates were a mistake.....they weren't.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell me about it. I have Allstate right NOW, (until Saturday) when they are cancelling my policy. The reason? Because I am residing my house (my cost) + the carpenter is not finished. Also, that there are old cars in sight. Hmmm, they are on the next lot over + besides, what has that to do with homeowners ins.? I might have to try USAA again. I'm a member, but the last quote I got a few years ago was way too high. I had Farmers years ago, but then went to Allstate as Farmers jacked their rates. I told the girl that I'm sorry that you are having to pay out for all the California wildfires, but that shouldn't be my problem.I don't want insurance for every little thing, only for something catastrophic, like a house fire, etc. that is why I am paying out of pocket to reside my house. I'm not asking them for a dime.

Posts: 4250 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Top 5 Home Insurance Providers in Texas
Lemonade: Our Pick for Fast Claims.
State Farm: Our Pick for New Homeowners.
Allstate: Our Pick for Extended Coverage.
Travelers: Our Pick for Deductible Savings.
USAA: Our Pick for Military Members.

Good Luck

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have had USAA for both home and auto for over 35 years.

They are all expensive now.

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More expensive than most can really afford. I went to my bank today to stop payment on Allstate's draft on my account. They said they were closing the policy on the same day that they draft my account. Somehow or other, I don't trust them not to cancel the policy + still pull one more payment. That right there says it all in a nutshell, If you can't trust someone, then you have no business dealing with them.

Posts: 4250 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still fighting for a refund on my LLC insurance from ten years ago when I left the northeast. It's not a lot of money, just the principle that Allstate make a BFD out of it and tried to keep it. The state I lived in at that time is sending a refund, finally. They can all KMA.

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Insurance companies are a bunch of bet welchers. They bet you won't have a claim and you bet you will. When they lose the bet, they up the premium to get their money back. They compound it by uping everyone elses premiums whether they filed a claim or not. So when they have to pay claims, they end up making more money than they would have because they screw their other clients as collateral damage. They cry and moan but they are raping everyone.

The biggest scam is underinsured drivers. The ins co's have lobbied the states to get minimum liabilty payouts for drivers. So there are people driving cars that have only $25k in liability insurance. My sister-in-law was struck by a driver in a Walmart parking lot last June. She lingered 4 days in ICU with massive brain injury and died. The family only got a $25k payout. The bill from the hospital was $150k. Her sister had Medicare insurance and the gov't swooped in and claimed all of the payout. So the family is out-of-pocket for the whole affair. Including the $5K legal bill. These people shouldn't be driving cars if they can't afford at least $250K liability insurance.

Posts: 3688 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's horrible!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like my little issue about 4 years ago when my Jeep was stolen off my property. It was recovered a week later in Bastrop after being in a 3 car pile up which totaled my car. Since I only had liability, they would pay nothing, + since the car was stolen, they would not pay anything to the other 3 victims who had their cars totaled. So I was just out 10K, so what, right? Then I was informed that the wrecker yard wanted $750.00 for towing fees on a wasted vehicle, I told them to keep it. Also after the fact, I got a police report, + all that thief was charged with was "unauthorized use of a vehicle." Even after a few years, I am still pretty pissed off about the total injustice on this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you. That's a pretty sick turnout.

I only have PLPD on my 20YO caravan but it is my workhorse. I should up the ins for full coverage since everyone is rating old used cars as so valuable anymore.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe me, I have full coverage on my 1951 Chevy pickup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know why insurance rates are so high? I think you do. Plaintiff's lawyers and ridiculous claims.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that they are in the business of taking money in, not doling it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My auto just went up again. My cars also got older.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed1 Several years ago the county figured out that my shop was a shop + not a barn + so started to collect taxes on all of my tools, which they don't know what any of the equipment is, how can they access value? But they did + also continued to increase value for taxation purposes every year, until I had to get really ugly + remind them that tools (like automobiles) DEPRECIATE over time, not the reverse!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taxes are theft.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, you could not be more right.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed! Legalized theft, but theft just the same. How I fixed my tax problem with the county on my equipment was to contact a sales rep.from a S/M buying + selling outfit, + asked him to give me a quote on what they would pay to buy my whole shop. These guys generally pay a penny on the dollar, + I told him up front why I was doing it. I bought a lot of tools from him in the past, so he was happy to help. On his company letterhead, he itemized all of my equipment + said they would pay $6K for everything. In reality, there were a couple of zeros missing there, but I presented it to the county tax appraiser, who didn't like it one bit, but had to accept it as fair market value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about the left hand not, not knowing what the right hand is doing, I just got an email from Allstate (+ my individual agent)saying that since I had my auto with them, that they could quote me a homeowners as well, + give me a discount. Hell, they cancelled my policy a month ago!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Talk about the left hand not, not knowing what the right hand is doing, I just got an email from Allstate (+ my individual agent)saying that since I had my auto with them, that they could quote me a homeowners as well, + give me a discount. Hell, they cancelled my policy a month ago!

