Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Madoff/Social Security Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I was reading a piece in a local newspaper the other day about Social Security. What struck my eye was the fact that the social security system used to be supported by 5 workers for every 1 peron who received social security, and now each person that receives social security is supported by only three workers. And that number is expected to go down and down and down as time goes on because the poplulation of people eligible for social security is going up and up and up.

So, there are folks that are predicting that the Social Security System could go bankrupt at worst, or that many folks would receive far far less than what they should have received, at best.

In other words, the government is basically running a Madoff type scheme with social security. But its okay for the Government to do it, because after all, it is the government!

Can that be right?

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Not being politically savvy what I fail to understand is how Social Security and Medicare could go broke when one hears about the billions we spend on foreign aid, and frivolous federal programs and perks. Why is that money not filtered into the two systems mentioned?

Unless a country is a dedicated, proven and strong ally, I would not give them the time of day.

Easy answer. We have representatives who, for the most part, have only one interest....themselves.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.co...s/us-foreign-aid.htm

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is generally recognized that foreign aid is an effective tool for advancing US objectives.

However, people seem to think foreign aid is a big number. Relative to the whole budget it is fairly minuscule. In 2009 the Bush Federal expenses (budget) was just over 3.5 TRILLION, foreign aid was about 27 billion or less than 1%. OTOH SS and survivor benefits was about $678 Billion. So if you took all of US Foreign aid for 2009 and gave it to SS it would take about 25 years worth of foreign aid at the current rate to fund one years worth of Social Security. BTW Israel for many, many, years has been the top recipient of foreign aid, around 10% of all FA goes to Tel Aviv, the next in line......tadaaa....Egypt.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to understand this issue. IIRC, in a rare show of bi-partisanship; Reagan and the Democrats looted the SSA trust fund. So, SS has ZERO dollars in it. They take the money every day that comes in, and spend it elsewhere. They issue SSA IOU's, and send out checks/direct deposits.
Legally, SS cannot go broke, because the fedguv has promised to pay each month.

That is why obammy could direct the SSA to not issue cola raises the last two years. It is also likely why he feels justified in that rhetoric about seniors needing to help balance the budget by accepting the spectre of "cuts".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is why obammy could direct the SSA to not issue cola raises the last two years.

Absolute Bullshit!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You obviously know better, while all the evidence I have to show is that annual letter from the SSA telling me that there will be NO COLA increase this year of 2011. I got the same letter a year ago saying that for 2010. Of course, my wife's parents and my Mother got the same news in theirs, it must be some sort of conspiracy.

And of course, the persistent rumor that obammy had that press conference last fall where he allegedly said that seniors may have to share the pain by accepting a cut in their checks.

More bs, eh?

Keep working son, I want to go back to Africa again in April or May.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There isn't any EVIDENCE, moron, COLA is defined by LAW and the LEGAL definition has not called for them for the last two years.

"Rumor" is exactly that, more of your Bullshit. It's no wonder you're such a strong Jesus Junky, you'll believe anything.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It never ceases to amaze me how people will attack the person of the other when they disagree.

Why not take the high road, make the argument on the merits, and do not mention the other person, not even once, in your arguments.

Anyway, I am of the opinion that when the Feds start borrowing money again after they can't balance the budget for the _____th straight year, there is going to be some big trouble in this country. Big trouble!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
There isn't any EVIDENCE, moron, COLA is defined by LAW and the LEGAL definition has not called for them for the last two years.

I believe the use of the word "moron" by this
fool is more appropriately applied to the user.
Name calling in a civil discussion like this is a sign of either mental deficiency or a Democrat.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, screw you two, too. I don't like people posting absolute bullshit and react accordingly. If you like the bullshit blue plate special du jour keep believing what ISS posted above.

I'm neither a Democrat nor mentally deficient. I do take offense at people who post unadulterated bullshit, either knowingly or unknowingly.

Billinthewild's initial post in this thread shows how little he knows about the social security system, so who's the fool in here on that topic?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato

Rise above it, present your evidence, and leave it at that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Gato

Rise above it, present your evidence, and leave it at that.

Can you read beyond the word "moron"?

quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

"Rumor" is exactly that, more of your Bullshit. It's no wonder you're such a strong Jesus Junky, you'll believe anything.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you read beyond the word "moron"?

I can but when somebody calls somebody else a moron I usually quit reading because the person doing the name calling has ruined their credibilty by making an Ad Hominem argument.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If one cannot attack the message, one must needs attack the messenger.
If I may say so, civility IS an acquired taste for some.

The Administrator (obama appointed) of the SSA stated at a press conference in late 2009, that 2008 inflation levels caused a significant increase for 2009. He also stated that the inflation index in 2009 (and again in 2010) did not meet the criteria for a raise. He forgot to state that the obama administration deleted a few of the traditional indicators, and added a few to make the those numbers work for them. Just like the Income Index is adjusted by the IRS annually to provide for increased revenue levels every year. That creeping bracket thing...

It is the same logic/rationale that allowed Al Gore to redefine a millionaire as someone who made $250,000 four years in a row.

When Reagan and the Democrat congress looted the SSA, they looted the Medicare/Medicaid funds as well.

The bottom line: seniors have not gotten any increase in SS benefits since obama took office in January of 2009. They have had to contend with decreased benefits, and increased co-pays on Dr visits and medicine every year, to help make up for it. "Managed Care" is now managed for the benefit of the government and the health care providers. It's like 1984, "Less is More..."

regards,

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF:

I don't give a fuck if you don't care to learn, continue to believe ISS and wallow in your obvious ignorance of the Social Security system.

Rich:

I attack the messenger because he's a liar, simple enough. If I may say so, lying comes very easily to some, just as does threatening others when he is caught in his lies. You're so full of bullshit you should incoporate as a fertilizer manufacturer.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard the argument for privatization of SS. Can you imagine trusting the same Wall St. crooks, that brought the world's economy to it's knees with the mortgage scheme, with trillions of tax payers dollars? It would be in private offshore and Westchester bank accounts in 5 years!

Anyone disagree?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato
Lets see some facts inside of your name calling or do you feed at the public trough?

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
"Managed Care" is now managed for the benefit of the health care providers.
regards,

Rich
DRSS

I'm with Gato.....you're full of shit based on this statement alone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
Gato
Lets see some facts inside of your name calling or do you feed at the public trough?

When if I say it, it is based on facts:

But since you asked.......

quote:

www.socialsecurity.gov

COLA Home
Cost-of-Living Adjustments
October 2010

Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are adjusted to reflect the increase, if any, in the cost of living as measured by the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) prepared by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The purpose of the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) is to ensure that the purchasing power of Social Security and SSI benefits is not eroded by inflation.
For purposes of determining the COLA, the average CPI-W for the third calendar quarter of the last year a COLA was determined is compared to the average CPI-W for the third calendar quarter of the current year. The resulting percentage increase, if any, represents the percentage that will be used to increase Social Security benefits beginning for December of the current year. SSI benefits increase by the same percentage the following month (January). If the increase in the CPI-W is at least one-tenth of one per­cent (0.1 percent), there will be a COLA. However, if the CPI-W increases by less than 0.05 percent, or if the CPI-W decreases, there will not be a COLA.

BLS determined there was no increase in the CPI-W from the third quarter of 2008, the last year a COLA was determined, to the third quarter of 2010. Therefore, under existing law, there can be no COLA in 2011.

Congress enacted the COLA provision as part of the 1972 Social Security Amendments. Prior to enactment, increases in Social Security benefits had to be enacted by Congress on an ad hoc basis. At that time, inflation was relatively high, so the provision enacted in 1972 provided for an automatic COLA only if the increase in the CPI-W was at least 3 percent, the so-called “3-percent trigger.”