Sick and ignorant.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Makes you wonder if they would ever pay a claim if you needed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talking with my eldest son tonight who has a welding company. One of his trucks were down so he called the ins. co. + told them to cancel until the truck was back on line. 2 months later (now) he gets a letter from a collection agency for non-payment. He calls the ins. agency + the little girl tells him that the policy is to deduct the premium before cancellation. She had a sweeter way of saying it, but it was theft just the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had 3 cars on my policy, and gave the 3rd car to my daughter. When it came off the insurance they tripled my bill because 2 cars does not get me their multi-car discount. I bought a worthless junk beater & added it to make the 3rd vehicle. It will sit out back & rot into the ground. Stupid shit.

Posts: 15883 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just got the same bad news from my insurance guy today. I was with Farmers for years, then State Auto when I moved to Texas last June. Now they propose to raise my auto insurance more than 40 percent, and my homeowners by more than 60 percent. He wants to switch me to Safeco, another Liberty Mutual company. I'll probably go with it, and also volunteer for the 90-day tracking via phone app for a 10 percent discount. I'm a pretty careful driver, and have not had a moving violation ever.
I sure like Texas so far, except for the insurance and the damned property taxes. I don't want to move, but at this rate I may have to take a job stocking shelves at Walmart just to pay the bills.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you, Bill. The property taxes are outrageous + the insurance business is a racket. As I have said before, we should be like Arizona + just insure the driver; not every car you own; hell, you can only drive one at a time anyway. Besides, I have seen an insurance agent that wasn't living better than me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
...I sure like Texas so far, except for the insurance and the damned property taxes. I don't want to move, but at this rate I may have to take a job stocking shelves at Walmart just to pay the bills.

That's why I did not move there. Too expensive even 10 years ago.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lived here most of my life, love my home + property, + refuse to be run out by thieves + charlatans!

one of us
posted Hide Post
30% increase on homeowners premium from USAA (no claims). 15% increase on USAA auto premium (no claims or tickets). Unbelievable!

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Indeed! I talked with a friend who sold insurance a few years ago about that + he said that they just took straight cross the board rate hikes, regardless of claims. I think that is BS. I know they jack rates across the board, but if you have any claims, then they REALLY jack your rates. Like I told the agent from Allstate, I'm sorry that you had to pay out due to wildfires in California, but that shouldn't be my responsibility to compensate you for your loss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course, the reason for the continuous rate increases are due to the lobbyists who are paid by the insurance companies to keep it that way. It may be legal, but in reality, it's criminal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plaintiff's lawyers are your problem. They run cases (illegally in many cases) sign people up on contingency fees where they take 40% plus expenses, send their client's to their pet doctors and issue letters of protection guaranteeing the doctors get paid "if there is a recovery." What do you think the doctor's opinion is going to be? All of that inflates the reasonable settlement value of a case because the doctor and lawyer have to get their cut.

It's a crooked racket.

Then juries are awarding ridiculous amounts of money that make no sense.

That's why your insurance rates are so high, if you can even get it. Shut down lawyer advertising. Defeat every Democrat Judge. And put caps on non-economic damages and you might make a dent in the problem.

I've been on the defense side for over 35 years. It's the worst I've seen now.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, things have always been bad, but this current craze for cash over morality is getting out of hand.