By the mid-1980s, as inflation began to wane, it became apparent that because of the 3-percent trigger, it could be possible that there would not be an annual COLA. In 1986, Congress enacted legislation to eliminate the 3-percent trigger.

Notice how much Obama has to do with the process.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
22WRF:

I don't give a fuck

If you want to have your credibility questioned by the way you talk thats fine with me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're fucking stupid enough to evaluate someone's credibility on the way they talk, that's fine with me.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GG,

First, let me confess, your erudite presentation, combined with a stunning descriptive vocabulary, have unhorsed me on the intellectual field of battle.

That said, it's people like you that give poor white trash a bad name.

I do admire the way you likely spent hours and hours sifting thru a maze of documents to find one, taken out of context, that would support you patently absurd stand.

You forgot obama's SSA head who said that the raise in 2008 was exorbitant, that it would have a negative impact on the economy, and that it would not happen again during the current administration.

Then you missed the one where the COLA criteria were "adjusted" to more closely reflect actual costs (to the fedguv).

No mention as well, about the looting of the SSA trust fund.

One last consideration, are you actually dense enough to believe the obama administration's official position that the cost of living has not increased to the point that seniors merit a COLA raise since January 1st of 2009 is true?

Go over to your grandparents house, and tell them that would you? You just think grammy used to paddle your ass for lying, this time she'll use an axe handle on your head and shoulders.

regards,

Rich

For the rest of you, this is a prime example of not out and out LYING!, but the skillful use of cut & paste, and taking things out of context.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato

If you are stupid enough to keep talking (writing) the way you do, that is fine with me. Showing everybody what a big man you are because you know how to say the word "fuck". clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two fucking idiots heard from one more time. I use the word "fuck" because it completely describes you two and your complete lack of economic knowledge.

If economic and social security knowledge was gasoline you two couldn't run a pissant go-cart around a cheerio.

I note that while I proved he was wrong in the first instance, Rick, the moron, has not offered one shred of proof for any of his "Obama/governmental plot" COLA pronouncements. Why, because they are absolute bullshit and he's a liar.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, you use the word fuck because you yourself believe that using such words and attacking the other person will divert attention away from the fact that your confidence concerning your arguments on the merits are not very good. Those who are confident of their arguments exibit a quiet calm confidence.

maybe you should go outside and play for awhile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm totally confident in my statements, which are not arguments, but facts. Would you care to bet large sums of money on ISS's? I will on mine.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never said your allegations of fact and your arguments on the merits were incorrect. All I said was try and make them in a less vitriolic manner and you will be taken more seriously.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's what I figured. Real money separates the truth from the chaff shortly. So who's confident in their statements now? Just for the record, unlike ISS, I don't lie and I am ALWAYS willing to back the verity of my statements (except for the obvious of opinions or jokes) with hard cash and lots of it.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again, such things as "betting money that I am right" and other ploys to divert attention away from the merits. Foolishness and childish.
A bet of money does not prove that you are correct. It only proves that you are confident that you are correct.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once again, such things as "betting money that I am right" and other ploys to divert attention away from the merits. Foolishness and childish.
A bet of money does not prove that you are correct. It only proves that you are confident that you are correct.

Of course, the results of the bet prove it. Put your money where your or ISS's "learned" opinions are and we'll see. Otherwise you're just proving that you have no confidence in your statements. In short, put up or shut up.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What are you.....some whiny-ass, bow tie-wearing pseudo-professor in a junior college somewhere?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato

I don't even know what you are talking about now. Can you read? It doesn't appear so.
As I said, I have NO OPINION on whatever it is you are talking about. My opinion has only been on your ad hominem statements and arguments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
quote:

What are you.....some whiny-ass, bow tie-wearing pseudo-professor in a junior college somewhere?

no. But it would appear that you are another person who isn't confident in what they are saying so instead you use ad hominem arguments to divert attention away from your ignorance.